When you are injured due to the negligence of an individual, corporation, or public entity, you are likely to be dealing with an insurance company to receive a settlement to recoup your losses. Unfortunately, as much as you would hope for the insurance company to treat you fairly, they are more likely to side with their client and try to protect their own money. That’s why you may need a personal injury attorney if you have been injured in any of the following ways.
- Car accidents – This is the most common cause of personal injury cases. Remember that California is a tort state, so if the other driver was at fault, their insurance should be paying. Even if the fault is split, they should be providing a settlement for half of your losses.
- Trip and fall injuries – If the trip or slip was due to negligence on the part of an owner or employee, you should be compensated for the damages.
- Dog attacks – Unless you were trespassing on private property, the owner is always at fault for dog attacks in California. Usually, homeowners’ or renters’ insurance covers liability in this case.
These aren’t the only ways you can end up needing to file a personal injury suit, but they are certainly some of the most common reasons.
San Diego Personal Injury Lawyers
If the accident, injury, or attack took place in southern California, contact Petrov Law Firm today. Just call 619.344.0360 to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney at our San Diego office today!Read More
If you have slipped or tripped and experienced an injury, there are a few things you need to do in order to get the proper assistance. Here is a checklist of the three most essential types of help that are required after a slip and fall injury.
- Medical assistance – First things first. You need to get your health taken care of. If that means an ambulance ride or even medical care from an out-of-network provider, you have to get the appropriate care.
- Proof of fault – Some of this is self-help. If you are able to document the site of the injury with your smartphone, this is important. Be sure to get a copy of any accident report. Save all of your medical bills and any other proof of your losses. Get the contact information for anyone who is a witness to the accident.
- Legal assistance – Now, it is time to hire a lawyer. You are likely to be dealing with an insurance company. You don’t want to do that alone. Never sign anything without having an attorney to go over it. You may be signing off on a settlement that doesn’t even cover your medical bills, let alone your other losses.
Legal Assistance for Slip and Fall Injuries in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the settlement you deserve. Contact our San Diego law offices today at 619.344.0360 to learn what our experienced attorneys can do for you.Read More
Riding a motorcycle is a great way to get around Californian cities, especially when there is a lot of traffic. Here are a few tips to help you get where you are going as safely as possible.
- Beware of drivers – Many drivers are not good at sharing the road with motorcycles. There are also a lot of distracted drivers. It’s not fair for the burden to be on you, but the fact is that when a car and a motorcycle get into an accident, it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong. The consequences will be far worse for the cyclist.
- Wear the proper protective equipment – In a minor accident, the right helmet and clothing can protect you from serious harm or even save your life.
- Be modest – If you are a new rider, don’t go beyond your limitations. Always follow traffic laws and don’t try to do anything you are not 100% sure you are able to handle.
- Stay visible – Whether it is keeping the lights on your vehicle in good order or wearing something reflective on your clothes/helmet, anything you can do to increase your visibility could be lifesaving.
- Never ride if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs (including prescription medications that could affect your ability to ride safely).
Getting Help After a Motorcycle Accident in California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego can help you to get what you deserve from the insurance company. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to learn what we can do for you.Read More
When someone is injured by a slip and fall, the owner of the property may be responsible for any damages that occur. Sometimes the damages can be extensive, leading to medical bills, missed workdays, or even long-term disability. Here are some of the factors that the final settlement should be based upon.
- The extent of the injuries – The more serious you are hurt in the fall, the greater the final settlement will be. If you don’t experience any loss, there is no case. Sometimes, people just fall and nothing is hurt but their pride. Lawsuits are for injuries.
- The total amount of the medical bills – The at-fault party should cover all of the medical expenses for your injury. This includes any expenses that are incurred because you had to go to an out-of-network physician.
- Any lost wages – Wages can be lost in two ways due to an injury. If you miss workdays, that’s a loss. This is true even if they were paid sick days because you had to use those days, which have value. Additionally, you may have lost future wages if you are unable to return to work or have to change your type of work due to the injuries.
- Personal impact – The settlement should include compensation for intangible losses such as ongoing pain or disability.
The Help You Need After an Injury in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced personal injury lawyers who can help you to deal with the insurance company after an injury. Call 619.344.0360 today and let us help you maximize your settlement.Read More
Insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with, even when a person has a legitimate case. If you receive a settlement at all, it is likely to be way less than what you deserve. Here are three tips for dealing with the insurance company to help you get the best settlement possible.
- Don’t wait – Insurance companies like to use delaying tactics to stop you from starting a suit. They may promise a settlement but drag their feet providing it. Part of the goal is to make you accept immediately when the settlement finally comes. Part of the idea is to get you to wait until the statute of limitations is up before seeing legal action.
- Don’t give up – The insurance company may ask you to perform some ridiculous and tedious requests in order to provide you with an “accurate” settlement. Often, they are asking you to do things that are their job just to make you think the process is too difficult. They want you to give up, so they don’t have to pay anything.
- Don’t do it alone – Insurance companies want you to believe you can work it out with them and “save money” by not hiring a lawyer. In reality, they don’t want you going to a lawyer because they know you will get a much larger settlement if you have legal assistance.
Hire the Right Personal Injury Attorney in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego has experienced attorneys who can help you to get what you deserve from the insurance company after an accident or injury. Call 619.344.0360 to get your case started today and let us help you to maximize your settlement.Read More
Knowing what causes the most pedestrian accidents can help you to stay safer while walking. While not all of these factors are preventable on your part, some provide insights into precautions pedestrians should take.
- Low visibility conditions – Most pedestrian accidents happen at night, when the weather is bad, or during times of the day when visibility is reduced (dawn and dusk). Use extra caution when crossing roads in these conditions, even if you are using the crosswalk. Hi-vis or reflective clothing can also help drivers to see you.
- Poor city infrastructure – If there are few crosswalks and no pedestrian lights in the area, this makes crossing the roadway even more dangerous. This can happen both on the street and in parking lots that don’t have proper crossing locations.
- Electric and hybrid cars – Many vehicles are quieter than they used to be. You can’t walk out into the street while looking down at your phone and trust your ears to tell you a vehicle is coming. Some electric and hybrid vehicles produce little more than a whirring sound while coasting.
Regardless of the cause of the accident, the driver’s insurance should be helping with medical bills and other losses incurred.
Help for Injured Pedestrians in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced personal injury attorneys that you want in your corner when dealing with an insurance company to get a settlement. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to get the help you need to recoup your medical bills and other losses.Read More
In California, state and local governments are partially protected from lawsuits by the California Tort Claims Act (CTCA). This act makes it more difficult to sue the government, but not impossible. While the act claims that public entities are not liable for injuries the way an individual or a private business would be, there are some exceptions. Here is what you should know.
- The statute of limitations is 6 months from the time of the accident – This is much less time than usual for a personal injury case in California, so you need to act without delay.
- There needs to have been sufficient notice – If no one reported the dangerous situation to the government, they can’t be held negligent for failure to correct the problem. When it comes to a private business, a sufficient passage of time from when the dangerous situation arose to when the accident took place is enough to prove negligence, but public entities are not responsible for noticing potential hazards.
- There must be negligence on the part of a government employee – This is the only other way a public entity can be held liable for what happens on the premises. For example, if a government employee creates a dangerous situation and intentionally ignores it, then the public entity may be liable vicariously through the negligent worker.
Get the Help You Need for Your Personal Injury Case
Whether you are dealing with a public entity or not, you should always hire a skilled attorney to help with your personal injury case. If you are in the San Diego area, the experienced team at Petrov Law Firm can help. Call 619.344.0360 right away to get started.Read More
If you fall and get hurt in a store, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries. However, before you skip to the settlement, there are a few essential things to do. Here is a 5-step plan if you are ever injured in a retail store.
- Seek medical attention – If you have been injured by a slip and fall, call an ambulance. This is especially true if you have hit your head or think your neck or back may have experienced damage.
- Report the injury to the business – You will likely have to fill out an injury report. You can do this right away if your injuries are not life-threatening. Make sure you get a copy.
- Take photo or video evidence – Most of us carry a smartphone nowadays, so you should be able to document the scene of the injury and what caused the fall.
- Get follow-up medical care – Even if you don’t end up in the ER because your injuries are not life-threatening, you could still experience long-term health issues. Be sure to get the care you need in the coming days, weeks, or even months after the accident.
- Hire a personal injury attorney who practices in the state where your injury occurred.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm can help if you have experienced a slip and fall injury in southern California. Call us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started. We can help to maximize your settlement from the insurance company.Read More
It is summertime, and that means many will be out riding ATVs. It is a fun hobby, and parents with adventurous children may decide to get their kids into riding at an early age. However, ATVs are not a toy, and so it is essential to understand how to keep your child safe, even when they are having fun on one of these vehicles. Here are some tips before their first ride.
- Make sure your child has the proper gear – That includes compliant headwear and clothing that covers the majority of the skin (including gloves).
- Check local laws before riding an ATV on a paved road. Remember that the purpose of ATVs is for off-road use, so drivers won’t be looking for an ATV on the road.
- Adults should never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and that is even more true for kids.
- Don’t put two people on an ATV designed for one.
- Make sure the ATV is the right model for your child’s age.
- If your child is under 16, you should be there to supervise.
- Teach your child to use a safe speed.
- Start out with an ATV riding course before letting your child ride on their own.
If You Experience an ATV Injury in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm has experienced personal injury attorneys to help if you have been injured in an ATV accident. Depending on whose fault the accident was, you may be eligible to recuperate your medical expenses and receive compensation for other losses. Call our San Diego law office today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started.Read More
A slip and fall injury can result in massive medical bills regardless of whether you are able to block your fall with your arms and legs or your head ends up striking the ground. When you have been injured due to the negligence of an individual, business, or public entity, you should receive compensation for your losses. Here are a few tips to help you get what you deserve.
- Go to the doctor – Without a diagnosis, you are unlikely to receive any compensation. Remember that the settlement should cover your medical bills, so don’t let the cost of medical care stop you from getting the help you need.
- Gather evidence – Photos of the scene and a copy of the accident report will help to build your case. Remember that you should track your medical bills, missed workdays, and other evidence that you experienced losses due to the injury.
- Contact a personal injury attorney – You are going to be dealing with an insurance company that wants to pay out as little as possible. They will try to get you to admit fault or may engage in other tactics to reduce or eliminate your settlement. A lawyer is necessary to maximize your compensation.
Get the Help You Need After a Slip and Fall Injury in California
Petrov Law Firm has experienced personal injury attorneys to help you with your case in southern California. Contact us today by calling our San Diego office at 619.344.0360 and let us help you get the settlement you deserve.Read More