What Can an Estate Planning Attorney Do for You?
What benefits can you expect to receive when you hire an estate planning attorney? Here are some of the services provided.
- Draft a last will and testament – This is the most basic form of estate planning but should still be drafted properly by an attorney in your state as each state has its own laws of succession.
- Designate beneficiaries – You also want to review your beneficiaries periodically or when you experience a life-changing event (birth or death in the family, divorce, marriage, etc.).
- Set up a DPA (durable power of attorney) and designate a medical DPA – This can allow someone to make financial or medical decisions for you if you become incapacitated.
- Find a workaround for the estate tax, as needed – For very large estates, this is essential so that your heirs don’t pay exorbitant tax rates.
- Reduce or eliminate the need for your estate to go through probate court – Probate can get expensive and increase the amount of time it takes for your beneficiaries to receive their inheritance.
- Establish living trusts so you can control your assets while alive but ensure they go to the right individual(s) when you pass away.
Estate Planning Attorneys in San Diego
If you live in southern California, you can easily obtain all of these benefits by contacting Petrov Law Firm. Call 619.344.0360 to speak with an estate planning attorney who is experienced with California state laws. We can help you to begin a new estate plan or review an existing plan to ensure your wishes will be properly carried out.