Dog Bites on the Rise in California – How to Protect Yourself
Dog bites are on the rise across the United States and particularly in California according to some recent research. The Insurance Information Institute revealed that a third of claims against homeowners’ insurance last year were due to dog bites.
In 2016, the total amount paid out to dog bite victims was approximate $600 million. This shocking figure was in part due to the fact that medial costs have skyrocketed, resulting in thousands or even tens of thousands in medical expenses over a serious bite.
How can you protect your family from these increasingly common lawsuits?
5 Ways to Avoid a Dog Bite on Your Property
Here are 5 things you can do to protect yourself:
- Get the right breed. – A professional can help you to select a breed of dog that should be able to interact with your family and others in your neighborhood peacefully.
- Avoid dogs with a history of aggression.
- Spay or neuter your dog. – According to researchers, a dog that has not been neutered is 3 times as likely to attack.
- Don’t allow children to bother an eating or sleeping dog.
- Keep dogs social. – If your dog is isolated from people other than your immediate family, it may be particularly wary of strangers and not understand how to interact properly.
If a Member of Your Family Has Been Injured by a Dog Bite
Unfortunately, not everyone is this conscientious about their pets. If you or a member of your family has been bitten by a dog, what can you do? First of all, see a doctor immediately to have the injury evaluated. Then contact Petrov Law Firm so we can help you to receive the proper settlement of your case. The average dog bite settlement in the US was over $33,000 in 2016, but insurance companies won’t shell out that kind of money automatically. Call 619-344-0360 to get your claim started today.