California has released traffic safety statistics for 2018 on the government website. These stats give us an insight into how safe (or unsafe) the roads are across the state. A couple of statistics stand out that are not strictly directed at drivers.
- Pedestrian fatalities actually decreased by 5% between 2017 and 2018.
- Bicycle fatalities went up by 6.89% during the same time period.
Whether pedestrians are using safer practices or drivers are being more conscious of sharing the road with those who are walking, it is good to see some improvement in the statistics. Unfortunately, those benefits are offset by the decline in safety for cyclists. Are cyclists failing to use proper precautions? Are distracted drivers just not seeing cyclists? It is important for bicycle riders and drivers alike to be educated about this trend.
For both walkers and bikers, visibility is crucial to safety—the more lights you have on your bicycle, the better. And reflective clothing at night is always a plus whether you are on a bike or going on foot. Don’t forget to wear the proper safety gear if you are riding your bicycle.
Help for Families Affected By Accidents in Southern California
From personal injury cases to wrongful death suits, Petrov Law Firm can help you to get the compensation you need if you or a loved one have been injured while walking or riding your bike in southern California. Get in touch with our experienced attorneys today by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
From car accidents to dog bites and slip and fall accidents to medical malpractice, there are many ways in which a person can be injured due to someone else’s fault or negligence. When this happens, you may experience financial and other forms of loss. How does a personal injury suit seek to provide compensation? Here are several ways:
- Medical expenses – The responsible party should have to cover all of the medical bills that result from the injury.
- Damage to property – If the injury also causes damage to your property (a car, motorcycle, bicycle, etc.), the repair or replacement costs should be included in the settlement.
- Lost work – If you miss work due to the injury, you should receive compensation for the days of work that you missed. If you are no longer able to work, the compensation should include the money you would have made during the rest of your career.
- Pain and suffering – This may include emotional damages that come from the injury. Pain and suffering settlements can often be larger than other more tangible expenses because it is difficult to put a price tag on these types of damages.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
At Petrov Law Firm, we have the experienced attorneys you want in your corner when seeking a personal injury settlement. To get your case started, give us a call at 619.344.0360. Whether you live in San Diego, North County, or Chula Vista, we have local attorneys to provide the assistance you need.Read More
Riding an ATV can be a fun way to spend an afternoon with family or friends. However, you don’t want your good times to be spoiled by an accident or injury. Unfortunately, ATVs become dangerous very quickly when someone treats it like a toy instead of a powerful vehicle. It is no wonder that between 2009 and 2018, it is estimated that at least 81,000 people per year were treated for injuries in the ER related to ATV accidents. In fact, in 2009, that number was over 130,000!
Here are a few tips to help you enjoy your ATV without adding to these shocking statistics.
- Always wear the proper safety gear – The proper helmet, boots, and gloves can reduce the risk of accident or injury.
- Don’t drink and ride – You wouldn’t get behind the wheel of a car while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, so don’t do this with an ATV either.
- Stay off the road – ATVs are not designed for street driving. Keep them off-road where they belong.
- Don’t overload the vehicle – If it is a single passenger ATV, never have a second person ride with you. Some ATVs are designed for two passengers. However, even in this case, no one under the age of 12 should ever be on an ATV, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
Getting Help with Your ATV Injury Claim
Despite your best efforts to remain safe, accidents happen. If you have been injured while riding an ATV, you may be able to receive compensation from the insurance company. Contact Petrov Law Firm today by calling 619.344.0360 to learn how we can help you to get the settlement you deserve.Read More
If you live in southern California, you know that walking is a great way to avoid traffic. Plus, the weather is pretty much perfect for a stroll all year long. However, you want to be sure that you remain safe when you walk, and that can be tough with drivers being more distracted than ever before. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe.
- Don’t be distracted – We mentioned drivers being distracted, but we notice it with pedestrians as well. If you are glued to your mobile device while walking, it can be easy to step into the street at just the wrong moment or even to catch your foot on a damaged piece of the sidewalk.
- Always use the crosswalk – Depending on your location, there may not always be a crosswalk available, but if there is, use it. The fact is that drivers are more cognizant of walkers when there is a crosswalk. Plus, if you are injured by a vehicle in the crosswalk, you have a much better case for receiving compensation from the insurance company.
- Look both ways – This should go without saying. Your parents have probably said it to you since you are a child. However, it bears repeating. Look both ways any time you cross the road (even if the road is supposed to be a one way).
Southern California’s Premier Personal Injury Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm is here to help if you have been injured in an accident in southern California. To get the assistance you need in maximizing the settlement you receive from an insurance company, call 619.344.0360 today.Read More
The overwhelming majority of personal injury cases are settled out of court. This is because the insurance company realizes that money is owed. It is just a matter of agreeing on how much. If the insurance company can keep this number as low as possible, they are happy to settle. However, you have to prepare properly if you are going to maximize your settlement.
- Gather evidence of negligence – If you want to receive a settlement, you have to have some evidence that the insurance company’s client is in the wrong. This could take the form of a police report from the scene of a car accident or an accident report filled out at the scene of a slip and fall injury.
- Gather evidence of loss – Keep track of your medical expenses, missed work, and other losses that you experience as a direct or indirect result of the injury.
- Find a personal injury attorney – A personal injury attorney can help you to maximize your settlement by letting you know what types of losses should be included. Also, the insurance company will know that you are not willing to take the bare minimum settlement to walk away, but that you are seeking help to get what you really deserve.
San Diego’s Trusted Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have experienced a personal injury in the San Diego area, contact the attorneys at Petrov Law Firm by calling 619.344.0360. We can help to ensure that you receive the compensation that you are owed for your losses.Read More
You may think of a preexisting condition as something that would hurt your personal injury case. For example, if you get whiplash in a car accident but already have a history of neck problems, won’t that affect your ability to get a settlement? Not if you handle it the right way. Here are a few important tips:
- Don’t keep it a secret – If it looks like you have something to hide, then you turn your asset into a liability. If you have a preexisting condition, make it known, but use the info in the right way.
- Have your doctor compare your records – A preexisting condition means test results, x-rays, and the like. Have your doctor compare the progress you were making with your condition to where you stand now following the injury. This can show that your new medical bills are resulting from the injury and not from the preexisting condition.
- Hire the right attorney – If your attorney is telling you to do something shady like hiding your condition, then you are with the wrong guy. Getting caught is a sure way to lose out on the settlement you deserve.
Trustworthy Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm have the experience you want on your side when dealing with stingy insurance companies to get a personal injury settlement. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to schedule a consultation. We look forward to helping you receive the compensation that is owed.Read More
If you have been injured in a car accident, slip and fall, dog attack, or in any other way that involves the fault of someone else, you need the assistance of a personal injury attorney. Having a lawyer on your side can help you to maximize a settlement, especially when an insurance company is involved. However, your attorney is going to need to understand the case well to go to bat for you, so here are a few questions you can expect.
- How did the injury occur? – This is important because if the injury was due to your own fault or negligence, you might not be due any compensation. However, if the fault is with someone else, or even shared, you may be able to receive a settlement.
- Do you have any proof? – Evidence that the injury was the result of someone’s negligence will help ensure that the case settles faster and for a greater amount.
- What losses have you experienced as a result of the injury? – Losses are usually more than just medical bills. Did you experience material loss? Have you missed work or even lost your job? Will you now have a long-term disability? Was there emotional stress added to the physical pain or damage caused?
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm is here to help if you have experienced a personal injury in southern California. Call 619.344.0360 today to get started on your case so you can receive the compensation you deserve.Read More
Bicycle accidents can turn deadly fast when a motor vehicle is involved. At the very least, a serious injury that requires medical attention is likely. Therefore, you want to do what you can to protect yourself. Here are a few tips that will prove beneficial for accident avoidance. Then we will let you know what to do if you have already been injured in an accident.
- Ride defensively – Your best weapon for defense is knowing where you are and realizing that drivers won’t always have that same information. While it is true that a driver should be aware of their surroundings, there are more distractions than ever before. Basically, you always have to assume that a driver doesn’t see you and ride accordingly.
- Wear reflective clothing – It also helps to have something reflective on your bike (especially since it is California law). This will serve as extra protection at night.
- Use bicycle lighting – Again, California has some legislation in this regard, but you may even want to go beyond what the law requires. Adding signal lights to go along with your hand signals may help drivers notice you.
And don’t forget to take your mask with you, while we are still dealing with this pandemic.
San Diego Attorneys to Help Accident Victims
The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if you have built up medical bills due to an accident. Call 619.344.0360 to speak with a compassionate attorney, and get your settlement started today.Read More
There are three important things that you have to do if you have been injured by a slip and fall accident. Taking these crucial steps will help you to get the settlement you need to cover your losses due to the injury.
- Step 1: Get the medical help you need – Your health should be your top priority after an injury. While step two is important, if you are seriously injured, getting care has to come before gathering evidence.
- Step 2: Document the incident – Hopefully, you or someone who was with you at the scene of the accident was able to take some pictures as evidence. Also, the place where you were injured should have had you fill out some sort of accident report. You should have received a copy of that.
- Step 3: Hire an experienced personal injury attorney right away – The fact is that companies will use the statute of limitations to their advantage to try and force you into taking a settlement that is way less than what you deserve. Going to a professional right away can give you the leverage you need when trying to get a fair settlement to cover your medical expenses and other direct and indirect losses.
Hire the Personal Injury Attorneys Southern California Can Rely On
Petrov Law Firm has the experience you want in your corner when working toward a personal injury settlement. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started today!Read More
When you experience an injury and it is someone else’s fault, you want help getting the compensation that you deserve. After all, compensation is usually going to come from an insurance company with an attorney whose one job is to make sure they pay out as little as possible. What are some of the more common personal injury cases in California, and why should you hire an experienced attorney?
- Slip and fall injuries – Getting your case going well before the statute of limitations is up is the first important step when it comes to a slip and fall accident. Now is the time to start gathering evidence so as to negotiate a settlement.
- Dog bites – Insurance companies payout money on a daily basis for dog bites that occur all across the country. If someone else’s dog has attacked you without provocation, you should at least receive compensation for any medical bills that you incur as a result of the attack.
- Car accidents – As more cars get back on the road, you can expect to see the number of accidents and injuries on the rise again. The COVID-19 pandemic didn’t stop people from driving recklessly, distracted, or just too fast. California is a fault state, so if it is the other driver’s fault, their insurance should be paying out.
Personal Injury Attorneys with Experience in San Diego
If you have sustained a personal injury in these or other ways, you need the help of experienced attorneys to maximize your settlement. Petrov Law Firm is here to help residents of San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista. Call 619.344.0360 to get started right away.Read More