If you have been injured by a dog in the state of California, you are likely to receive compensation. This should be covered by the owner’s home or rental insurance. Either way, there are only a few requirements that you have to meet in order to seek compensation for your losses.
- A dog bite caused the damages
- And you were bitten while in public
- Or you were bitten on private property, but you were there legally
Really, the only time an owner would not be liable for the damages caused by their dog biting a person would be for an unlawful trespasser. Whether you are a welcome guest, a delivery person, or just someone passing by on the street, it is up to the owner to have their dog under control.
What recourse do you have if you have been injured by a dog and the expenses are piling up? If you live in southern California, we can help!
Southern California’s Dog Bite Attorneys
At Petrov Law Firm in San Diego, we specialize in helping dog bite victims to receive just compensation. Don’t let the insurance company tell you what you deserve. They are just trying to run a business – they don’t care about your losses. We are here to help ensure you are compensated for medical bills, missed days of work, and other damages like these. Just call 619.344.0360 today and speak with a personal injury lawyer to get your case started.Read More
If a dog attacks you, a personal injury claim can allow you to receive compensation for your medical bills and other losses. However, what if it is your dog that is attacked by someone else’s dog? Now the claim changes from personal injury to property damage. Even though your dog feels like part of the family, it is property for legal purposes.
That does mean that you may still be entitled to damages. For example, there may be expensive medical bills for your beloved pet. According to California, you need to be compensated for all damages that result from dog attacks.
Unfortunately, property damage claims do not include pain and suffering as a personal injury case would. For example, if your dog is permanently injured, you may receive compensation for future medical care. However, you won’t be compensated for the hardship your pet may face if it should experience lasting harm (for example, the loss of a limb).
Dog Bite Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you or a family member has been injured by someone else’s dog, Petrov Law Firm is here to help. And while we specialize in personal injury cases, if your family pet stepped in to try and save and the day and experienced harm, you should receive compensation for veterinary bills as well.
Give us a call today at 619.344.0360, so we can discuss the particulars of your case. Our experienced attorneys are just who you want in your corner when seeking compensation from an insurance company.Read More
Delivery persons have always been a target for dog attacks, and with more deliveries than ever before, thanks to the pandemic, you need to know how to stay safe. Whether you are a long-time delivery person or starting a new job, here are some tips to help.
- Don’t make deliveries with headphones on – We understand that music can help the day go faster, but stick to listening while in the truck. When you are approaching a door, you need to be aware of your surroundings.
- Be wary of interactions with the owner – Handing a package to the owner in the presence of a dog may be seen as an aggressive act. Be careful not to make any sudden moves toward a pet owner in the presence of the animal. Plus, during the pandemic, you want to keep your distance anyway.
- Don’t try to interact with the dog – Even if a dog seems friendly, that may change when you make an approach. Even if you really like dogs, it is best not to try and pet dogs you meet on your route.
- Back away – If a dog seems threatened, don’t turn your back on it. It is always best to back away. If you feel it is not safe to make a delivery, you can report it.
Help for Victims of Dog Bites in California
If you do end up experiencing a dog bite, medical bills, missed workdays, and other expenses can add up quickly. Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the settlement you deserve from the owner’s insurance. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to learn more.Read More
You may have heard the reports last summer of a 6-year-old boy in Cheyenne, Wyoming, who became a hero when he protected his sister from a German shepherd. In the boy’s own words, he just put himself between the dog and his sister and kept moving to keep himself in between. Unfortunately, the dog eventually attacked, biting the young boy’s face.
Fortunately, Bridger is recovering well and recently thanked doctors and nurses in a heart-warming video on the news. Just a word of caution before you go and try to find the video – Bridger’s injuries from the attack were extensive, and seeing the before and after (including 90 stitches) will be disturbing for most people.
The fact is that dog attacks occur every day, and many children don’t have a hero like young Bridger to take the bite for them. Since a child’s face is often at bite level for dogs, injuries are far more severe than when a dog attacks an adult. This leads to extensive medical bills. If you or a loved one has been injured in a dog attack, you may wonder how you will be able to pay for the mounting medical expenses. If you live in California, Petrov Law Firm can help.
Dog Bite Attorneys in San Diego
If you are in need of an attorney to help your family maximize your dog bite settlement in California, Petrov Law Firm is here for you. Get in touch with an experienced attorney today by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
If you are bit by someone else’s dog, your medical expenses and other losses should be covered by that person’s homeowner’s insurance (unless you were trespassing or provoking the attack). However, more and more people are renting instead of owning the place in which they live. So if the owner of the dog has renter’s insurance, will that cover your losses? Here is what you need to know.
According to the CDC, there are more than four million dog bites that occur each year in the United States. The Insurance Information Institute provides another revealing fact. When the attack is covered by insurance, the average payout is more than $40,000. It is important to realize that only about 20% of people who are attacked by a dog require medical care. So most of the time, there are no significant losses incurred.
As far as renter’s insurance is concerned, it should cover a dog bite, just as homeowner’s insurance would. However, it is up to the owner to know what the policy covers. Some policies do not cover larger dogs (which are likely to do more damage), or they may exclude certain breeds.
Getting the Help You Need Following a Dog Attack
If the owner of the dog is liable for the attack, you may be due compensation for medical bills, missed workdays, emotional distress, and more. However, whether the owner is insured or not, you need the help of a personal injury attorney. If you live in southern California, then Petrov Law Firm can help. Call us today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started.Read More
A personal injury case involves damages due to negligence or intent of an individual, property owner, dog owner, or the like. You may experience a car accident, a slip and fall, a bite, or some other type of injury that leads to material loss. Here are some crucial pieces of information that your personal injury attorney will need in order to maximize your settlement.
- How it happened – If the injury was your own fault, it is unlikely you are due any compensation. However, if an individual, business, or public entity was responsible, then you should be able to receive compensation.
- Proof of the damages – Did you fill out an accident report, take pictures of the scene, or are there any eyewitnesses to the event? The more evidence you have, the more likely it is that an appropriate settlement can be reached.
- Direct and indirect losses – You can’t sue if you didn’t lose anything. Losses include medical bills, missed days of work, lack of ability to work, emotional turmoil, and the like. Be sure to track all of your medical expenses, regardless of whether something was covered by insurance or not.
Finding the Best Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm is here to help you with your California personal injury case. Contact us right away to get your settlement as soon as possible. Just call 619.344.0360 today and schedule a consultation to see if you are eligible to receive compensation.Read More
Are you the type of person who would love to pet every dog you pass on the sidewalk, but you can’t because they always seem to get aggressive with you on sight? Here are a few things that may be at the root of the problem if most dogs are immediately on guard in your presence.
- Your voice – Dogs care more about the tone of your voice than the actual words you are using. They interpret high-pitched voices as happy but may have a negative reaction to a deeper voice, which comes across as angry.
- Your actions – Dogs feel threatened when you hold their gaze for too long or when you lean in over them.
- Your interaction with the owner – Dogs seem to be able to recognize if you have a pleasant interaction with their owner or if you are perceived as rude. The dog is always going to side with their owner, so start by greeting them with a big smile.
- Your scent – If you smell like a dog they don’t know (perhaps because you have a dog at home or were just petting another dog), that can put a canine on edge.
- The dog’s history – If a dog has been abused, anyone who reminds them of the abuser will cause instant anxiety. If the abuser was a male, the dog might be wary around any unknown man.
If You Have Been Injured By a Dog Bite
Sometimes a dog will become so agitated that it attacks despite being unprovoked. If this has happened to you, the owner’s insurance should cover your medical expenses or other losses. Contact Petrov Law Firm today to get the assistance that you need by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
Unless a dog attack causes a serious injury, the next immediate concern after a bite is rabies. Unfortunately, many people in the United States believe various myths about this condition. We will dispel just a few in our article today.
- Myth 1: The is no rabies in the US – This is definitely not true. In fact, Hawaii is the only state that is completely rabies-free. However, 95% of deaths from rabies occur in Africa or Asia because death from rabies is highly preventable if you can get to a medical facility immediately after a bite.
- Myth 2: You can wait until you see signs of rabies to seek medical attention – Again, this is absolutely false. Once symptoms appear, it is too late to treat this disease. There are fewer than 10 cases on record where a human survives rabies after showing symptoms. This is why you need immediate treatment after a bite.
- Myth 3: If the dog isn’t foaming at the mouth, it doesn’t have rabies – Foaming at the mouth is possible, but not all animals will have this symptom. More likely, symptoms are those similar to a flu virus.
Dog Bite Attorneys in San Diego
Following a dog bite, the number one priority is making sure that you are safe. After you have received the proper medical attention, then it is time to contact a personal injury attorney so that you can determine if you deserve compensation due to the negligence of the owner. Petrov Law Firm has experienced dog bite attorneys at our San Diego office. Call 619.344.0360 to get your case started today.Read More
Injuries happen every day. If you have been injured in southern California, what are the first three things to consider?
- Get the medical assistance you require – In the wake of an injury, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately. The doctors may notice damage that otherwise would not come to the surface until later on, but early treatment could be crucial to avoiding long-term damage. So even when the injuries do not seem life-threatening, you should still call your doctor right away for an exam.
- Determine who was at fault – How did the injury occur? Whether it was a car accident, a dog bite, or a slip and fall, there is usually a negligent party who needs to be held responsible for any losses that you experience as a result of the injury. Hopefully, you can get some photographic evidence at the scene, but if you were seriously injured, this might not have been possible. In this case, you will want to look for eyewitnesses or other forms of evidence of what happened.
- Get an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side – In most cases, an insurance company pays for a personal injury claim. So it is you against a big greedy corporation to get what you deserve. Therefore, you should get the help of a personal injury attorney so that you have someone fighting for you.
Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm has the personal injury attorneys that can help you maximize your settlement. Get the compensation that you deserve from the insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 today to get started!Read More
When you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence or intent, you deserve full compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other losses due to the injury. Because the laws regarding personal injuries are so specific, the best way to maximize your settlement is to find an attorney with experience in the precise type of personal injury case you are pursuing.
Here are some examples of personal injury cases so you can hire the right attorney to meet your personal circumstances.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – This doesn’t always mean that you were a driver or a passenger. You may be a pedestrian or a cyclist injured by a driver. Plus, a motor vehicle accident is not the same thing as just saying “car accident.” You could also be involved with a tractor-trailer or a motorcycle. There are many ways that motor vehicle accidents can lead to injuries.
- Animal attacks – Dog bites, in particular, are common in California. Each state has its own laws regarding animal attacks when a pet is involved.
- Slip and fall accidents – Whether the accident occurred in a private home, at a business, or at a public entity (for example, a government building), you need an experienced attorney to help you build a case.
San Diego’s Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in any of these ways in southern California, Petrov Law Firm has the experienced attorneys that you want on your side. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started immediately.Read More