Public service announcements regarding distracted driving are not new in the state of California. The latest initiative encourages motorists to “Put Down Your Phone. Just Drive.” The effects of distracted driving can change lives in an instant. From serious injuries to fatalities, it is difficult to imagine how anyone continues to drive while using a phone in an illegal manner.
However, for those who just haven’t gotten the point yet, they may soon start to get a different kind of point – the ones that go on your license and lead to increased insurance fees. That’s right, in 2021, California is going to start applying points to distracted driving infractions if more than one occurs in a 36-month period. Each infraction will add another point, and those can add up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars per year in insurance premiums.
Will hitting drivers in the wallet finally encourage them to put down the phone and just drive? Only time will tell. But for now, it is just a reminder of how dangerous distracted driving can be and how important it is to quit this bad habit.
If You Have Been Injured in a Motor Vehicle Accident
Petrov Law Firm is here for you if you have been injured in an accident with a distracted driver. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started. We have the experience you need when going up against an auto insurance company to get the settlement that you deserve.Read More
Each state determines its own statute of limitations laws regarding personal injury claims. In California, how long do you have to make a claim if you want to receive compensation? Here are a few different answers based on the type of settlement you are trying to secure.
- Suing a government agency – Let’s say you experienced a slip and fall accident, and the negligent party was a government agency. This is when you have to take your case to a lawyer as soon as possible. California only gives you six months to go after a settlement when a government organization is the negligent party.
- Property damage settlements – If you are settling a property damage case, you get three years to make your claim. This is common in car accidents and cases of that nature. However, it is important to remember that this only applies to the property portion of your claim. The injury claim will have to be filed faster.
- Personal injury claims – In California, you get two years to file a personal injury claim. This should allow you to tabulate the medical bills and missed work. However, some injuries incur long-term care or the inability to continue a career. Therefore, the settlement may have to estimate your continued future losses.
Personal Injury Settlements in San Diego
If you have experienced loss in southern California due to someone else’s fault or neglect, now is the time to get your case started. Call Petrov Law Firm today at 619.344.0360 and let us help you to maximize your settlement.Read More
From car accidents to dog bites and slip and fall accidents to medical malpractice, there are many ways in which a person can be injured due to someone else’s fault or negligence. When this happens, you may experience financial and other forms of loss. How does a personal injury suit seek to provide compensation? Here are several ways:
- Medical expenses – The responsible party should have to cover all of the medical bills that result from the injury.
- Damage to property – If the injury also causes damage to your property (a car, motorcycle, bicycle, etc.), the repair or replacement costs should be included in the settlement.
- Lost work – If you miss work due to the injury, you should receive compensation for the days of work that you missed. If you are no longer able to work, the compensation should include the money you would have made during the rest of your career.
- Pain and suffering – This may include emotional damages that come from the injury. Pain and suffering settlements can often be larger than other more tangible expenses because it is difficult to put a price tag on these types of damages.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
At Petrov Law Firm, we have the experienced attorneys you want in your corner when seeking a personal injury settlement. To get your case started, give us a call at 619.344.0360. Whether you live in San Diego, North County, or Chula Vista, we have local attorneys to provide the assistance you need.Read More
California drivers could get a ticket if they fall prey to certain driving distractions, like checking and replying to a text message. Other distractions may not necessarily be a violation but could certainly result in an accident. Here are a few tips to help you avoid distractions while behind the wheel.
- Put your phone on Do Not Disturb mode – Most phones or operating systems have a Do Not Disturb mode that you can easily set when you get in the car and turn off when you arrive at your destination. Some devices can even send an automated message to people who call or text while you are behind the wheel. Just remember that your phone can’t tell the difference between you being a driver or passenger.
- Let your passenger have control – If someone else is in the car with you, let them navigate and DJ for your trip. This will keep you from being distracted by the GPS or the radio.
- When you drive, just drive – From eating to applying makeup, there are so many things that people do behind the wheel that take away attention from the road. No matter how many times you may have done it in the past, don’t let this be the time it results in an accident.
San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident by a distracted driver, you deserve compensation for medical bills, lost work, and more. Let the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help you to maximize your settlement. Just call 619.344.0360 today to get started.Read More
The overwhelming majority of personal injury cases are settled out of court. This is because the insurance company realizes that money is owed. It is just a matter of agreeing on how much. If the insurance company can keep this number as low as possible, they are happy to settle. However, you have to prepare properly if you are going to maximize your settlement.
- Gather evidence of negligence – If you want to receive a settlement, you have to have some evidence that the insurance company’s client is in the wrong. This could take the form of a police report from the scene of a car accident or an accident report filled out at the scene of a slip and fall injury.
- Gather evidence of loss – Keep track of your medical expenses, missed work, and other losses that you experience as a direct or indirect result of the injury.
- Find a personal injury attorney – A personal injury attorney can help you to maximize your settlement by letting you know what types of losses should be included. Also, the insurance company will know that you are not willing to take the bare minimum settlement to walk away, but that you are seeking help to get what you really deserve.
San Diego’s Trusted Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have experienced a personal injury in the San Diego area, contact the attorneys at Petrov Law Firm by calling 619.344.0360. We can help to ensure that you receive the compensation that you are owed for your losses.Read More
You may think of a preexisting condition as something that would hurt your personal injury case. For example, if you get whiplash in a car accident but already have a history of neck problems, won’t that affect your ability to get a settlement? Not if you handle it the right way. Here are a few important tips:
- Don’t keep it a secret – If it looks like you have something to hide, then you turn your asset into a liability. If you have a preexisting condition, make it known, but use the info in the right way.
- Have your doctor compare your records – A preexisting condition means test results, x-rays, and the like. Have your doctor compare the progress you were making with your condition to where you stand now following the injury. This can show that your new medical bills are resulting from the injury and not from the preexisting condition.
- Hire the right attorney – If your attorney is telling you to do something shady like hiding your condition, then you are with the wrong guy. Getting caught is a sure way to lose out on the settlement you deserve.
Trustworthy Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm have the experience you want on your side when dealing with stingy insurance companies to get a personal injury settlement. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to schedule a consultation. We look forward to helping you receive the compensation that is owed.Read More
If you have been injured in a car accident, slip and fall, dog attack, or in any other way that involves the fault of someone else, you need the assistance of a personal injury attorney. Having a lawyer on your side can help you to maximize a settlement, especially when an insurance company is involved. However, your attorney is going to need to understand the case well to go to bat for you, so here are a few questions you can expect.
- How did the injury occur? – This is important because if the injury was due to your own fault or negligence, you might not be due any compensation. However, if the fault is with someone else, or even shared, you may be able to receive a settlement.
- Do you have any proof? – Evidence that the injury was the result of someone’s negligence will help ensure that the case settles faster and for a greater amount.
- What losses have you experienced as a result of the injury? – Losses are usually more than just medical bills. Did you experience material loss? Have you missed work or even lost your job? Will you now have a long-term disability? Was there emotional stress added to the physical pain or damage caused?
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm is here to help if you have experienced a personal injury in southern California. Call 619.344.0360 today to get started on your case so you can receive the compensation you deserve.Read More
There are three important things that you have to do if you have been injured by a slip and fall accident. Taking these crucial steps will help you to get the settlement you need to cover your losses due to the injury.
- Step 1: Get the medical help you need – Your health should be your top priority after an injury. While step two is important, if you are seriously injured, getting care has to come before gathering evidence.
- Step 2: Document the incident – Hopefully, you or someone who was with you at the scene of the accident was able to take some pictures as evidence. Also, the place where you were injured should have had you fill out some sort of accident report. You should have received a copy of that.
- Step 3: Hire an experienced personal injury attorney right away – The fact is that companies will use the statute of limitations to their advantage to try and force you into taking a settlement that is way less than what you deserve. Going to a professional right away can give you the leverage you need when trying to get a fair settlement to cover your medical expenses and other direct and indirect losses.
Hire the Personal Injury Attorneys Southern California Can Rely On
Petrov Law Firm has the experience you want in your corner when working toward a personal injury settlement. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started today!Read More
When you experience an injury and it is someone else’s fault, you want help getting the compensation that you deserve. After all, compensation is usually going to come from an insurance company with an attorney whose one job is to make sure they pay out as little as possible. What are some of the more common personal injury cases in California, and why should you hire an experienced attorney?
- Slip and fall injuries – Getting your case going well before the statute of limitations is up is the first important step when it comes to a slip and fall accident. Now is the time to start gathering evidence so as to negotiate a settlement.
- Dog bites – Insurance companies payout money on a daily basis for dog bites that occur all across the country. If someone else’s dog has attacked you without provocation, you should at least receive compensation for any medical bills that you incur as a result of the attack.
- Car accidents – As more cars get back on the road, you can expect to see the number of accidents and injuries on the rise again. The COVID-19 pandemic didn’t stop people from driving recklessly, distracted, or just too fast. California is a fault state, so if it is the other driver’s fault, their insurance should be paying out.
Personal Injury Attorneys with Experience in San Diego
If you have sustained a personal injury in these or other ways, you need the help of experienced attorneys to maximize your settlement. Petrov Law Firm is here to help residents of San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista. Call 619.344.0360 to get started right away.Read More
A slip and fall injury can take place at any time when there is a hazard or negligence involved. What are the most common injuries a person will sustain in this type of accident, and how do the injuries occur?
- Hand and arm injuries – From scrapped palms to a fractured wrist, the hands and arms are locations for some of the most common slip and fall injuries. It is only natural to put your hands out to catch yourself if you suddenly fall, and this can prevent even more serious injuries. Unfortunately, setting a bone isn’t cheaper just because it is in the hand or arm.
- Injured knees – A slight trip may just result in falling down on one or both knees. However, this can still do a lot of damage. While the exterior results may be no more than a skinned knee, on the inside, there may be damage to bones, cartilage, or even connective tissue like ligaments and tendons.
- Facial injuries – The worst injuries often occur when a fall happens out of the blue, and the person can’t get their hands out in front of them in time. Face injuries may include a broken nose, lost or chipped teeth, broken bones, and other damage.
Southern California’s Slip and Fall Injury Experts
Petrov Law Firm is here to help if you have been injured in this way. Get in touch with our experienced personal injury attorneys today by calling 619.344.0360 to start working on a settlement right away.Read More