When you know what to watch out for, you can be safer when walking. Of course, no one wants to be hit by a car while walking, but it does happen. Here are some of the reasons:
- Poor conditions for visibility – There are certain conditions that make things more dangerous for pedestrians because they increase the chances of a driver not seeing you. For example, rain, fog, and other weather conditions can decrease visibility for drivers. It is also more dangerous to walk after dark, especially in poorly lit areas. Be sure to wear something reflective or hi-vis if you have to be out walking in conditions that impact visibility for drivers.
- Hybrid and electric vehicles – These vehicles can be virtually silent, so you may step out in front of one if you are not paying attention. Be sure to avoid looking down at your phone while walking so you can pay attention. And don’t walk with headphones in. While you can’t rely on your hearing 100% due to quieter cars, it is still a useful sense for keeping you safe.
- City infrastructure issues – If you live in a town with few crosswalks or lights for pedestrians, you are at an increased risk. This can also be an issue in a parking lot that doesn’t have sufficient signage or crosswalks for pedestrians.
If You Have Been Injured in a Pedestrian Accident
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced attorneys you want in your corner when negotiating a settlement with a car insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 today to get your case started.Read More
If you experience a personal injury – a slip and fall, for example – what factors go into determining your settlement from the individual or company’s insurance company? Here are four of the primary things to consider.
- Medical bills – The more extensive the injuries, the larger the settlement. You need to be compensated for the medical bills you incurred, and that will include bills that occurred due to seeing a doctor who was not in your network.
- Lost wages – Did you have to use vacation or sick days? Did you miss other days of work that were unpaid? You should be compensated, not just for current lost wages but also future lost wages (for example, if you can no longer work due to the extent of your injuries).
- Personal losses – If you experience ongoing hardship due to the extent of your injuries, you should be compensated. This includes both emotional and physical damages.
- Other Intangible losses – Not everything you lose will have a set value. Personal losses are included as intangible losses. However, you may also experience intangible losses, such as loss of trust, safety, fertility, expectations. There are all sorts of things that could be lost due to an injury that doesn’t have a specific dollar value.
Get Help from Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
Sadly, if you try to work with the insurance company alone, they may try to only pay for medical bills or just add in a little extra to get you to go away. To get what you truly deserve, call Petrov Law Firm in San Diego at 619.344.0360. Our experienced attorneys will help you to maximize your settlement.Read More
Whether they view it as a part of their culture or just simply feel they are invincible and “able to handle it,” teens still seem the most prone to try to use their smartphones while driving. Even though this is a problem regarding all age groups, California does have additional laws that target younger teen drivers. For example, teens under the age of eighteen are not even allowed to use hands-free solutions for their tech while driving. The idea is to create the least distractions for someone who is still just getting used to driving.
If you are a teen yourself, how can you help your peers to drive safely and avoid the serious injuries that occur every year due to distracted drivers?
- Don’t get in a car with someone whose driving habits make you feel uncomfortable.
- Speak up if you believe the driver is taking dangerous, illegal, or unnecessary risks.
Keep in mind that about half of the deaths caused by distracted teen drivers are their own passengers, so advocating for yourself may save your life or a friend’s.
If You Have Been Injured by a Distracted Driver
Approximately 400,000 injuries occur every year due to distracted teen drivers, and other distracted drivers add many more injuries to that statistic. Petrov Law Firm is here to help if you have been injured in a car accident in southern California. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360, and let our experienced attorneys deal with the insurance company to ensure that you get what you truly deserve.Read More
When a person is injured due to the negligence of an individual or organization, there are laws in place to ensure they receive proper compensation for medical bills and other losses of both a tangible and intangible nature. But what if you are injured on government property? Here are some things you need to know about filing a claim against a public entity.
- It differs from state to state – Every state has its own laws regarding personal injury cases, so be sure to hire a lawyer in the state where the incident occurred. Not only will they be the most familiar with the state laws, but they will also be in the best position to negotiate with an insurance company on your behalf.
- Be careful with the statute of limitations – There is often less time when it comes to a public entity than any business or individual you may need to file a case against. For example, in California, you only have six months to file a claim against a public entity, whereas most personal injury cases allow up to two years.
- You need to show negligence – Either a government employee must be the one who is negligent, or there must be proof that the public entity had enough time and warning to learn of the issue that led to the injury and failed to take action in a reasonable amount of time.
Legal Assistance in Southern California
If you have been injured in southern California, Petrov Law Firm can help. Call 619.344.0360 to have one of our experienced attorneys handle your case.Read More
If you are injured in a store, there are certain steps you must take to ensure you receive the proper compensation for your medical bills and other losses, such as missed workdays. Here are a few of the things you want to be sure to do as soon as possible.
- Get needed medical assistance – After a slip and fall injury, it may be best to call an ambulance. Even if you think you are okay, you should still see a doctor for an examination to make sure there are no hidden injuries such as a concussion, whiplash, or fracture.
- Let the business know about the fall – Most stores will have an accident report for you to fill out. Of course, if you need immediate medical attention, ask for the report and tell them you will fill it out when you can. Get a copy for your case.
- Gather visual proof from the site – You can use your smartphone to take pictures or videos of the circumstances that led to the fall. If there were witnesses, see if any are willing to provide you with contact info.
- Hire a personal injury attorney to help you deal with the insurance company – This isn’t something you can do alone if you want the proper compensation.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
Petrov Law firm has the experience you need in your corner if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in a store. Give us a call at 619.344.0360 to get your case started today.Read More
There are two different types of damages that are awarded in liability cases. Do you know the difference between punitive damages and compensatory damages? Let’s take a closer look at the two types and discuss which one will help you to determine how much you should receive if you are able to settle out of court (as happens with most cases).
As you can tell from the name, this type of damage is in place to reimburse you for your losses. For example, you may have medical bills piling up, missed workdays, or other tangible expenses. There are also intangible expenses that are included in compensatory damages. For example, if you are paralyzed in an automobile accident, there is no tangible dollar amount for how inconvenient everyday activities would now become. However, there should still be financial compensation for this.
Again, these damages are just what they sound like – a punishment. If you end up going to court and winning, the court may impose punitive damages on the defendant. While the money is awarded to you as the plaintiff, the point is not to compensate you. That’s why you receive compensatory damages. Punitive damages are intended to teach the offending party a lesson. Imagine if a pharmaceutical company falsified information to get a dangerous drug approved by the FDA. Besides some company members going to jail, there would also likely be massive punitive damages, so no other pharmaceutical company would even think of trying the same thing in the future.
Help Receiving a Fair Settlement
Most cases end in a settlement. A company isn’t going to punish itself, so you can only expect to be compensated for tangible and intangible damages. Petrov Law Firm can help to ensure you get a fair settlement. Call 619.344.0360 today to get your case started.Read More
Insurance companies usually play a role after a personal injury. Not only do most individuals not have the money to cover medical bills after things like an accident, slip and fall, or dog bite, but most individuals and businesses carry insurance for this purpose. The only thing is, in order for the insurance company to stay in business, they hire people to be really nice to you while paying you as little as possible. Don’t get cheated out of a fair settlement by any of these insurance company tactics.
- Requests for signed or recorded statements – This is a trap. They hope you will say something on the record that allows them to pin part of the blame on you and therefore reduce your settlement. Only your lawyer should be in communication with the insurance company.
- The delay game – Sometimes, the insurance company will make you sweat it out, wondering if they will ever offer anything. By the time they come back to you with an offer, you are desperate and surrounded by medical bills. You better believe that offer isn’t going to be fair to you.
- Trying to make you give up – Sometimes insurance companies ask for ridiculous information, perhaps even info that it is not your job to provide. They do this to make it seem like a claim is just too much work. Sadly, many people give up without getting any compensation.
Get the Help You Need in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego is here to help! Contact an experienced personal injury attorney today by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
Slip and fall accidents happen all the time. It may occur because a sidewalk is in disrepair, a store employee failed to put up a wet floor sign, a rug has become worn, or any other number of reasons. If you are injured in this way, you may immediately know you need medical assistance. For example, a broken bone is usually very painful and easy to identify.
However, you should get checked out by a doctor even if you don’t see any immediate and glaring injuries. Here are a few reasons:
- Fractures – If you fracture a bone, you may just feel a dull ache. You don’t want to wait until a bone has healed wrong because then fixing it becomes very complicated.
- Concussion/whiplash – Even if you successfully stop yourself from hitting the ground, your head may have whipped around. This can even cause a concussion, regardless of whether you hit your head. Early detection of this type of injury can allow you to watch for symptoms of more serious damage.
- Linking the accident to the injury – There are injuries that may not reveal themselves with symptoms for days or even weeks. Seeing a doctor right away will help you to establish a connection between the symptoms and the accident, even if there is a delay.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have experienced a slip and fall accident in southern California, contact Petrov Law Firm. Our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you maximize your settlement. Call 619.344.0360 today to get your case started.Read More
If your kids got an ATV for the holidays, you want to be sure they are able to ride safely and responsibly. Here are a few tips to help protect your child from injury on an ATV.
- Always use the proper safety equipment – Don’t stop at the bare minimum required by law. This goes for adults too. If you are in an accident, the proper safety gear gives you the best chance of avoiding serious harm.
- Don’t ride double unless the ATV is meant for that – Some ATVs are made for two riders, but most are one-seaters.
- Always provide supervision – If your child is not old enough to drive a car, they shouldn’t be riding around on an ATV with you or another responsible adult present.
- Get your child an ATV riding course – You wouldn’t let your child drive a car without providing some guidance and direction. Be sure they get some instruction on how to ride.
- Encourage safe practices – Explain the dangers of riding too fast.
- Make sure the ATV is appropriate for use by a child – ATVs vary wildly in power. A child should not be riding an ATV intended for adults until they are at least 16 years old.
When You or a Loved One Is in an ATV Accident
If you or a loved one has been injured riding an ATV, contact Petrov Law Firm. Our personal injury attorneys can help you to learn if you deserve compensation, and we can help negotiate a suitable settlement with an insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More
People are starting to return to travel. Hopefully, hotels are ready. One thing that can suffer when you are used to having less traffic at your hotel is the safety conditions. If you have been injured on hotel property, here are a few things that you need to know about seeking compensation.
- Get a medical exam as soon as possible – If you are traveling, you may be worried about paying out-of-network fees. However, these expenses should be covered by the hotel’s insurance if you can prove they were negligent.
- File an accident report – Most hotels will have you submit an accident report if they learn that you were injured on their property. Be sure to get a copy to provide to your lawyer.
- Get contact info for witnesses – If anyone saw the injury, be sure to get a phone number so your lawyer can interview them.
- Document the scene – Everyone has a smartphone nowadays, and it only takes a second to take a few shots or a brief video that shows the area in the hotel where you were injured.
- Make sure you have proof you belong there – The insurance company isn’t going to pay out if you had no reason to be at the hotel or, worse, if you were trespassing. If the room isn’t in your name, you will have to be able to prove you were part of the party that was staying in the room.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If your injury occurred in southern California, contact the experienced personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm. Call 619.344.0360 today to get your case started.Read More