Car accidents are one of the most common reasons to begin a personal injury case. After all, injuries can lead to medical debt, missed work, or even long-term health issues. Here are a few myths you should know are untrue so that the settlement you receive adequately compensates you for your losses.
- Myth 1: You only can receive compensation for medical bills – Compensatory damages should include any tangible and intangible losses. For example, you may have had to use some sick days or vacation days while recovering from the accident, or you may have had to change your job due to the extent of the injuries. Lost benefits and future wages also count.
- Myth 2: The insurance company will make sure I am fairly compensated – The insurance company’s business is based on paying out as little as possible. If you just wait for a settlement and take what they give you, there is no way you received what you truly deserve.
- Myth 3: It is too expensive to hire a lawyer – Actually, the reverse is true. Without a lawyer, the insurance company may take advantage of you. The fee for an attorney is nothing compared to getting the settlement you actually deserve.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm has experienced personal injury attorneys to help maximize your settlement. Don’t let the insurance company decide what you deserve for your injuries. Let our team of experts help you get what you truly deserve. Call 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More
Insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with, even when a person has a legitimate case. If you receive a settlement at all, it is likely to be way less than what you deserve. Here are three tips for dealing with the insurance company to help you get the best settlement possible.
- Don’t wait – Insurance companies like to use delaying tactics to stop you from starting a suit. They may promise a settlement but drag their feet providing it. Part of the goal is to make you accept immediately when the settlement finally comes. Part of the idea is to get you to wait until the statute of limitations is up before seeing legal action.
- Don’t give up – The insurance company may ask you to perform some ridiculous and tedious requests in order to provide you with an “accurate” settlement. Often, they are asking you to do things that are their job just to make you think the process is too difficult. They want you to give up, so they don’t have to pay anything.
- Don’t do it alone – Insurance companies want you to believe you can work it out with them and “save money” by not hiring a lawyer. In reality, they don’t want you going to a lawyer because they know you will get a much larger settlement if you have legal assistance.
Hire the Right Personal Injury Attorney in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego has experienced attorneys who can help you to get what you deserve from the insurance company after an accident or injury. Call 619.344.0360 to get your case started today and let us help you to maximize your settlement.Read More
You should always see a doctor in the aftermath of a motor vehicle accident, even if you don’t feel seriously hurt at the time. There are also symptoms to watch out for in the weeks or months after the accident that could indicate your doctor missed something in the initial examination. Here are possible symptoms that could arise and what they may mean.
- Headache – This is one of the most common and persistent problems that can follow an injury. Headaches often indicate whiplash or a concussion.
- Pain in the Neck, Shoulders, or Back – Pain in the neck, shoulders, or back likely indicates a spinal injury. A misalignment could have occurred in the neck or somewhere else along the spine. Whiplash is common after car accidents.
- Numbness and tingling – If you feel numbness and tingling in your extremities, this could indicate nerve damage or a pinched nerve. There may be damage to the spine, misalignments, or even a herniated disk.
- Emotional Trauma – If you discover new or worsening anxiety, depression, irritability, or insomnia following an accident, it may indicate post-concussion syndrome, a brain or neck injury, or PTSD.
Head back to the doctor as soon as possible to ensure the symptoms are linked to the accident.
Get Help Paying Your Medical Bills
The medical bills can rack up, especially if you experience long-term symptoms. Contact Petrov Law Firm to recoup your losses by maximizing the settlement you receive from the insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 to get your case started right away.Read More
One of the worst things that can happen while traveling is a car accident. It can ruin your entire vacation, even more so if you experience injuries as a result of the accident. If you are on vacation, which court has jurisdiction over the accident? You need to know how to recoup your medical expenses and other losses.
As a general rule, you will need to settle the case in the state where the accident occurred. You will also be subject to the laws of that state regarding things like compensation. If you have been injured in a car accident while vacationing in California, the first thing to know is that this is a tort state. What does that mean?
It means that the driver who is at fault covers the damages (or it is split if both drivers share fault). So this means that if the other driver was at fault, you are in luck because their insurance should cover everything. However, you will want the help of a local personal injury attorney who can handle the settlement for you and make sure you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company.
California Car Accident Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm has the personal injury attorneys that you want in your corner if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in California. Call 619.344.0360 today to get your case started and to learn how our experienced lawyers can help to maximize your settlement.Read More
According to a report by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, nearly all motor vehicle accidents are avoidable. Human error and poor decision-making contribute to more than nine out of every ten auto accidents. What are some of the most glaring mistakes that drivers make?
- Driving under the influence – Whether under the influence of alcohol, illicit drugs, or legal drugs, the results are the same. Intoxicated drivers can’t make good decisions and can end up in serious accidents leading to injuries and even fatalities. Never get behind the wheel if a substance is dulling your reactions.
- Speeding – The speed limit may sometimes seem like a nuisance when you are late or don’t see any other drivers around, but speeding plays a role in nearly every major traffic accident. The laws are in place for a reason.
- Distracted driving – Since the invention of the cell phone, distracted driving has become a bigger issue than ever before. However, reading a text is not the only thing that could cause you to get into an accident. Eating, applying makeup, and even taking your eyes off the road to change the radio station can all result in a dangerous crash.
California Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured by a driver who was involved in reckless behavior, you are certainly entitled to compensation. California is a tort state, so the at-fault driver’s insurance should cover your medical bills and other losses. Petrov Law Firm can help you to get the settlement that you deserve, rather than the pitiful offer most insurance companies try to get away with. Call 619.344.0360 to learn more.Read More
When you hear of major accidents on Interstates, a truck is likely to be involved. Simply because of the size and weight of these vehicles, cars don’t fare well in accidents, and injures may be serious. When a truck driver loses control over what they are hauling, it can result in serval types of accidents.
- Rolls – If a truck takes a turn too rapidly, the whole thing can tip over. This would be very bad for any vehicles that are unfortunate enough to be next to the truck.
- Jackknifing – When a driver pulls the wheel too tightly, especially at high speeds, a truck may jackknife. This means that the trailer swings wildly out behind the cab, perhaps to one side, or maybe fishtailing several times. This can be disastrous for any vehicles that happen to be nearby.
- Overly wide turn – Semis can’t turn as tightly as a car. As a result, a driver may swing out into another lane and strike a car. Of course, other drivers should realize this danger and provide extra space. However, it is always the truck driver’s fault if they move into another vehicle’s lane and hit them.
Personal Injury Cases Involving Trucks in California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego is here to help if you have been injured by a truck driver in California. Our attorneys are experienced in helping clients to maximize their settlements in these particular instances. Call 619.344.0360 today to learn more and to get your case started.Read More
Whether you are in a car accident or you slip and fall, a head injury can cause post-concussion syndrome (PCS). The insidious thing about PCS is that you may not feel that bad after the accident. In fact, you may not even get diagnosed with a concussion if you don’t seek medical attention right away. How can you identify post-concussion syndrome in the days or even weeks following an injury? Here are some of the most common symptoms.
- Headaches – usually tension headaches that could also be related to a neck injury
- Vertigo or dizziness
- Trouble sleeping
- Memory or concentration problems
- Tinnitus – ringing in your ears
- Sensory sensitivities – especially to bright lights or loud sounds
- Blurry vision
The good news is that the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases in California is two years. So even if you discover long-term effects from your accident in the months that follow, you still have time to begin your case and receive compensation.
Of course, you will need to be examined by a doctor to determine if your injuries and symptoms are related to the accident. You can’t just diagnose yourself from a symptoms list. Be sure to track things like medical expenses and missed days of work.
Get the Help You Need for a Personal Injury Case in Southern California
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if you have been injured in an accident in the state of California. Contact our San Diego offices today by calling 619.344.0360, and we will help you to receive the compensation you deserve.Read More
A car accident can put a damper on your vacation real quick, especially if you experience injuries as a result. Here are three things to keep in mind if you are injured in a car accident while vacationing in California.
- California laws apply – For example, California is an at-fault (tort) state. That means the driver who is at fault is the one who needs to cover the losses of the other driver. So if someone else has injured you because they were driving distracted, under the influence, or violating traffic regulations, their insurance should pay for your damages.
- You have to file suit in California – Once again, this means California law applies. Personal injury suits in CA have to be brought up within two years. So don’t sit on an injury for months to see how bad it is or if you experience any long-term effects before lawyering up.
- You should hire a California-based personal injury attorney – It’s the only way to ensure that your lawyer understands California state law and can help you maximize the settlement offered by the insurance company. Knowing that you are out of state will only embolden the insurance company to try and get you to take less in order to walk away.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm is highly experienced with all sorts of car accident cases. From cars to motorcycles to trucks, you can count on us to help you get what you deserve. Call 619.3444.0360 to get started today!Read More
Have you been injured due to the fault or negligence of another person, business, or public entity? Then you need to take these three essential steps to ensure you receive the proper care and compensation.
- Seek medical care as needed – Some shy away from medical care due to the expense. Others don’t think they were injured that badly. However, later you may begin to experience symptoms of a whiplash injury, post-concussion syndrome, or even post-traumatic stress due to the trauma of an accident.
- Gather evidence – Photographs of the scene are usually the best form of evidence. This is especially true in the wake of a car accident or a slip and fall injury. There may also be a police report or accident report. If so, be sure to get a copy. Keep track of all of your medical bills and any missed work. These are tangible losses and are necessary if you are going to seek compensation for the injury.
- Hire an experienced personal injury attorney – After a personal injury, an insurance company usually takes over to determine if there is a possible claim. They may even offer a settlement. Never sign anything without legal counsel. Remember that the insurance company is thinking about their own bottom line first.
Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm is here to help you get what you deserve from the insurance company that is handling your personal injury settlement. Give us a call at 619.344.0360 today to get our experienced attorneys on your side.Read More
Car accidents can lead to expensive medical bills and auto repairs. You need to be compensated for your losses. In the aftermath of a car accident, here are three things to keep in mind.
- Keep track of your losses – This includes your medical bills, the damages to your vehicle, missed workdays, and any long-term damages you may have experienced. Additional pain and suffering should also be added on to compensate you for emotional pain and other less tangible damages.
- Don’t sign anything without a lawyer reviewing it – Agreeing to the initial settlement is rarely in the best interests of the injured party. The insurance company tries to come up with the minimal amount that they think you will accept in order to make things go away as quickly and cheaply as possible. Remember that insurance companies are big businesses. They are not your friend or a wealthy benefactor, regardless of whether it is the other driver’s insurance company or your own.
- Hire a personal injury attorney – You want an experienced lawyer on your side who knows how to deal with insurance companies. This will ensure that you receive a fair settlement in a reasonable amount of time.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Lawyers
At Petrov Law Firm, we have the experienced personal injury lawyers you want in your corner when trying to reach a settlement with an insurance company. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to go over the particulars of your case. We look forward to helping you get the settlement that you deserve!Read More