California drivers need to watch out for distractions. Not only can they lead to dangerous accidents, but even if you manage to avoid an accident while driving distracted, you could still get a ticket if you are breaking the law. For example, California has a number of regulations regarding smartphone use while driving. Here are some tips to help you avoid smartphone distractions while you are behind the wheel.
- Turn it off/silence your phone – If you don’t know messages or calls are coming in, you won’t be tempted to look at your phone until you reach your destination.
- Have your passenger navigate – If you need to use GPS, make sure you have the volume up so you don’t have to look at the phone. If you have a passenger, let them be the navigator.
- Use hands-free or Bluetooth – If you are 18 and over, you can still make calls in a hands-free manner. If your car has Bluetooth, this feature can allow you to reduce distraction and obey the law. If you are under 18, you can’t use a smartphone for any reason while driving, even hands-free, so don’t even bother connecting your phone to the car’s Bluetooth. Refer to the first suggestion on our list.
Car Accident Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been in an automobile accident, especially if the other driver was distracted, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical bills and other losses. Contact Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to get in touch with an experienced personal injury attorney today.Read More
One of the worst tragedies a family can face is when a loved one’s life is suddenly ended in an avoidable accident. If your family is experiencing such an injustice, we want to express our sympathies. Please, know that you are not alone and that your family may be able to receive compensation for your loss. Just a few of the ways that wrongful deaths occur include:
- Medical malpractice – Doctors and medical facilities must meet a minimum standard of care for patients.
- Defective products – Products must include instructions for safe use and must be recalled if the manufacturer learns of a danger to consumers.
- Workplace accidents – Workplace deaths can be avoided by proper training and safety equipment. However, not all employers provide these necessary things.
- Motor vehicle accident – Lives are ended every day by drivers who are involved in unsafe practices such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or by driving while distracted due to mobile devices and other factors.
While money cannot heal the wounds your family is dealing with, proper compensation can help you to cope with the financial loss. Gaining justice can also begin the healing of emotional wounds, knowing that the court system recognizes that your family was wronged by what happed.
Compassionate Wrongful Death Suit Assistance in San Diego
Don’t allow grief to result in your family being cheated by a low settlement. Before you sign anything, call Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to speak with a compassionate and experienced attorney to help you maximize any compensation that your family may be due.Read More
The weather in southern California is great for pedestrians just about any time of year. Unfortunately, drivers can make going for a walk an extremely dangerous activity. As a pedestrian, you need to be your own advocate and keep yourself safe. Here are a few tips:
- Always look both ways when crossing – You learned this in school. You heard it from your parents. It is still the number one safety tip for walking. Don’t assume drivers are looking for you. You have to look for them.
- Use a crosswalk when available – Sometimes, in rural areas, you may not have his option, but in a city, you always have to use the crosswalk. Drivers are more likely to be looking out for pedestrians when they cross at designated areas. Plus, it will help your case if you are injured in an accident.
- Avoid distractions while walking – Just like drivers get into trouble when they are looking at a phone while in motion, pedestrians can have the same problem. There are no laws about texting and walking, but you better believe an insurance company is going to bring it up if you try and sue their client for hitting you.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident as a pedestrian, then you need the help of qualified personal injury attorneys to get what you deserve from the insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 and speak with an experienced lawyer from Petrov Law Firm today.Read More
The CDC has estimated that about 6,000 fatal accidents occur each year due to drowsy drivers. This is a huge increase from a 2013 report that stated 800 deaths and 44,000 injuries occurred in that one year alone. Up to 3% of all motor vehicle accidents may involve a driver who is too tired to be behind the wheel. Consider the following reasons to pull over and take a nap if you are sleepy.
- Lack of sleep affects attention span – While drowsy driving makes up a small percentage of accidents, distracted driving leads to far more. If you are tired, you are more likely to let yourself get distracted in an effort to remain alert.
- Diminished cognitive ability – You just can’t make good decisions when you are beginning to fall asleep. Therefore, you may pull in front of a car that is driving to fast or is too close, or in other ways make a disastrous driving decision.
- Reduced reaction time – Being sleepy slows your reaction time, just like driving intoxicated would. If you don’t hit your breaks, swerve, or speed up in time, you may end up having an accident that an awake and alert driver could have avoided.
San Diego’s Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in a car accident, especially if the other driver was drowsy, distracted, or otherwise at fault, Petrov Law Firm can help. Our experienced attorneys are ready to fight to help you get the settlement you deserve. Call 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More
Any time you go for a run, you have to consider how to remain safe when there are so many drivers on the road who are not paying as much attention as they should be. Here are four tips to help you optimize your safety.
- Look at drivers – Making eye contact is the best way to ensure that a driver sees you. In most cases, a driver will gesture to let you know he or she intends to wait for you to cross. Jog in place at the corner until you are sure it is safe.
- Run on safe roads – A back road with no sidewalks is going to be a dangerous place to run, especially if the weather conditions are not good for visibility.
- Pay attention to road conditions – Bad weather and darkness can affect a driver’s ability to see you or to stop in time if they don’t notice you until the last minute. Use extra caution and wear appropriate clothing that makes you more visible.
- Stay alert – As a runner, you need always to be thinking about your own safety. An accident may be a driver’s fault, but that won’t help you survive a crash. So make sure you are not the one who becomes distracted, perhaps by a mobile device.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if you are ever hurt in an accident. We hope you are able to enjoy your routine of running, but if an injury does occur due to a driver, call 619.344.0360 to get the help you need.Read More
One of the biggest dangers to runners are drivers who are distracted. We’re going to give you a few tips for sharing the road with people who may not be on the lookout for runners.
- Be alert – Don’t assume that a driver sees you. You can jog in place while you wait for a light to change or for a visibly distracted driver to make a turn in front of you.
- Find a safe route – You may be able to plan your route so that you can stay on the sidewalk and make minimal road crossings. Or you may choose to run on roads that are not as busy.
- Always try to make eye contact – If you do have to cross the street in front of a driver, always try to make eye contact so that you are confident the driver sees you, even if they are at a stop sign or light.
- Watch the weather – Wet or slick roads can make it tougher for drivers to stop, even if they see you. They can also lead to a slip and fall. If you were to fall in the middle of the road when crossing in front of a vehicle when you had plenty of time, the gap can be closed quickly.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego and the Surrounding Neighborhoods
If you have been injured while running, whether it is by a driver, a dog, a trip on a damaged sidewalk or any other cause, Petrov Law Firm can help. To see if you can recover losses in a personal injury suit, contact us today at 619-344-0360. We may be able to help you get compensation for medical bills, lost wages, or other expenses.Read More
Whether you walk to the office or are just out for some exercise, walking is a great way to get around San Diego and much of southern California. However, there are also dangers due to distracted drivers who may not notice you, especially at night. Here are a few tips for pedestrian safety.
- Don’t walk under the influence. Drinking and walking can be just as dangerous as drinking and driving (at least for you). Call an Uber or a cab if you’ve had too many rather than trying to walk it off.
- Don’t use your phone while walking. If you need directions, use the voice feature rather than staring at the screen. You need to pay attention to your surroundings when walking to avoid potential dangers.
- Always use the crosswalk. Not only is J-walking illegal, but it is also dangerous because drivers won’t be expecting you to step out into the road.
- Wear bright colors during the day and something reflective at night. While you never want to assume that a driver sees you, you still want to do everything you can to increase visibility.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Even if you have the light, it is always a good idea to look before you cross. Too many distracted drivers run red lights and do other things you wouldn’t expect, so you can’t presume on having the right of way.
Personal Injury Attorneys for California Pedestrians
Have you suffered an injury as a pedestrian? Petrov Law Firm has the experienced and compassionate personal injury attorneys to help you maximize a settlement in California. Give us a call today at 619- 344-0360 to get started on your case.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
Car accidents may not seem to leave any damage at first, but it is always important to be examined by a medical professional just in case an underlying injury occurred. Before you reach a settlement, here are five symptoms to watch out for.
- Migraines or Headaches – This can be an indicator of head or neck trauma. You may be experiencing post-concussion syndrome (PCS).
- Vertigo – Another indicator of PCS, whiplash can also lead to vertigo (A false sensation of movement that often presents as the feeling that the room is spinning.
- Diminished Cognitive Function – Memory and ability to focus, in particular, may be affected.
- Mood Swings or Irritability – Most people do not recognize this symptom in themselves, so don’t ignore it if a family member or co-worker mentions that you have been acting funny, perhaps a little more irritable than usual.
- Insomnia – This can be a symptom of PTSD (you may have nightmares about the accident), but it can also indicate PCS.
If any of these symptoms arise in the weeks or months following a car accident, be sure to go back to the doctor for an examination. Worry about getting well first, but you should also hire a personal injury attorney to help you maximize your settlement.
Southern California’s Personal Injury Attorneys
At Petrov Law Firm, we specialize in helping the victims of car accidents to recover their losses. Car insurance companies always try to pay out as little as they can. The right support can help you to get compensated for your medical bills as well as things like lost wages and emotional pain and suffering. To learn more, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be eligible to receive damages, especially if the other driver was negligent. What types of damages can be received? Here is a list of the losses you may be compensated for:
- Property damage – If your vehicle has been damaged, this can help to offset repairs. If it is damaged beyond repair, you should be compensated well enough to acquire a comparable vehicle.
- Medical bills – You should be compensated for existing medical bills as well as those you expect to accrue following the settlement.
- Lost wages – You may have already missed some work due to injuries. You may not even be able to work anymore. This will also factor into the settlement amount.
- Pain and suffering – Not all of your losses are material. What if you suffered emotional distress due to the accident? If you are now disabled or suffering from disfigurement, it may be difficult to place a monetary value on these damages. However, they should definitely be factored into the total.
Help in Receiving the Damages You Are Owed
If you have been in a car accident in the state of California, Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the appropriate compensation. Never agree to a settlement before getting the assistance of a personal injury attorney so that the insurance company cannot shortchange you. Call our San Diego office at 619-344-0360 before you sign anything or accept any money. We are here to help!Read More