When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
No one wants to be in a car accident, and that is why Petrov Law Firm offers safe driving advice. Here are a few tips for driving when road conditions are the most dangerous.
- Rain – Sometimes we forget that rain can make the roadways very slick. Be sure to leave extra space between you and other drivers, especially at highway speeds, and slow down more than usual when taking corners so you don’t hydroplane.
- Dark – Driving at night can make it difficult to see road hazards as well as pedestrians who may not be properly dressed for a nighttime walk. Keep your headlights in good shape and be sure to switch from hi-beams to low-beams for oncoming drivers.
- Construction – Speeding in a construction area could lead to having the blood of a construction worker on your hands. Always follow posted instructions when driving in a construction area. Even if no accident occurs, remember that penalties for breaking the speed limit are much greater in construction areas.
- Potholes – A pothole can destroy your tire. If you can avoid a pothole safely, do so. If not, it is best to strike the hole straight on and as slow as possible. The side walls of your tires are weaker, so a last-minute turn of the wheel could result in a blowout. If a warning light comes on after going through a pothole or if you feel a wobble, pull over immediately to check your tires.
California Car Accident Injury Lawyers
If you do find yourself needing a California car accident injury attorney, contact the Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. We can help you to maximize your settlement and get the compensation that you deserve.Read More
The statistics for 2017 were just released regarding motorcycle fatalities across the nation, and there are only three states (and the District of Columbia) that saw more of a decrease than California. In fact, there were about 30% fewer fatal motorcycle accidents in the state of California than in 2016.
While this is good news indeed, we want to be sure that our clients are still using the safest practices while riding. For example, did you know that the majority of fatal motorcycle accidents don’t involve another driver? The biggest factor is speeding. So please be careful, obey the speed limits, and don’t ride faster than you feel comfortable with.
The Lane-Splitting Paradox
When California changed state driving laws to allow motorcyclists to engage in lane-splitting, people may have assumed that motorcycle accidents would increase. However, we can see that the opposite has occurred. While lane-splitting is not for every rider and should be done with extreme caution, the good news is that drivers seem to be paying more attention and watching for motorcycles more than before. Perhaps this is actually contributing to the decrease in fatal accidents.
Help for Motorcycle Accident Victims
While it is growing less common, there are still motorcycle accident victims who have been injured by distracted drivers. If you find yourself in this situation, please contact the Petrov Law Firm to see how we can help you to get the settlement that you deserve. We serve the Southern California area from our San Diego and Chula Vista offices, so call 619-344-0360 to schedule an appointment.Read More
Car accidents may not seem to leave any damage at first, but it is always important to be examined by a medical professional just in case an underlying injury occurred. Before you reach a settlement, here are five symptoms to watch out for.
- Migraines or Headaches – This can be an indicator of head or neck trauma. You may be experiencing post-concussion syndrome (PCS).
- Vertigo – Another indicator of PCS, whiplash can also lead to vertigo (A false sensation of movement that often presents as the feeling that the room is spinning.
- Diminished Cognitive Function – Memory and ability to focus, in particular, may be affected.
- Mood Swings or Irritability – Most people do not recognize this symptom in themselves, so don’t ignore it if a family member or co-worker mentions that you have been acting funny, perhaps a little more irritable than usual.
- Insomnia – This can be a symptom of PTSD (you may have nightmares about the accident), but it can also indicate PCS.
If any of these symptoms arise in the weeks or months following a car accident, be sure to go back to the doctor for an examination. Worry about getting well first, but you should also hire a personal injury attorney to help you maximize your settlement.
Southern California’s Personal Injury Attorneys
At Petrov Law Firm, we specialize in helping the victims of car accidents to recover their losses. Car insurance companies always try to pay out as little as they can. The right support can help you to get compensated for your medical bills as well as things like lost wages and emotional pain and suffering. To learn more, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be eligible to receive damages, especially if the other driver was negligent. What types of damages can be received? Here is a list of the losses you may be compensated for:
- Property damage – If your vehicle has been damaged, this can help to offset repairs. If it is damaged beyond repair, you should be compensated well enough to acquire a comparable vehicle.
- Medical bills – You should be compensated for existing medical bills as well as those you expect to accrue following the settlement.
- Lost wages – You may have already missed some work due to injuries. You may not even be able to work anymore. This will also factor into the settlement amount.
- Pain and suffering – Not all of your losses are material. What if you suffered emotional distress due to the accident? If you are now disabled or suffering from disfigurement, it may be difficult to place a monetary value on these damages. However, they should definitely be factored into the total.
Help in Receiving the Damages You Are Owed
If you have been in a car accident in the state of California, Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the appropriate compensation. Never agree to a settlement before getting the assistance of a personal injury attorney so that the insurance company cannot shortchange you. Call our San Diego office at 619-344-0360 before you sign anything or accept any money. We are here to help!Read More
The NHTSA has released the numbers for 2016 traffic accidents and fatalities. What is the verdict for the state of California? It is officially the most dangerous state to drive in. How bad is it? What are the leading causes of traffic fatalities in California? What is your recourse if you have lost a loved on to such a terrible tragedy?
There are 50 states in the US, which makes California 2% of the nation. However, more than 10% of the fatal accidents in the country take place here. Now it is true that California makes up about 12% of the US population, so that skews the numbers a little. But driving is still one of the most dangerous things you can do in California. Why?
The two biggest dangers for drivers are speeding and distractions. One or both of these elements play into almost every fatal traffic accident in the state. Despite laws banning texting and driving, many still insist they know better. Others have been involved in fatal accidents while using social media and taking photos or videos while behind the wheel.
Compassionate Assistance for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One
If you have lost a family member in such a tragic way, our hearts go out to you. Please call 619-344-0360 to let the compassionate attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help you with your wrongful death suit. Our experienced team can help you to maximize a settlement. We know it won’t bring your loved one back, but we still want to help you to get what you need during your time of loss.Read More
If you are filing a personal injury claim, you want to be straightforward about any preexisting conditions you may have, especially with your lawyer. Why do clients sometimes withhold information about preexisting issues? What effect can this have on a claim? Read on to learn about this important factor in a personal injury suit.
Why People Feel the Need to Hide a Preexisting Condition
You may think that if you reveal a preexisting condition, it will affect the amount of your settlement. For example, if you get migraines but they become far worse after your car accident, you may neglect to mention you already would get migraines before. Why? Well, you may be concerned that opposing counsel will try to limit your medical compensation because the migraines were a preexisting condition and the fact that they got worse may have had nothing to do with the accident.
Why You Should Disclose Any Preexisting Conditions or Injuries
While the above scenario could be true, imagine how bad it will look when the condition comes out (and it will) during the course of a trial or negotiations. Now it goes from something that could have a minor effect on the settlement to something that calls into question your credibility as a whole. That can have a major effect on your case.
Personal Injury Attorneys to Help You in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm is here to help you with your settlement, so please don’t hide any preexisting conditions from our personal injury attorney. While you may be concerned it will hurt your case, comparing your medical condition before and after the injury may help make your case even more clear and help you to get a better settlement. To get started on your case, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If someone under the age of 18 in the state of California is involved in a personal injury settlement, there are additional regulations that do not apply in all personal injury cases. What do you need to know about and how many this affect your settlement?
In California, court supervision is required for cases involving minors. These regulations have been put in place by the state in order to ensure that children get a fair settlement. The funds will not be accessible to the child until he or she turns 18. In most cases, the funds will either be used to purchase an annuity or they will be put into a blocked account.
If an annuity is the chose form of settlement payment, funds with either be received annually starting from when the child turns 18 or they may be dispensed in lump sums at certain time periods (for example, one payment every three years or at particular birthdays until of the money is divested).
There are certain rare exceptions where the settlement is determined to be a sum of less than $5,000 where the money becomes immediately available for the minor. In even more exceptional situations, the court may allow parents to make funds available to minors before they turn 18. However, the circumstances surrounding such a situation need to be quite extraordinary.
Help in Attaining Fair Personal Injury Settlements
The courts often only provide assistance for minors seeking a settlement. Thus, it may become necessary to hire a personal injury attorney to determine if an insurance provider is offering a reasonable settlement. Petrov Law Firm will be happy to help you determine what a fair settlement should be. Contact us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If you have been injured, you may wonder how you will receive compensation for your medical bills, lost work, and other expenses that you incur. The solution will be related to the answers to the following three questions.
What Type of Injury Did You Suffer?
There are a number of different ways that may have sustained a personal injury. Some of these possibilities include:
- Car accidents
- Dog or other animal bites
- Slip and fall accidents
The way you were injured is important because different California state laws will dictate who is at fault for the injury and how the expenses will be covered.
When Did the Injury Occur?
Why is the timing of the injury important? It is because California state law has a statute of limitations on seeking compensation for an accident that leads to injury. As a result, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as you can following such an injury.
Who Is Responsible for the Injury?
Finally, you need to determine if there was any fault or negligence on the part of someone else that led to your injury. Most defending lawyers in a personal injury case will try to make a case that blame is shared due to various factors. You want someone in your corner who can ensure you are fully compensated for your losses.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego, California
If you have been injured in southern California, contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We have the experience and ability to help you maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 today to get started.Read More
When a person is injured, a question often arises as to who is responsible for medical bills and other losses that may be suffered. We’re going to take a closer look at three of the most common types of personal injury cases in the state of California.
#1 Vehicular Accidents
Injuries in auto accidents are very common. Whether the person who is injured is a driver, passenger, or pedestrian, it calls into question who is at fault and which insurance company is responsible for the damages.
#2 Dog Bites
Dog bites are extremely common injuries, and sadly, many of the victims are children. It is important always to monitor children playing with pets, especially dogs. However, if an injury occurs, it may call into question whether the dog’s owner is responsible.
#3 Slip and Fall Accidents
From tripping over a break in the sidewalk to slipping on a wet floor, there are all sorts of ways that people end up in trip and fall accidents. Is the injury the fault of the property owner? There are a number of considerations that come into play to determine whether there is any fault or negligence.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in the state of California in one of these common types of occurrences, then we encourage you to talk to our attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. By calling 619-344-0360, you get the legal help you need along with the compassion you deserve. Find out why our clients are confident we are interested not just in cases but in people.Read More