When you experience an injury and it is someone else’s fault, you want help getting the compensation that you deserve. After all, compensation is usually going to come from an insurance company with an attorney whose one job is to make sure they pay out as little as possible. What are some of the more common personal injury cases in California, and why should you hire an experienced attorney?
- Slip and fall injuries – Getting your case going well before the statute of limitations is up is the first important step when it comes to a slip and fall accident. Now is the time to start gathering evidence so as to negotiate a settlement.
- Dog bites – Insurance companies payout money on a daily basis for dog bites that occur all across the country. If someone else’s dog has attacked you without provocation, you should at least receive compensation for any medical bills that you incur as a result of the attack.
- Car accidents – As more cars get back on the road, you can expect to see the number of accidents and injuries on the rise again. The COVID-19 pandemic didn’t stop people from driving recklessly, distracted, or just too fast. California is a fault state, so if it is the other driver’s fault, their insurance should be paying out.
Personal Injury Attorneys with Experience in San Diego
If you have sustained a personal injury in these or other ways, you need the help of experienced attorneys to maximize your settlement. Petrov Law Firm is here to help residents of San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista. Call 619.344.0360 to get started right away.Read More
You can’t account for what other people on the road are going to do, so the best way to protect your family is to avoid risky behaviors when driving. Here are three situations that cause most accidents on the road.
- Driving under the influence – Whether it is alcohol or a prescription medication, driving under the influence of any substance that can dull your senses is dangerous. Also, avoid driving while drowsy because this can have similarly dangerous effects.
- Distracted driving – California has laws regarding the use of handheld devices while driving for this very reason – it is dangerous. However, it can also be distracting to smoke, put on make-up, or eat while driving. Avoid anything that can take your eyes off the road or slow down your reaction time.
- Driving too fast – This is actually what is responsible for the highest percentage of car accidents that result in serious injuries or fatalities. Driving the speed limit (or even slower if circumstances dictate it) is the best way to keep your family safe on the road.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If another driver has caused an accident that has resulted in injury for you or a family member, consult the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm in San Diego. We have the experience that you want in your corner when dealing with car insurance companies to try and maximize your settlement and get what you really deserve. Call 619.344.0360 to see if you are eligible for compensation.Read More
Driving a car always calls for exercising proper caution. However, there are some circumstances that make it even more important to protect yourself and your passengers, even if that means driving slower than the posted speed limit. Here are a few road conditions that cause problems for many drivers.
- Construction – Road work poses extra dangers both when it comes to road conditions as well as proximity to the workers. Be sure to follow the posted road signs, which should provide you with instructions for safe driving such as a lower speed limit or lane usage restrictions.
- Inclement weather – While California is known for beautiful weather, there are still rainstorms and other conditions that may make roadways slick. Remember that wet roads mean that you will need more time to stop, so leave extra room between you and the car in front of you.
- Driving at night – There are many hazards that are presented when driving after dark. Visibility is lower, you need to be sure to shut your high beams for oncoming traffic, and there is always that pedestrian crossing the street who isn’t wearing reflective clothing. Plus, road hazards, such as potholes, may not be visible until the last moment.
San Diego’s Trusted Personal Injury Attorneys
When a person is injured in a car accident, they need help from professionals who know what compensation is due. At Petrov Law Firm, you will meet trusted attorneys who are experienced with personal injury settlements. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started.Read More
California has had hands-free laws in place for several years now. The restrictions are even more stringent for those under the age of 18. So why are there continued campaigns to try and get people to put their phones down while they drive? Here are some telling stats.
- In just one year, about 2.2% of drivers were busted breaking hands-free laws.
- The younger a driver is, the more likely they are to violate hands-free legislation. The same study showed that 4.9% of drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 were guilty.
- In rural areas, people are far more likely to try and get away with using a phone while driving. While there may be fewer cars, there is also often less visibility on old country roads, thereby increasing the danger.
- At least parents are driving safe. The category of drivers that had the fewest infractions in the study were those who had a passenger age 8 or younger.
During the same year that these statistics were taken, 391,000 accidents occurred as a result of distracted driving. These accidents caused numerous injuries and ended 3,450 lives. Distracted driving is a serious matter, and no one should think they are immune to having an accident, regardless of their age or where they live.
If You Have Been Hurt by a Distracted Driver
In Southern California, the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if a distracted driver causes you harm. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started.Read More
Due to the terrible effects of distracted driving, the state of California has had some public service campaigns to encourage less phone use while operating a vehicle. The current campaign is called “Put Your Phone Down. Just Drive.” and you have probably heard that mantra repeated in ads.
What are the current laws in California regarding smartphone use in a car?
- It is never permitted for someone under the age of 18 to use a smartphone while driving. Don’t spend your money on hands-free devices like a Bluetooth headset until your turn 18 because you can’t use it in the car anyway.
- If you are 18 or older, don’t pick up your phone while driving. If you are going to use your phone, it should be in a hands-free manner only. Of course, this also means no reading and responding to texts while driving. If your phone is connected to your vehicle via Bluetooth, you may be able to have the car read a text to you, and you may even be able to respond verbally. But don’t be tempted to pick up the device to make sure your dictated text was correctly formatted.
San Diego Attorneys for Car Accident Injuries
Petrov Law Firm is here to help if you have been injured by a distracted driver in a car accident. Contact us today to learn how we can help you to maximize the settlement you receive from the insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 to get your case started now.Read More
The accident wasn’t that bad, so you declined a trip to the ER in an ambulance. After all, your car was still drivable, and you had to get to work for that important meeting. Sure, your neck was a little sore the next day or two, but that always happens with a fender bender. There’s no real cause for concern, right?
Actually, symptoms of an injury from this type of accident can take weeks or even months to arise. Head to the doctor right away if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Migraines or other headaches – This is the number one symptom of post-concussion syndrome. You may not have hit your head, but you still may have been shaken around enough for a concussion to occur.
- Vertigo – If the room seems to spin, twist, or sway on occasion, this can be another sign of the aftermath of a head or neck injury. Be careful not to fall and sustain further damage.
- Cognitive symptoms – If you have memory problems, difficulty focusing, or become easily confused in the months after your accident, these may be the symptoms of brain fog.
- Mood swings – From becoming more easily irritable to experiencing anxiety or depression, these are also symptoms that may relate to your accident.
- Insomnia – This is another common symptom of a concussion or neck injury.
Car Accident Injuries in Southern California
If you have had to seek medical attention in the wake of a car accident, the bills can pile up fast. Contact Petrov Law Firm today to get help filing for a settlement from the insurance company of the guilty driver. Call 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More
In a no-fault state (there are currently 12 in the US), every driver is required to carry insurance that covers his or her own expenses should an accident occur. California is a fault state. What does this mean?
In a fault state, the insurance of the driver who is responsible for the accident pays the expenses. Therefore, if you admit that you ran a red light and hit another car, your insurance will be paying for the other driver’s damages including medical bills, car repair, and even pain and suffering caused by the experience.
When Accident Blame Is Shared in a Fault State
In a fault state, since accidents are paid for by the offending party, what happens if both sides share some blame? The powers that be may decide either on an even split or on another percentage. For example, if the other driver ran a stop sign, but you panicked when you should have been able to get out of the way, they may assign a 70-30 or 80-20 split. In this case, you would recover most of your losses from the other person’s insurance, but your insurance would have to cover the rest.
Why You Need a Car Accident Attorney
In a fault state, proving blame can make a huge difference in the settlement amount with an insurance company. Having a personal injury attorney on your side can help you to maximize your settlement. In southern California, drivers can trust Petrov Law Firm to put our experience to work for you. Call us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started.Read More
Sadly, the majority of car accidents are due to driver error rather than actually just being accidents. How can you avoid making some of the most common mistakes that lead to crashes? Here are three things to watch out for.
- Speeding – Speeding is at the root of the highest number of car accidents, especially those that result in deaths. Speed limits are posted for a reason, and there’s nothing wrong with driving even slower if the weather is bad.
- Distracted drivers – From texting to eating and applying makeup to lighting up a cigarette, there are tons of things that can distract a driver. While all distractions may not be illegal, you should still avoid being distracted when behind the wheel.
- DUI – Don’t drink and drive. Also, remember that marijuana use may be legal in California, but you still can’t drive high. Even some prescription medications require caution when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. If you’re not sober, you’re not up to driving.
San Diego’s Car Accident Injury Attorneys
When a car accident occurs, California law requires that fault be determined. The more you can prove it was the other driver who was at fault, the larger the settlement from the insurance company can be. Not only can you receive compensation for medical expenses, but you may also be able to collect damages for lost wages and any emotional pain and suffering that the experience caused for you. Call 619.344.0360 today and let the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help.Read More
Car accidents can be the cause of serious injuries and even death. That is why it is particularly important to drive safely when there are dangerous road conditions. Here are several situations that call for extra caution on the part of a conscientious driver.
- Bad weather – Rain, snow, or ice can make roads extremely dangerous. Be sure to leave extra room between you and the car in front of you in any of these hazardous conditions.
- Nighttime – Driving at night can be particularly dangerous. Be sure to switch to your low beams when there are cars coming in the other direction and watch out for cyclists and pedestrians who may have forgotten to wear something reflective.
- Road work – Be sure to obey the traffic signs in construction areas. They are for the safety of both drivers and workers. Road work particularly requires caution when it is being performed at night.
- Road hazards – From potholes to debris in the road, there are plenty of obstructions that can damage your car. If you can’t swerve, slow down as much as you can. For potholes, your tires will absorb the hit the best if you are going straight ahead. The side walls of your tires are not as sturdy.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been injured in a car accident in the San Diego Area, call the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to receive the settlement you deserve, so call 619-344-0360 without delay.Read More
If you have been in a car accident, you may be tempted to assume your injuries are not that bad and there is no reason to go to the doctor. However, there are a few things you should watch out for in the weeks and months following an accident that could indicate an injury occurred.
- Vertigo – Vertigo is a false sensation of movement. Most people say it feels like the room is spinning. This can be an indicator that you are suffering from post-concussion syndrome.
- Headaches or migraines – Another indicator of post-concussion syndrome, this symptom usually means that you suffered either head or neck trauma.
- Brain fog – Confusion, inability to focus, and short-term memory loss are all indicators of head or neck trauma.
- Insomnia – Difficulty sleeping can indicate post-concussion syndrome, although it may also be linked to post-traumatic stress, especially if you are also having nightmares about the accident.
- Irritability and mood swings – If may be your coworkers or family members who alert you to this symptom. Take it seriously because it can be yet another indicator that an injury has occurred.
Whether it is a few days, weeks, or even months after your car accident, be sure to head to your doctor if these symptoms arise.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego, CA
If you have suffered an injury in a car accident, even if the symptoms didn’t display right away, you deserve compensation from the party at fault. To deal with car insurance companies that want to pay out as little as possible, you need the help of the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. Contact us today at 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More