A wrongful death is a terrible tragedy that can cause untold grief to a family. One minute, a member of your family seems like they will be with you for years to come, and the next, they are gone without any good reason. We are so sorry if your family is dealing with this sort of horrific tragedy.
Unfortunately, you are far from alone. Disasters like this occur every day in southern California. Here are just four of the many types of wrongful death cases that we see all too often, right here in our area.
- Motor vehicle accidents – This can include car accidents, trucks, motorcycles, and even pedestrians or cyclists. Additionally, there are off-road vehicles like ATVs that may lead to a wrongful death.
- Defective products – If safety instructions are not included, or there is a defect in the product itself, the manufacturer may be at fault for a death caused by their product.
- Workplace accidents – Workers need to be properly trained and provided the necessary safety equipment for their job. If these minimum standards are not met, the company is at fault for any deaths that occur on the job.
- Medical malpractice – Patients deserve a particular standard of care. If the minimum standard is not met, compensation is necessary.
The Assistance You Need During Times of Tragedy
Money cannot bring your loved one back or fill the void of their sudden loss. However, you should still get what you deserve to help your family weather the loss, especially if you lost a primary breadwinner. The compassionate attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help. Call 619.344.0360 to get your case started now.03Read More
Over the past seven years, the number of drivers who are killed by drowsy driving has increased nearly ten times, according to the CDC. As much as 3% of all accidents may be related to a sleepy driver. It equates to tens of thousands of injuries on an annual basis. Why is it so dangerous to get or stay behind the wheel when your body needs sleep? Here are three reasons:
- Reaction Time – Being tired reduces how fast you can react to sudden changes in circumstances, a need that often arises when driving. In fact, being drowsey affects reaction time in a similar way to being under the influence of alcohol.
- Attention Span – Sleepiness affects attention span, and that is something that enough of us already have trouble with while driving. From talking with passengers to eating to smoking to checking a smartphone to putting on makeup, there are so many things that could potentially distract someone while driving a car (some less legal than others). You don’t need to shorten your attention span further by also being tired.
- Decision Making Ability – You can’t make good decisions when your body needs sleep. Sleeping is how the brain recovers. Since driving requires good decision making, being tired behind the wheel is extremely dangerous.
Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been injured by a drowsy driver or anyone else who is at fault, then you need to get the right help so that you can receive compensation from the person’s insurance company. Before you sign anything, call the professionals at Petrov Law Firm. We can help you get what you really deserve from an insurance settlement. Dial 619.344.0360 to get started today.Read More
Bicycle accidents can turn deadly fast when a motor vehicle is involved. At the very least, a serious injury that requires medical attention is likely. Therefore, you want to do what you can to protect yourself. Here are a few tips that will prove beneficial for accident avoidance. Then we will let you know what to do if you have already been injured in an accident.
- Ride defensively – Your best weapon for defense is knowing where you are and realizing that drivers won’t always have that same information. While it is true that a driver should be aware of their surroundings, there are more distractions than ever before. Basically, you always have to assume that a driver doesn’t see you and ride accordingly.
- Wear reflective clothing – It also helps to have something reflective on your bike (especially since it is California law). This will serve as extra protection at night.
- Use bicycle lighting – Again, California has some legislation in this regard, but you may even want to go beyond what the law requires. Adding signal lights to go along with your hand signals may help drivers notice you.
And don’t forget to take your mask with you, while we are still dealing with this pandemic.
San Diego Attorneys to Help Accident Victims
The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if you have built up medical bills due to an accident. Call 619.344.0360 to speak with a compassionate attorney, and get your settlement started today.Read More
You may not be able to control the behavior of other drivers, but there are certain things you can avoid to keep your family safe on the road. Here are three important things to remember.
- Never drink and drive – This one should go without saying, and yet, every year, there are road deaths related to alcohol consumption. Have a designated driver or avoid alcohol when you know you will be driving home.
- Don’t speed – Speeding is responsible for more deaths than any other bad behavior behind the wheel. When there is a fatal accident, someone was almost always driving too fast. Remember that when road conditions are dangerous, even the speed limit may not be safe.
- Don’t drive distracted – Having your family in the car can be distracting enough. You don’t have to add bad habits like smoking, putting on makeup, or checking your phone while driving into the mix. Plus, you want to set a good example for your kids who will be drivers themselves someday.
Of course, you may experience an accident if someone else on the road falls into one of these dangerous driving activities. What can you do if you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident?
Finding the Right Personal Injury Attorney in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego is here to help when you need us. To speak with a personal injury attorney so you can start your claim, call 619.344.0360 today.Read More
Riding your bike can be a great way to get exercise or even to beat traffic on your way to work. However, if you are riding your bike around southern California, there are a couple of things that you will want to do to improve your chances at avoiding an injury, especially when so many drivers are distracted and fail to pay attention to other drivers, let alone cyclists. Besides wearing a helmet and other protective gear, here are two more things to consider.
- Be especially careful of cars making right-hand turns – When a driver is turning right, they usually have the right of way. However, it also means crossing a bike lane in many cases. Some drivers fail to check for cyclists before turning. This can be particularly true when waiting at a red light. If you both start to go when the light changes, that would be especially dangerous.
- Proper lighting makes you visible – California law requires certain lights or reflectors on all bikes in the state. However, you can increase your visibility to drivers and improve your safety by going beyond what the law requires. Front and rear lights in the daytime and at night, along with signal lights, can help you alert drivers to your presence.
Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in an accident with a motor vehicle while riding your bike, call 619.344.0360 to get in touch with the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We help California residents get the settlements they deserve.Read More
The dangers of traffic accidents make driving a risky, albeit necessary, activity. What are some road conditions that increase the risk of injury, and how can you navigate these circumstances safely? Here are a few tips.
- Bad weather – Rain can make the road slippery, and fog can reduce visibility. When you are driving in inclement weather, be sure to drive slower than usual. Use the correct setting for your car’s headlights. Also, while you should never tailgate, you need to leave extra room between you and the driver ahead if the weather is bad.
- Construction zones – You need to stay alert to protect the lives of workers in construction areas. That includes following all posted signs that may indicate reduced speeds or restricted lane usage. You also need to be careful when it comes to the potential for tire damage.
- Night driving – Darkness reduces visibility. Headlights can light your way, but you need to be sure to switch to the low beams when traffic is coming toward you. Remember that it will be more difficult to see hazards in the road and drive accordingly.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you have experienced an injury in a car accident, you need the assistance of experienced personal injury attorneys. Call Petrov Law Firm today at 619.344.0360 to speak with experienced lawyers in the San Diego area. We can help you get the compensation that you deserve to receive from tightfisted insurance companies. Get your settlement started today!Read More
In one recent year, 391,000 motor vehicle accidents occurred due to distracted driving. This resulted in a tremendous number of injuries, and 3,450 individuals wrongfully lost their lives. So why do people keep using their phones while driving? Consider the following stats from the same year that reveal just how serious the problem is:
- The results showed that people were more likely to use a phone while driving in rural areas. Perhaps the perception is that fewer cars on the road make it safer to drive while distracted. This is particularly concerning right now. People may be tempted to use their phone more since road traffic is down due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- According to the study, more than 2% of drivers have been caught breaking rules that restrict the use of smartphones while driving to handsfree methods. If 2% are caught, how many more are getting away with it?
- The research also showed that younger drivers are more likely to break the rules, especially those between the ages of 18 and 24.
- The safest group of drivers are parents who have children under the age of nine. Unfortunately, those kids are only as safe as the other drivers on the road allow them to be.
Distracted Driving and Fault in California
California is a fault state as far as damages from a car accident is concerned. If you have been injured in an accident with a distracted driver, you deserve compensation from the other driver’s insurance. Contact Petrov Law Firm today at 619.344.0360 to get started on your settlement right away.Read More
Vehicles on the road are down 60% according to one recent survey regarding the coronavirus shutdown in California. However, that doesn’t mean you can ignore laws regarding the use of your smartphone. Driving distracted can still result in a serious accident, especially if your guard is down due to the reduced traffic.
Here are a couple of important reminders about smartphone use while driving in California.
- If you are 18 or older – Mobile phone use must be kept hands-free while driving. Never text and drive. If your phone connects to your car via Bluetooth, you can use it to play music, get directions, or even to make phone calls. Some phones may even allow you to dictate messages to reply to texts. Just keep in mind that if your phone misunderstands what you say, the message will go out like that. You shouldn’t be looking at your phone to check the message before sending it.
- If you are under 18 – It is better just to turn your phone off while in the car. There is no situation in which it is okay to be on the phone while driving if you are under 18 in California. Even hands-free use is not allowed for minors.
Car Accident Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in a car accident, especially one involving a distracted driver, give Petrov Law Firm a call at 619.344.0360. Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you to maximize the settlement that you receive from the insurance company.Read More
California drivers need to watch out for distractions. Not only can they lead to dangerous accidents, but even if you manage to avoid an accident while driving distracted, you could still get a ticket if you are breaking the law. For example, California has a number of regulations regarding smartphone use while driving. Here are some tips to help you avoid smartphone distractions while you are behind the wheel.
- Turn it off/silence your phone – If you don’t know messages or calls are coming in, you won’t be tempted to look at your phone until you reach your destination.
- Have your passenger navigate – If you need to use GPS, make sure you have the volume up so you don’t have to look at the phone. If you have a passenger, let them be the navigator.
- Use hands-free or Bluetooth – If you are 18 and over, you can still make calls in a hands-free manner. If your car has Bluetooth, this feature can allow you to reduce distraction and obey the law. If you are under 18, you can’t use a smartphone for any reason while driving, even hands-free, so don’t even bother connecting your phone to the car’s Bluetooth. Refer to the first suggestion on our list.
Car Accident Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been in an automobile accident, especially if the other driver was distracted, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical bills and other losses. Contact Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to get in touch with an experienced personal injury attorney today.Read More
One of the worst tragedies a family can face is when a loved one’s life is suddenly ended in an avoidable accident. If your family is experiencing such an injustice, we want to express our sympathies. Please, know that you are not alone and that your family may be able to receive compensation for your loss. Just a few of the ways that wrongful deaths occur include:
- Medical malpractice – Doctors and medical facilities must meet a minimum standard of care for patients.
- Defective products – Products must include instructions for safe use and must be recalled if the manufacturer learns of a danger to consumers.
- Workplace accidents – Workplace deaths can be avoided by proper training and safety equipment. However, not all employers provide these necessary things.
- Motor vehicle accident – Lives are ended every day by drivers who are involved in unsafe practices such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or by driving while distracted due to mobile devices and other factors.
While money cannot heal the wounds your family is dealing with, proper compensation can help you to cope with the financial loss. Gaining justice can also begin the healing of emotional wounds, knowing that the court system recognizes that your family was wronged by what happed.
Compassionate Wrongful Death Suit Assistance in San Diego
Don’t allow grief to result in your family being cheated by a low settlement. Before you sign anything, call Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to speak with a compassionate and experienced attorney to help you maximize any compensation that your family may be due.Read More