California drivers need to watch out for distractions. Not only can they lead to dangerous accidents, but even if you manage to avoid an accident while driving distracted, you could still get a ticket if you are breaking the law. For example, California has a number of regulations regarding smartphone use while driving. Here are some tips to help you avoid smartphone distractions while you are behind the wheel.
- Turn it off/silence your phone – If you don’t know messages or calls are coming in, you won’t be tempted to look at your phone until you reach your destination.
- Have your passenger navigate – If you need to use GPS, make sure you have the volume up so you don’t have to look at the phone. If you have a passenger, let them be the navigator.
- Use hands-free or Bluetooth – If you are 18 and over, you can still make calls in a hands-free manner. If your car has Bluetooth, this feature can allow you to reduce distraction and obey the law. If you are under 18, you can’t use a smartphone for any reason while driving, even hands-free, so don’t even bother connecting your phone to the car’s Bluetooth. Refer to the first suggestion on our list.
Car Accident Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been in an automobile accident, especially if the other driver was distracted, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical bills and other losses. Contact Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to get in touch with an experienced personal injury attorney today.Read More
One of the worst tragedies a family can face is when a loved one’s life is suddenly ended in an avoidable accident. If your family is experiencing such an injustice, we want to express our sympathies. Please, know that you are not alone and that your family may be able to receive compensation for your loss. Just a few of the ways that wrongful deaths occur include:
- Medical malpractice – Doctors and medical facilities must meet a minimum standard of care for patients.
- Defective products – Products must include instructions for safe use and must be recalled if the manufacturer learns of a danger to consumers.
- Workplace accidents – Workplace deaths can be avoided by proper training and safety equipment. However, not all employers provide these necessary things.
- Motor vehicle accident – Lives are ended every day by drivers who are involved in unsafe practices such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or by driving while distracted due to mobile devices and other factors.
While money cannot heal the wounds your family is dealing with, proper compensation can help you to cope with the financial loss. Gaining justice can also begin the healing of emotional wounds, knowing that the court system recognizes that your family was wronged by what happed.
Compassionate Wrongful Death Suit Assistance in San Diego
Don’t allow grief to result in your family being cheated by a low settlement. Before you sign anything, call Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to speak with a compassionate and experienced attorney to help you maximize any compensation that your family may be due.Read More
The weather in southern California is great for pedestrians just about any time of year. Unfortunately, drivers can make going for a walk an extremely dangerous activity. As a pedestrian, you need to be your own advocate and keep yourself safe. Here are a few tips:
- Always look both ways when crossing – You learned this in school. You heard it from your parents. It is still the number one safety tip for walking. Don’t assume drivers are looking for you. You have to look for them.
- Use a crosswalk when available – Sometimes, in rural areas, you may not have his option, but in a city, you always have to use the crosswalk. Drivers are more likely to be looking out for pedestrians when they cross at designated areas. Plus, it will help your case if you are injured in an accident.
- Avoid distractions while walking – Just like drivers get into trouble when they are looking at a phone while in motion, pedestrians can have the same problem. There are no laws about texting and walking, but you better believe an insurance company is going to bring it up if you try and sue their client for hitting you.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident as a pedestrian, then you need the help of qualified personal injury attorneys to get what you deserve from the insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 and speak with an experienced lawyer from Petrov Law Firm today.Read More
The CDC has estimated that about 6,000 fatal accidents occur each year due to drowsy drivers. This is a huge increase from a 2013 report that stated 800 deaths and 44,000 injuries occurred in that one year alone. Up to 3% of all motor vehicle accidents may involve a driver who is too tired to be behind the wheel. Consider the following reasons to pull over and take a nap if you are sleepy.
- Lack of sleep affects attention span – While drowsy driving makes up a small percentage of accidents, distracted driving leads to far more. If you are tired, you are more likely to let yourself get distracted in an effort to remain alert.
- Diminished cognitive ability – You just can’t make good decisions when you are beginning to fall asleep. Therefore, you may pull in front of a car that is driving to fast or is too close, or in other ways make a disastrous driving decision.
- Reduced reaction time – Being sleepy slows your reaction time, just like driving intoxicated would. If you don’t hit your breaks, swerve, or speed up in time, you may end up having an accident that an awake and alert driver could have avoided.
San Diego’s Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in a car accident, especially if the other driver was drowsy, distracted, or otherwise at fault, Petrov Law Firm can help. Our experienced attorneys are ready to fight to help you get the settlement you deserve. Call 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More
Fault in California car accidents is how the courts determine which driver’s insurance covers medical bills and other expenses. Here are some of the mistakes drivers make that can lead to serious car accidents that are completely their fault.
- Driving under the influence – Whether it is alcohol, drugs, or even some forms of prescription medication, it is always illegal to be under the influence while driving. This is particularly important to remember for drivers who were happy to see marijuana legalized in the state. Remember: it is still illegal to use marijuana while driving, to have marijuana open and accessible in the vehicle, or to be under the influence of this drug while driving.
- Speeding – This the leading cause of car accidents, including fatal accidents. Always obey the posted speed limit, especially in road construction areas.
- Distracted driving – While smartphones are the number one distraction in our technological era, there are many other ways to be distracted while driving. Everything from lighting up a cigarette to putting the finishing touches on makeup can be what takes a driver’s eyes off the road long enough for an accident to occur.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a car accident, the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. Insurance companies always want to settle for the lowest amount possible to protect their profits, so you want an experienced lawyer in your corner to help maximize your settlement. Before you agree to anything, call 619-344-0360 to learn how we can help.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
No one wants to be in a car accident, and that is why Petrov Law Firm offers safe driving advice. Here are a few tips for driving when road conditions are the most dangerous.
- Rain – Sometimes we forget that rain can make the roadways very slick. Be sure to leave extra space between you and other drivers, especially at highway speeds, and slow down more than usual when taking corners so you don’t hydroplane.
- Dark – Driving at night can make it difficult to see road hazards as well as pedestrians who may not be properly dressed for a nighttime walk. Keep your headlights in good shape and be sure to switch from hi-beams to low-beams for oncoming drivers.
- Construction – Speeding in a construction area could lead to having the blood of a construction worker on your hands. Always follow posted instructions when driving in a construction area. Even if no accident occurs, remember that penalties for breaking the speed limit are much greater in construction areas.
- Potholes – A pothole can destroy your tire. If you can avoid a pothole safely, do so. If not, it is best to strike the hole straight on and as slow as possible. The side walls of your tires are weaker, so a last-minute turn of the wheel could result in a blowout. If a warning light comes on after going through a pothole or if you feel a wobble, pull over immediately to check your tires.
California Car Accident Injury Lawyers
If you do find yourself needing a California car accident injury attorney, contact the Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. We can help you to maximize your settlement and get the compensation that you deserve.Read More
Car accidents may not seem to leave any damage at first, but it is always important to be examined by a medical professional just in case an underlying injury occurred. Before you reach a settlement, here are five symptoms to watch out for.
- Migraines or Headaches – This can be an indicator of head or neck trauma. You may be experiencing post-concussion syndrome (PCS).
- Vertigo – Another indicator of PCS, whiplash can also lead to vertigo (A false sensation of movement that often presents as the feeling that the room is spinning.
- Diminished Cognitive Function – Memory and ability to focus, in particular, may be affected.
- Mood Swings or Irritability – Most people do not recognize this symptom in themselves, so don’t ignore it if a family member or co-worker mentions that you have been acting funny, perhaps a little more irritable than usual.
- Insomnia – This can be a symptom of PTSD (you may have nightmares about the accident), but it can also indicate PCS.
If any of these symptoms arise in the weeks or months following a car accident, be sure to go back to the doctor for an examination. Worry about getting well first, but you should also hire a personal injury attorney to help you maximize your settlement.
Southern California’s Personal Injury Attorneys
At Petrov Law Firm, we specialize in helping the victims of car accidents to recover their losses. Car insurance companies always try to pay out as little as they can. The right support can help you to get compensated for your medical bills as well as things like lost wages and emotional pain and suffering. To learn more, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be eligible to receive damages, especially if the other driver was negligent. What types of damages can be received? Here is a list of the losses you may be compensated for:
- Property damage – If your vehicle has been damaged, this can help to offset repairs. If it is damaged beyond repair, you should be compensated well enough to acquire a comparable vehicle.
- Medical bills – You should be compensated for existing medical bills as well as those you expect to accrue following the settlement.
- Lost wages – You may have already missed some work due to injuries. You may not even be able to work anymore. This will also factor into the settlement amount.
- Pain and suffering – Not all of your losses are material. What if you suffered emotional distress due to the accident? If you are now disabled or suffering from disfigurement, it may be difficult to place a monetary value on these damages. However, they should definitely be factored into the total.
Help in Receiving the Damages You Are Owed
If you have been in a car accident in the state of California, Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the appropriate compensation. Never agree to a settlement before getting the assistance of a personal injury attorney so that the insurance company cannot shortchange you. Call our San Diego office at 619-344-0360 before you sign anything or accept any money. We are here to help!Read More
The NHTSA has released the numbers for 2016 traffic accidents and fatalities. What is the verdict for the state of California? It is officially the most dangerous state to drive in. How bad is it? What are the leading causes of traffic fatalities in California? What is your recourse if you have lost a loved on to such a terrible tragedy?
There are 50 states in the US, which makes California 2% of the nation. However, more than 10% of the fatal accidents in the country take place here. Now it is true that California makes up about 12% of the US population, so that skews the numbers a little. But driving is still one of the most dangerous things you can do in California. Why?
The two biggest dangers for drivers are speeding and distractions. One or both of these elements play into almost every fatal traffic accident in the state. Despite laws banning texting and driving, many still insist they know better. Others have been involved in fatal accidents while using social media and taking photos or videos while behind the wheel.
Compassionate Assistance for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One
If you have lost a family member in such a tragic way, our hearts go out to you. Please call 619-344-0360 to let the compassionate attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help you with your wrongful death suit. Our experienced team can help you to maximize a settlement. We know it won’t bring your loved one back, but we still want to help you to get what you need during your time of loss.Read More