Riding a motorcycle is a great way to get around Californian cities, especially when there is a lot of traffic. Here are a few tips to help you get where you are going as safely as possible.
- Beware of drivers – Many drivers are not good at sharing the road with motorcycles. There are also a lot of distracted drivers. It’s not fair for the burden to be on you, but the fact is that when a car and a motorcycle get into an accident, it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong. The consequences will be far worse for the cyclist.
- Wear the proper protective equipment – In a minor accident, the right helmet and clothing can protect you from serious harm or even save your life.
- Be modest – If you are a new rider, don’t go beyond your limitations. Always follow traffic laws and don’t try to do anything you are not 100% sure you are able to handle.
- Stay visible – Whether it is keeping the lights on your vehicle in good order or wearing something reflective on your clothes/helmet, anything you can do to increase your visibility could be lifesaving.
- Never ride if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs (including prescription medications that could affect your ability to ride safely).
Getting Help After a Motorcycle Accident in California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego can help you to get what you deserve from the insurance company. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to learn what we can do for you.Read More
Every year, motorcyclists lose their lives on California roads, and many more are injured. To protect yourself, please follow these vital safety recommendations.
- Never get on your bike under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Focus on visibility – Many motorcycle accidents involve vehicle drivers who claim to have not seen the cyclist. Use your lights, wear something reflective, and use extreme caution when lane splitting.
- Know your limits – Even the most experienced motorcyclist can be involved in an accident. The odds increase exponentially when a rider is doing something beyond their ability level. Follow the laws of the road (especially the speed limit), and never attempt to perform tricks at high speeds or in traffic.
- Wear the right gear – If you are involved in an accident, a helmet can save your life. Make sure you are wearing long sleeves and pants. Use fabrics that can protect you from the road if you are knocked from the bike at high speeds.
- Don’t trust drivers – Always assume that they are too distracted to see you. The fact of the matter is that when a motorcycle gets into an accident with a car or another vehicle – regardless of who was at fault – the person on the motorcycle is going to be on the losing end of the crash.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident Injury
The most important thing is to get the medical assistance you require. Next, call Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360. Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you to maximize the settlement you receive so that you can pay those expensive medical bills and receive other compensation that you are due.Read More
In 2017, California state law began to allow for lane splitting by motorcycles. This means that a motorcyclist can ride between moving vehicles or stopped vehicles. It is a great way to beat traffic. However, it can also be dangerous if you don’t take the proper safety precautions. Here are a few tips that were provided on the California Highway Patrol website.
- Consider factors like weather conditions, the size of the vehicles you are passing, visibility, and the width of the lane before deciding to pass.
- The faster you drive and the greater the difference between your speed and that of other vehicles, the higher the risks become.
- Do not lane split between trailers, buses, RVs, or other oversized vehicles.
- Driving on the shoulder is not lane splitting. It is both illegal and dangerous.
- Wear reflective gear, even during the daytime, to be as visible as possible.
- The safest place to lane split is considered to be between the two lanes furthest to the left.
Remember that some drivers may be from other states where lane splitting is illegal. Therefore, some drivers may not be looking for or expect a motorcycle to be passing between them and another driver. Lane splitting does add increased danger, should only be attempted by experienced riders, and is at your own risk.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego, California
If you have been injured while riding your motorcycle in California, Petrov Law Firm is here to help. Speak with our experienced personal injury attorneys today by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
In order to optimize the settlement that you receive in the wake of a San Diego car accident injury, you will want the assistance of a California personal injury attorney. Here are a few more tips to ensure that you receive a fair offer from the insurance company.
- Report the accident to the police and get a copy of the police report. Be sure never to admit any amount of liability.
- Document the accident scene if possible. If you can take pictures or even record a video of the scene and the surroundings, this is all helpful. Get pictures of the vehicle positions, damage, street signage, and the like. If any eyewitnesses pulled over, get their names and contact information.
- Don’t wait to see a doctor. Being in shock may cause you not to feel pain or injury. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to connect your injury to the accident.
- Don’t go on the record with either a written or verbal statement. The only person you should be speaking about your accident with is your personal injury attorney. This includes social media! Don’t Tweet or in any other way post information about the accident.
- Keep track of the damages. This includes your medical bills, missed days of work, and any other losses that directly or indirectly relate to the accident and injury.
Call Petrov Law Firm Today to Maximize Your Settlement
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego has the experienced attorneys that you want on your side when dealing with an insurance company. Don’t sign anything before you have the chance to discuss your case. Call 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More
Motorcycle safety is an essential topic across America, and you will be happy to know that the lives of riders in California were a little safer in 2018 than they were in 2017. Let’s look at a couple of statistics that show how California is improving when it comes to motorcycle safety.
- From 2017 to 2018, motorcycle fatalities on California roadways dropped by 15.57%.
- Over the same time period, helmetless deaths dropped by 33%. That shows riders are taking the responsibility to wear the proper safety gear seriously, and this may have contributed to the improvement in the statistics.
Regardless of the reason that the statistics have improved, we are happy that motorcyclists are safer on California roads. However, hundreds are still killed or injured each year, so now is not the time for the state to grow complacent. Drivers need to stay aware and share the road. And if you ride a motorcycle, please ride safely and always wear your helmet.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
What can you do if you have been injured in an accident while riding your motorcycle? Petrov Law Firm can help. Our attorneys have the experience that you want in your corner when it comes to maximizing your settlement from the insurance company. From medical expenses and missed workdays to compensation for pain and suffering, we can help you to get what you deserve. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to learn what our compassionate lawyers can do for you and your family.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
No one wants to be in a car accident, and that is why Petrov Law Firm offers safe driving advice. Here are a few tips for driving when road conditions are the most dangerous.
- Rain – Sometimes we forget that rain can make the roadways very slick. Be sure to leave extra space between you and other drivers, especially at highway speeds, and slow down more than usual when taking corners so you don’t hydroplane.
- Dark – Driving at night can make it difficult to see road hazards as well as pedestrians who may not be properly dressed for a nighttime walk. Keep your headlights in good shape and be sure to switch from hi-beams to low-beams for oncoming drivers.
- Construction – Speeding in a construction area could lead to having the blood of a construction worker on your hands. Always follow posted instructions when driving in a construction area. Even if no accident occurs, remember that penalties for breaking the speed limit are much greater in construction areas.
- Potholes – A pothole can destroy your tire. If you can avoid a pothole safely, do so. If not, it is best to strike the hole straight on and as slow as possible. The side walls of your tires are weaker, so a last-minute turn of the wheel could result in a blowout. If a warning light comes on after going through a pothole or if you feel a wobble, pull over immediately to check your tires.
California Car Accident Injury Lawyers
If you do find yourself needing a California car accident injury attorney, contact the Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. We can help you to maximize your settlement and get the compensation that you deserve.Read More
The statistics for 2017 were just released regarding motorcycle fatalities across the nation, and there are only three states (and the District of Columbia) that saw more of a decrease than California. In fact, there were about 30% fewer fatal motorcycle accidents in the state of California than in 2016.
While this is good news indeed, we want to be sure that our clients are still using the safest practices while riding. For example, did you know that the majority of fatal motorcycle accidents don’t involve another driver? The biggest factor is speeding. So please be careful, obey the speed limits, and don’t ride faster than you feel comfortable with.
The Lane-Splitting Paradox
When California changed state driving laws to allow motorcyclists to engage in lane-splitting, people may have assumed that motorcycle accidents would increase. However, we can see that the opposite has occurred. While lane-splitting is not for every rider and should be done with extreme caution, the good news is that drivers seem to be paying more attention and watching for motorcycles more than before. Perhaps this is actually contributing to the decrease in fatal accidents.
Help for Motorcycle Accident Victims
While it is growing less common, there are still motorcycle accident victims who have been injured by distracted drivers. If you find yourself in this situation, please contact the Petrov Law Firm to see how we can help you to get the settlement that you deserve. We serve the Southern California area from our San Diego and Chula Vista offices, so call 619-344-0360 to schedule an appointment.Read More
Car accidents may not seem to leave any damage at first, but it is always important to be examined by a medical professional just in case an underlying injury occurred. Before you reach a settlement, here are five symptoms to watch out for.
- Migraines or Headaches – This can be an indicator of head or neck trauma. You may be experiencing post-concussion syndrome (PCS).
- Vertigo – Another indicator of PCS, whiplash can also lead to vertigo (A false sensation of movement that often presents as the feeling that the room is spinning.
- Diminished Cognitive Function – Memory and ability to focus, in particular, may be affected.
- Mood Swings or Irritability – Most people do not recognize this symptom in themselves, so don’t ignore it if a family member or co-worker mentions that you have been acting funny, perhaps a little more irritable than usual.
- Insomnia – This can be a symptom of PTSD (you may have nightmares about the accident), but it can also indicate PCS.
If any of these symptoms arise in the weeks or months following a car accident, be sure to go back to the doctor for an examination. Worry about getting well first, but you should also hire a personal injury attorney to help you maximize your settlement.
Southern California’s Personal Injury Attorneys
At Petrov Law Firm, we specialize in helping the victims of car accidents to recover their losses. Car insurance companies always try to pay out as little as they can. The right support can help you to get compensated for your medical bills as well as things like lost wages and emotional pain and suffering. To learn more, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be eligible to receive damages, especially if the other driver was negligent. What types of damages can be received? Here is a list of the losses you may be compensated for:
- Property damage – If your vehicle has been damaged, this can help to offset repairs. If it is damaged beyond repair, you should be compensated well enough to acquire a comparable vehicle.
- Medical bills – You should be compensated for existing medical bills as well as those you expect to accrue following the settlement.
- Lost wages – You may have already missed some work due to injuries. You may not even be able to work anymore. This will also factor into the settlement amount.
- Pain and suffering – Not all of your losses are material. What if you suffered emotional distress due to the accident? If you are now disabled or suffering from disfigurement, it may be difficult to place a monetary value on these damages. However, they should definitely be factored into the total.
Help in Receiving the Damages You Are Owed
If you have been in a car accident in the state of California, Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the appropriate compensation. Never agree to a settlement before getting the assistance of a personal injury attorney so that the insurance company cannot shortchange you. Call our San Diego office at 619-344-0360 before you sign anything or accept any money. We are here to help!Read More