When you are injured due to the negligence of an individual, corporation, or public entity, you are likely to be dealing with an insurance company to receive a settlement to recoup your losses. Unfortunately, as much as you would hope for the insurance company to treat you fairly, they are more likely to side with their client and try to protect their own money. That’s why you may need a personal injury attorney if you have been injured in any of the following ways.
- Car accidents – This is the most common cause of personal injury cases. Remember that California is a tort state, so if the other driver was at fault, their insurance should be paying. Even if the fault is split, they should be providing a settlement for half of your losses.
- Trip and fall injuries – If the trip or slip was due to negligence on the part of an owner or employee, you should be compensated for the damages.
- Dog attacks – Unless you were trespassing on private property, the owner is always at fault for dog attacks in California. Usually, homeowners’ or renters’ insurance covers liability in this case.
These aren’t the only ways you can end up needing to file a personal injury suit, but they are certainly some of the most common reasons.
San Diego Personal Injury Lawyers
If the accident, injury, or attack took place in southern California, contact Petrov Law Firm today. Just call 619.344.0360 to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney at our San Diego office today!Read More
If you have slipped or tripped and experienced an injury, there are a few things you need to do in order to get the proper assistance. Here is a checklist of the three most essential types of help that are required after a slip and fall injury.
- Medical assistance – First things first. You need to get your health taken care of. If that means an ambulance ride or even medical care from an out-of-network provider, you have to get the appropriate care.
- Proof of fault – Some of this is self-help. If you are able to document the site of the injury with your smartphone, this is important. Be sure to get a copy of any accident report. Save all of your medical bills and any other proof of your losses. Get the contact information for anyone who is a witness to the accident.
- Legal assistance – Now, it is time to hire a lawyer. You are likely to be dealing with an insurance company. You don’t want to do that alone. Never sign anything without having an attorney to go over it. You may be signing off on a settlement that doesn’t even cover your medical bills, let alone your other losses.
Legal Assistance for Slip and Fall Injuries in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the settlement you deserve. Contact our San Diego law offices today at 619.344.0360 to learn what our experienced attorneys can do for you.Read More
In southern California, it is almost always the perfect weather for riding a bike. It is a great way to commute to work and beat the traffic. Cycling is also a healthy way to get some exercise. We want to provide some tips to help you ride safely, whether you live in a city or a suburb.
- Keep to the right – The only times a cyclist should move out toward the left part of the lane are when passing a fellow cyclist or when making a left-hand turn. Be sure to use proper hand signals to let drivers know you are turning.
- Use a bike lane if one is present – These are provided to protect you from drivers.
- Always wear proper protective gear – Even if you are over 18 and it is not a matter of the law, you still want to wear a helmet. In case of an accident, a helmet could save your life.
- Watch out for pedestrians – Cyclists have to follow the same laws as drivers. You should always yield the right of way to pedestrians, especially if there is a crosswalk.
- Have all the legal lighting and reflectors – Besides what is required by law, you may want to add even more lighting and reflective surfaces to increase your visibility.
If You Have Been Injured in a Cycling Accident
Petrov Law Firm can help cyclists who have been injured in southern California. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to learn how we can help you to maximize the settlement you receive from the insurance company.Read More
Before anyone gets behind the wheel of a car, there are certain things they need to know. However, when someone has been driving for a long time, they may become overconfident and forget just how quickly things can become dangerous. For example, a man may be overconfident behind the wheel because of the myth that men are safer drivers. But simple logic refutes that claim. Why would insurance premiums be cheaper for women if men were safer drivers?
Here are a couple of other things you need to know:
- Driving under the influence includes driving under the influence of anything – Most people equate this with drinking alcohol. However, you can also receive a DUI for driving under the influence of marijuana (even if it is legal in your state) and certain prescription medications. So always be careful with anything that impacts your reaction time and could lead to an accident or a traffic violation.
- If you are under 18 and driving in California, don’t use your phone – Drivers in California who are 18 and over can use their phone in a hands-free manner. However, if you are under 18, you can’t use your phone at all. This is essential because using your phones hands-free still adds an element of distraction, and a new driver really doesn’t need that.
Car Accident Injuries in The San Diego Area
Contact Petrov Law Firm today if you have been injured in a car accident in southern California. We’re here to help you get the settlement you deserve from the insurance company, so call 619.344.0360 to learn what we can do for you.Read More
When someone is injured by a slip and fall, the owner of the property may be responsible for any damages that occur. Sometimes the damages can be extensive, leading to medical bills, missed workdays, or even long-term disability. Here are some of the factors that the final settlement should be based upon.
- The extent of the injuries – The more serious you are hurt in the fall, the greater the final settlement will be. If you don’t experience any loss, there is no case. Sometimes, people just fall and nothing is hurt but their pride. Lawsuits are for injuries.
- The total amount of the medical bills – The at-fault party should cover all of the medical expenses for your injury. This includes any expenses that are incurred because you had to go to an out-of-network physician.
- Any lost wages – Wages can be lost in two ways due to an injury. If you miss workdays, that’s a loss. This is true even if they were paid sick days because you had to use those days, which have value. Additionally, you may have lost future wages if you are unable to return to work or have to change your type of work due to the injuries.
- Personal impact – The settlement should include compensation for intangible losses such as ongoing pain or disability.
The Help You Need After an Injury in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced personal injury lawyers who can help you to deal with the insurance company after an injury. Call 619.344.0360 today and let us help you maximize your settlement.Read More
Knowing what causes the most pedestrian accidents can help you to stay safer while walking. While not all of these factors are preventable on your part, some provide insights into precautions pedestrians should take.
- Low visibility conditions – Most pedestrian accidents happen at night, when the weather is bad, or during times of the day when visibility is reduced (dawn and dusk). Use extra caution when crossing roads in these conditions, even if you are using the crosswalk. Hi-vis or reflective clothing can also help drivers to see you.
- Poor city infrastructure – If there are few crosswalks and no pedestrian lights in the area, this makes crossing the roadway even more dangerous. This can happen both on the street and in parking lots that don’t have proper crossing locations.
- Electric and hybrid cars – Many vehicles are quieter than they used to be. You can’t walk out into the street while looking down at your phone and trust your ears to tell you a vehicle is coming. Some electric and hybrid vehicles produce little more than a whirring sound while coasting.
Regardless of the cause of the accident, the driver’s insurance should be helping with medical bills and other losses incurred.
Help for Injured Pedestrians in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced personal injury attorneys that you want in your corner when dealing with an insurance company to get a settlement. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to get the help you need to recoup your medical bills and other losses.Read More
If you fall and get hurt in a store, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries. However, before you skip to the settlement, there are a few essential things to do. Here is a 5-step plan if you are ever injured in a retail store.
- Seek medical attention – If you have been injured by a slip and fall, call an ambulance. This is especially true if you have hit your head or think your neck or back may have experienced damage.
- Report the injury to the business – You will likely have to fill out an injury report. You can do this right away if your injuries are not life-threatening. Make sure you get a copy.
- Take photo or video evidence – Most of us carry a smartphone nowadays, so you should be able to document the scene of the injury and what caused the fall.
- Get follow-up medical care – Even if you don’t end up in the ER because your injuries are not life-threatening, you could still experience long-term health issues. Be sure to get the care you need in the coming days, weeks, or even months after the accident.
- Hire a personal injury attorney who practices in the state where your injury occurred.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm can help if you have experienced a slip and fall injury in southern California. Call us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started. We can help to maximize your settlement from the insurance company.Read More
In a liability case, there may be two types of damages awarded: compensatory and punitive. The names make clear what each type is all about. We have previously discussed compensatory damages, which allow a plaintiff to receive compensation for loss. Now we will discuss what punitive damages are and how these may help others from being harmed in the same way you have been.
Punitive damages are punishment for negligence. In the case of a business, it may be negligence in failing to fix a trip hazard on their property or in failing to recall a product that was known to potentially cause harm. In the case of individuals, negligent behavior could be driving distracted or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
While a plaintiff may receive compensatory damages to cover medical bills and missed workdays, punitive damages are put in place to punish the entity or individual for wrongdoing. This is meant as a deterrent to keep the wrongdoer from repeating the indiscretion and possibly harming more people. As a result, these damages may far exceed the actual monetary loss of the individual bringing the case to court.
One thing to keep in mind is that an insurance company is unlikely to admit fault in an initial settlement. Therefore, you may not even have all of your tangible losses covered, let alone deterring the wrongdoer from committing further negligence.
Getting the Help You Need for Personal Injury Cases in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm is here to help you maximize the settlement you receive from the insurance company after a personal injury. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 so that we can help you get what you really deserve.
There have always been potential distractions for drivers. From conversations with passengers to flipping through radio stations to dashboard dining, anything that pulls your eyes off the road puts you and other drivers at risk. However, the smartphone has emerged as the single deadliest distraction on the road. Here are a few ways to keep yourself from being distracted while driving.
- Turn your phone off while driving – This is the best way to avoid distractions while driving, especially for those under 18 in California who are not even legally allow ed to use a phone hands-free while on the road. Unfortunately, it is often not possible because many of us use the phone for directions.
- Place your phone in do not disturb mode – This is another good option. You can use your phone for things like GPS but won’t receive an alert when a text or call is coming in. This way, you won’t be tempted to look at your phone or respond. Some mobile operating systems will allow you to automatically go into DND mode while driving and will reply with an autoresponder.
- Connect your phone to your car via Bluetooth for hands-free use – While still distracting, some states allow you to use your phone while driving in this way, and it is certainly better than taking your hands off the wheel.
Car Accident Injuries in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm is here to help if you have been injured by a distracted driver. Give us a call at 619.344.0360 and let us help you to maximize the settlement you receive from the auto insurance company.Read More
A slip and fall injury can result in massive medical bills regardless of whether you are able to block your fall with your arms and legs or your head ends up striking the ground. When you have been injured due to the negligence of an individual, business, or public entity, you should receive compensation for your losses. Here are a few tips to help you get what you deserve.
- Go to the doctor – Without a diagnosis, you are unlikely to receive any compensation. Remember that the settlement should cover your medical bills, so don’t let the cost of medical care stop you from getting the help you need.
- Gather evidence – Photos of the scene and a copy of the accident report will help to build your case. Remember that you should track your medical bills, missed workdays, and other evidence that you experienced losses due to the injury.
- Contact a personal injury attorney – You are going to be dealing with an insurance company that wants to pay out as little as possible. They will try to get you to admit fault or may engage in other tactics to reduce or eliminate your settlement. A lawyer is necessary to maximize your compensation.
Get the Help You Need After a Slip and Fall Injury in California
Petrov Law Firm has experienced personal injury attorneys to help you with your case in southern California. Contact us today by calling our San Diego office at 619.344.0360 and let us help you get the settlement you deserve.Read More