Before anyone gets behind the wheel of a car, there are certain things they need to know. However, when someone has been driving for a long time, they may become overconfident and forget just how quickly things can become dangerous. For example, a man may be overconfident behind the wheel because of the myth that men are safer drivers. But simple logic refutes that claim. Why would insurance premiums be cheaper for women if men were safer drivers?
Here are a couple of other things you need to know:
- Driving under the influence includes driving under the influence of anything – Most people equate this with drinking alcohol. However, you can also receive a DUI for driving under the influence of marijuana (even if it is legal in your state) and certain prescription medications. So always be careful with anything that impacts your reaction time and could lead to an accident or a traffic violation.
- If you are under 18 and driving in California, don’t use your phone – Drivers in California who are 18 and over can use their phone in a hands-free manner. However, if you are under 18, you can’t use your phone at all. This is essential because using your phones hands-free still adds an element of distraction, and a new driver really doesn’t need that.
Car Accident Injuries in The San Diego Area
Contact Petrov Law Firm today if you have been injured in a car accident in southern California. We’re here to help you get the settlement you deserve from the insurance company, so call 619.344.0360 to learn what we can do for you.Read More
Driving drunk can lead to financial loss and even jail time. One Newport Beach woman became the defendant of both a civil lawsuit and five felonies after driving under the influence led to three children being orphaned. A couple in their late 20s were killed in the accident, though their three children (ranging from ages one to five) survived in the backseat.
When terrible tragedies like this occur, who files the wrongful death suit on behalf of the children? While this particular lawsuit did not disclose that information, it is often another close relative or newly appointed guardian of the orphaned children.
In a wrongful death lawsuit, the settlement encompasses far more than just medical bills, funeral costs, or damages to property. There are also the emotional damages suffered by the children who now must be raised by a legal guardian instead of their parents. Plus, those children have lost out on years of support from working parents. All of this must be considered when settling the wrongful death suit. Or it will be determined in the courtroom if a reasonable settlement cannot be reached.
If you have experienced such a tragedy in the San Diego area, where can your family turn to for compassionate help?
Experienced Wrongful Death Attorneys in Southern California
Petrov Law Firm has experienced wrongful death attorneys to help your family get what you deserve. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started. We can’t bring back your loved ones, but we can help you to maximize your compensation during these desperate times.Read More
As of the start of the new year, Californian’s over the age of 21 can use marijuana legally, regardless of whether they have a medical prescription for it or not. This has caused some to think that there is nothing wrong with using marijuana at any time they chose. Unfortunately, this has led some to drive under the influence. But changes to the marijuana laws have not affected DUI laws. What guidelines apply?
- It is not legal to smoke marijuana in a vehicle
- Having an open container of marijuana in a vehicle is illegal
- Driving under the influence of marijuana is just as illegal as driving under the influence of alcohol (and the same penalties apply)
Getting caught driving under the influence of marijuana can also affect a person’s insurance coverage. If a driver causes damages or injuries while driving high, it may actually negate the coverage, which can cause additional problems for those who have been injured.
San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in a car accident in California, especially if the other driver was under the influence, you need to get the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Petrov Law Firm is practiced in helping car accident injury victims to receive fair settlements. If you need help in getting an insurance company to cover your losses, including pain and suffering, give us a call today at 619-344-0360. We’re the San Diego personal injury attorneys that local residents trust.Read More