If you experience a personal injury – a slip and fall, for example – what factors go into determining your settlement from the individual or company’s insurance company? Here are four of the primary things to consider.
- Medical bills – The more extensive the injuries, the larger the settlement. You need to be compensated for the medical bills you incurred, and that will include bills that occurred due to seeing a doctor who was not in your network.
- Lost wages – Did you have to use vacation or sick days? Did you miss other days of work that were unpaid? You should be compensated, not just for current lost wages but also future lost wages (for example, if you can no longer work due to the extent of your injuries).
- Personal losses – If you experience ongoing hardship due to the extent of your injuries, you should be compensated. This includes both emotional and physical damages.
- Other Intangible losses – Not everything you lose will have a set value. Personal losses are included as intangible losses. However, you may also experience intangible losses, such as loss of trust, safety, fertility, expectations. There are all sorts of things that could be lost due to an injury that doesn’t have a specific dollar value.
Get Help from Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
Sadly, if you try to work with the insurance company alone, they may try to only pay for medical bills or just add in a little extra to get you to go away. To get what you truly deserve, call Petrov Law Firm in San Diego at 619.344.0360. Our experienced attorneys will help you to maximize your settlement.Read More
When a person is injured due to the negligence of an individual or organization, there are laws in place to ensure they receive proper compensation for medical bills and other losses of both a tangible and intangible nature. But what if you are injured on government property? Here are some things you need to know about filing a claim against a public entity.
- It differs from state to state – Every state has its own laws regarding personal injury cases, so be sure to hire a lawyer in the state where the incident occurred. Not only will they be the most familiar with the state laws, but they will also be in the best position to negotiate with an insurance company on your behalf.
- Be careful with the statute of limitations – There is often less time when it comes to a public entity than any business or individual you may need to file a case against. For example, in California, you only have six months to file a claim against a public entity, whereas most personal injury cases allow up to two years.
- You need to show negligence – Either a government employee must be the one who is negligent, or there must be proof that the public entity had enough time and warning to learn of the issue that led to the injury and failed to take action in a reasonable amount of time.
Legal Assistance in Southern California
If you have been injured in southern California, Petrov Law Firm can help. Call 619.344.0360 to have one of our experienced attorneys handle your case.Read More
If you are injured in a store, there are certain steps you must take to ensure you receive the proper compensation for your medical bills and other losses, such as missed workdays. Here are a few of the things you want to be sure to do as soon as possible.
- Get needed medical assistance – After a slip and fall injury, it may be best to call an ambulance. Even if you think you are okay, you should still see a doctor for an examination to make sure there are no hidden injuries such as a concussion, whiplash, or fracture.
- Let the business know about the fall – Most stores will have an accident report for you to fill out. Of course, if you need immediate medical attention, ask for the report and tell them you will fill it out when you can. Get a copy for your case.
- Gather visual proof from the site – You can use your smartphone to take pictures or videos of the circumstances that led to the fall. If there were witnesses, see if any are willing to provide you with contact info.
- Hire a personal injury attorney to help you deal with the insurance company – This isn’t something you can do alone if you want the proper compensation.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
Petrov Law firm has the experience you need in your corner if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in a store. Give us a call at 619.344.0360 to get your case started today.Read More
Insurance companies usually play a role after a personal injury. Not only do most individuals not have the money to cover medical bills after things like an accident, slip and fall, or dog bite, but most individuals and businesses carry insurance for this purpose. The only thing is, in order for the insurance company to stay in business, they hire people to be really nice to you while paying you as little as possible. Don’t get cheated out of a fair settlement by any of these insurance company tactics.
- Requests for signed or recorded statements – This is a trap. They hope you will say something on the record that allows them to pin part of the blame on you and therefore reduce your settlement. Only your lawyer should be in communication with the insurance company.
- The delay game – Sometimes, the insurance company will make you sweat it out, wondering if they will ever offer anything. By the time they come back to you with an offer, you are desperate and surrounded by medical bills. You better believe that offer isn’t going to be fair to you.
- Trying to make you give up – Sometimes insurance companies ask for ridiculous information, perhaps even info that it is not your job to provide. They do this to make it seem like a claim is just too much work. Sadly, many people give up without getting any compensation.
Get the Help You Need in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego is here to help! Contact an experienced personal injury attorney today by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
Slip and fall accidents happen all the time. It may occur because a sidewalk is in disrepair, a store employee failed to put up a wet floor sign, a rug has become worn, or any other number of reasons. If you are injured in this way, you may immediately know you need medical assistance. For example, a broken bone is usually very painful and easy to identify.
However, you should get checked out by a doctor even if you don’t see any immediate and glaring injuries. Here are a few reasons:
- Fractures – If you fracture a bone, you may just feel a dull ache. You don’t want to wait until a bone has healed wrong because then fixing it becomes very complicated.
- Concussion/whiplash – Even if you successfully stop yourself from hitting the ground, your head may have whipped around. This can even cause a concussion, regardless of whether you hit your head. Early detection of this type of injury can allow you to watch for symptoms of more serious damage.
- Linking the accident to the injury – There are injuries that may not reveal themselves with symptoms for days or even weeks. Seeing a doctor right away will help you to establish a connection between the symptoms and the accident, even if there is a delay.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have experienced a slip and fall accident in southern California, contact Petrov Law Firm. Our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you maximize your settlement. Call 619.344.0360 today to get your case started.Read More
Are you struggling to find a personal injury lawyer in southern California who is willing to take your case? There are a number of reasons that an attorney may decline to take on a case. Here are a few factors that will impact personal injury cases in particular.
- The statute of limitations has run out – If the injury occurred more than two years ago, there is likely nothing the attorney can do for you. You may still want to check in case your situation falls under a special circumstance, but if you are being turned away, this could be the reason.
- You don’t have a clear case – There could be a couple of reasons for this. Perhaps it is unclear whether an individual or entity is to blame for your injuries. Additionally, you need to be able to show there are damages. If all that was injured was your pride, there are no losses to recoup.
- There’s no way to receive compensation – Usually, an insurance company covers damages. If the person at fault has no insurance and no assets, there is nothing you can get as compensation, even if you have a legitimate case and a right to damages. The defendant (or their insurance company) has to have something to give.
Southern California’s Personal Injury Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm would be happy to review your case to see if you are able to receive compensation. Call 619.344.0360 to let us help you maximize your settlement!Read More
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, a slip and fall, a dog attack, or in some other preventable way, the most important thing to do is to get the proper medical care. However, you may find that the bills are starting to pile up. Maybe the injuries were more extensive than you thought at first, or perhaps you were taken to a facility that this not covered by your insurance due to the location of the accident.
So how can you handle the medical expenses? The number one thing is to track all of the expenses closely. These bills prove that you experienced damages as the result of the accident. Now, it is time to hire a personal injury attorney in the state where the injuries occurred. This is vital because you will most likely be dealing with an insurance company.
Insurance companies hire people who are very friendly and charismatic as their adjusters. This gives you the sense that they are working for you and trying to get you the best payout possible to cover your losses. But remember: the adjuster works for the insurance company. Their job is to pay out as little as possible, so you should have someone who knows the law helping you to get what you truly deserve.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
At Petrov Law Firm, we are committed to helping our clients receive the proper compensation for their losses. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to have an experienced attorney handle your settlement.Read More
When an individual, business, or public entity causes harm to someone through negligence, compensation is due. This compensation can cover medical bills and other losses, both tangible and intangible. What are some things that you should know if you have been injured in this way?
- If you have experienced any damages at all, you should start a case – Don’t let anyone tell you that your injuries are not extensive enough. Even if your injuries are minor, you could have medical bills. Plus, if you missed any work, you need to be compensated for that. You may even be dealing with emotional trauma due to the accident, such as PTSD.
- Don’t rely on the insurance company to compensate you fairly – The insurance adjuster will be very friendly with you, but they are always on the side of their client. Their job is to pay you as little as possible.
- Don’t sign anything until you consult an attorney – Signing an agreement or accepting compensation may stop you from being able to receive any further compensation in the future, so you want your attorney to go over anything before you sign it.
San Diego’s Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm has experienced attorneys you can trust if you have suffered an injury in southern California. Whether your injury is from a car accident, dog bite, or slip and fall, we can help you to obtain the compensation you are due. Contact us today by calling 619.344.0360 and let us help you maximize your settlement.Read More
If you have experienced an injury due to the negligence of an individual, business, or public entity, you need the support of a personal injury attorney. Here are some essential reasons to hire an attorney rather than trying to negotiate a settlement yourself.
- Your attorney can help you to understand your legal rights – Some things deserve compensation, and others do not. Your attorney can help you to know whether you have a legitimate case.
- A personal injury attorney can review the case with you – This will help you to understand what types of compensation you qualify for and what you will need in order to provide someone else was at fault.
- You don’t want to deal with the insurance company yourself – Personal injury settlements are usually paid out by an insurance company. No matter how friendly the insurance agent sounds, their job is to pay out as little as possible. Your lawyer will help you get what you really deserve.
- Your lawyer will help you review the settlement offer – This will allow you to determine if it is a reasonable offer that you should accept or whether you may want to pursue things in court. Additionally, the settlement may be able to be negotiated out of court.
The Right Personal Injury Attorney in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced personal injury lawyers you want in your corner when going up against an insurance company. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started, and let us help you to maximize your settlement.Read More
When you are injured due to the negligence of an individual, corporation, or public entity, you are likely to be dealing with an insurance company to receive a settlement to recoup your losses. Unfortunately, as much as you would hope for the insurance company to treat you fairly, they are more likely to side with their client and try to protect their own money. That’s why you may need a personal injury attorney if you have been injured in any of the following ways.
- Car accidents – This is the most common cause of personal injury cases. Remember that California is a tort state, so if the other driver was at fault, their insurance should be paying. Even if the fault is split, they should be providing a settlement for half of your losses.
- Trip and fall injuries – If the trip or slip was due to negligence on the part of an owner or employee, you should be compensated for the damages.
- Dog attacks – Unless you were trespassing on private property, the owner is always at fault for dog attacks in California. Usually, homeowners’ or renters’ insurance covers liability in this case.
These aren’t the only ways you can end up needing to file a personal injury suit, but they are certainly some of the most common reasons.
San Diego Personal Injury Lawyers
If the accident, injury, or attack took place in southern California, contact Petrov Law Firm today. Just call 619.344.0360 to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney at our San Diego office today!Read More