If you have fallen in a store or in a public place and suffered an injury, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical expenses or missed work. However, there are a few things that you need to know. Here are two key factors to keep in mind if you are seeking a slip and fall settlement in California.
- The statute of limitations is two years – This means you should be seeking an attorney pretty much immediately after you receive any necessary medical care. As it gets closer to the two-year mark, insurance companies won’t want to pay out as much because they figure they might be able to delay things until you end up getting nothing.
- Don’t sign anything until you have a lawyer – An insurance company may offer a payout to get you to sign something that waives your right to any future compensation. You only get one chance to get a settlement, so it has to cover all of your current and expected future medical expenses as well as any lost wages or future lost wages. Yes, a lawyer gets a cut, be he or she can also get you a much larger settlement.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Southern California, Petrov Law Firm has the experienced lawyers to help you. Operating out of San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista, we provide convenient locations to our clients and can help to maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 today to learn more.Read More
This is an important question to answer because you need to know if you are going to be responsible for your medical bills and any work you may miss or if you are eligible to receive some compensation to help you out financially while recovering from your injury. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Your safety is your own responsibility – That having been said, the store owner does have to provide reasonable care. The difference in opinion may be over what is considered reasonable.
- You need proof – Take photographic evidence at the scene, even if you aren’t sure anything will come from your injuries. If the store has injury report paperwork to fill out, do so. Get checked out by a doctor so you have a medical record of your injuries.
- Time usually has to pass to prove negligence – If the person walking in front of you drops a soda and you slip on it, that isn’t the store’s fault. If someone spilled a soda an hour ago and no one has bothered to clean it up, that makes a better case for you.
Get Legal Advice for Your Slip and Fall Injury Case
Before you sign any sort of settlement, be sure to contact Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. The insurance company is going to want to pay as little as possible. Having an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side is the only way to ensure that you get the full compensation you deserve. Schedule a consultation today.Read More
Not all causes of personal injury are actionable, but there may be times when you can seek compensation for your losses. Here are 5 of the more common reasons for personal injury suits in California.
- Slip and fall accidents – In order for you to be able to make a claim, you have to prove that the injury was the fault of the property owner. This means that the owner was negligent in caring for the circumstances that led to your slip and fall.
- Motor vehicle accidents – California is a fault state, so the amount of compensation will depend on whether or not you share some blame for the accident.
- Defective products – If you are injured while using a product properly, you may be able to receive compensation for damages, especially if the manufacturer should have known about the defect.
- Workplace injuries – Whether you perform manual labor or work in an office, accidents can happen. Unsafe work conditions can lead to a personal injury suit.
- Assault – Any time another human injures you on purpose, the results can be jail time for the assailant as well as compensation for the injury caused to you.
San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys You Can Rely On
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned above or in any other way where another person or business was responsible, contact Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. Our personal injury attorneys are here to help you receive the compensation you deserve.Read More
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, the first thing on your mind is probably receiving the proper medical attention. That is the right priority. Is there anything else you should think about while you are waiting for medical services to arrive? Here are a couple of reminders.
- If you can, take pictures of the conditions that led to the injury. Was the floor wet? Was the wet floor sign placed in a way that obscured its view from the direction you were walking? Was there some old carpet that had become bunched up? Was there some broken walkway in need of repairs?
- Report the injury and how it occurred to the owner of the location (or a manager on duty). Also, you should report how the injury occurred to the medical professional who treats your injuries so that there is a record of how it happened. Finally, be sure to report the facts to a California personal injury attorney so you can attempt to get compensation for your medical bills and any other losses you may suffer as a result of the injury.
The Personal Injury Attorneys You Can Trust in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm is your source for representation in personal injury cases in southern California. We have the experienced attorneys you need when you are recovering from an injury, are burdened with medical bills, and may have missed work due to the injury. Call 619-344-0360 today in order to schedule a consultation.Read More
If you have been injured, you may wonder how you will receive compensation for your medical bills, lost work, and other expenses that you incur. The solution will be related to the answers to the following three questions.
What Type of Injury Did You Suffer?
There are a number of different ways that may have sustained a personal injury. Some of these possibilities include:
- Car accidents
- Dog or other animal bites
- Slip and fall accidents
The way you were injured is important because different California state laws will dictate who is at fault for the injury and how the expenses will be covered.
When Did the Injury Occur?
Why is the timing of the injury important? It is because California state law has a statute of limitations on seeking compensation for an accident that leads to injury. As a result, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as you can following such an injury.
Who Is Responsible for the Injury?
Finally, you need to determine if there was any fault or negligence on the part of someone else that led to your injury. Most defending lawyers in a personal injury case will try to make a case that blame is shared due to various factors. You want someone in your corner who can ensure you are fully compensated for your losses.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego, California
If you have been injured in southern California, contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We have the experience and ability to help you maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 today to get started.Read More
In the state of California, the person (or business) who owns or occupies a building has a responsibility when it comes to the wellbeing of those who visit the property for work, recreation, or other reasons. However, that does not mean the owner is automatically responsible for everything that happens on the property.
Slip and fall accidents occur every year at commercial and residential locations. In fact, apartments and condo complexes are among the facilities most sued for personal injury due to slip and fall accidents. However, it is important to note that private homes also fall into the category of premises liability.
Of course, many injuries occur due to slip and fall injuries at commercial properties when it comes to both employees and visitors. Let’s take a look at 3 of the biggest slip and fall settlements in California.
- A man fell at work when an improperly used cleaning machine left wet streaks on the floor. Extensive injuries led to a settlement of $190,000.
- A person shopping in a shoe store sustained injuries due to the location of a sale sign that caused a fall. The $350,000 settlement covered the $115,000 in medical bills, plus other damages.
- A shopper at a large wholesale store slipped on a liquid soap spill and her kneecap was broken. She was awarded more than $400,000 in court when it was revealed that the employees of the store new about the spill and were negligent in cleaning it up.
Getting Help After a Slip and Fall Accident
As these cases show, most slip and fall accidents are settled out of court. But whether being offered a settlement or going to trial, you want a good personal injury attorney in your corner who can help you to receive compensation for all of your medical bills as well as for pain and suffering. Petrov Law Firm has an experienced legal team to help you receive the damages you are owed. Don’t try to go it alone. Call 619-344-0360 and maximize your compensation.Read More
Every day, 25,000 people slip and fall in the United States. Many of those accidents take place at work and may result in serious injury. Here are some of the biggest workplace slip hazards and how to avoid them.
The Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries
Here are a few things that California businesses will want to watch out for, and things that employees should report immediately in order to keep the workplace safe.
- Slippery surfaces
- Wet surfaces due to cleaning
- Wet surfaces due to leaks
- Wet surfaces due to foot traffic on a rainy day
- Poorly lit areas
- Uneven surfaces
- Poorly marked transitions (i.e. a sudden step down)
Use of wet floor signs, quick cleanup of dangerous situations, proper lighting, and well-marked areas where a person should watch his or her step can do much to reduce the number of slip and fall accidents.
If You Have Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
The first thing to do after an injury is sustained at the workplace is to fill out an accurate injury report. One should also communicate with and get contact information from any eyewitnesses. Since it is very rare for a slip and fall to happen without something that caused it, an important step is to document the problem by taking pictures before anything can be changed.
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are experts when it comes to helping slip and fall injury victims to receive the appropriate compensation. Call 619-344-0360 to learn more.Read More
If you slipped and fell, especially on a commercial property such as a grocery store or restaurant, you should immediately call a lawyer. If the lawyer can prove that it wasn’t your fault, you can get help in paying for medical bills and recovering money from time away from your job.
Don’t wait. When there has been a serious fall, the owner or manager of the property is going to move quickly to fix whatever caused your fall. The sooner you act, the sooner your lawyer can take photos and talk to employees about the problems on the property.
There are three ways the courts will determine if the business owner was at fault:
1) Did the owner cause the problem?
2) Did they already know there was a dangerous spot on the property? (Have there been problems in the past?)
3) Would a normal person taking care of the property have noticed and fixed the problem? (Are they neglecting the property?)
If you can answer yes to any of those questions, you and your lawyer can file a personal injury claim against the business. You will want to a doctor to document your injuries. If you don’t have a doctor, your lawyer can recommend someone who specializes in slip and fall accidents.
There is no need to feel embarrassed or to apologize for your fall. You are not a con-artist. You visited the business in good faith. You are just looking for the owner to take responsibility for the property.Read More