According to a report by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, nearly all motor vehicle accidents are avoidable. Human error and poor decision-making contribute to more than nine out of every ten auto accidents. What are some of the most glaring mistakes that drivers make?
- Driving under the influence – Whether under the influence of alcohol, illicit drugs, or legal drugs, the results are the same. Intoxicated drivers can’t make good decisions and can end up in serious accidents leading to injuries and even fatalities. Never get behind the wheel if a substance is dulling your reactions.
- Speeding – The speed limit may sometimes seem like a nuisance when you are late or don’t see any other drivers around, but speeding plays a role in nearly every major traffic accident. The laws are in place for a reason.
- Distracted driving – Since the invention of the cell phone, distracted driving has become a bigger issue than ever before. However, reading a text is not the only thing that could cause you to get into an accident. Eating, applying makeup, and even taking your eyes off the road to change the radio station can all result in a dangerous crash.
California Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured by a driver who was involved in reckless behavior, you are certainly entitled to compensation. California is a tort state, so the at-fault driver’s insurance should cover your medical bills and other losses. Petrov Law Firm can help you to get the settlement that you deserve, rather than the pitiful offer most insurance companies try to get away with. Call 619.344.0360 to learn more.Read More
Fault in California car accidents is how the courts determine which driver’s insurance covers medical bills and other expenses. Here are some of the mistakes drivers make that can lead to serious car accidents that are completely their fault.
- Driving under the influence – Whether it is alcohol, drugs, or even some forms of prescription medication, it is always illegal to be under the influence while driving. This is particularly important to remember for drivers who were happy to see marijuana legalized in the state. Remember: it is still illegal to use marijuana while driving, to have marijuana open and accessible in the vehicle, or to be under the influence of this drug while driving.
- Speeding – This the leading cause of car accidents, including fatal accidents. Always obey the posted speed limit, especially in road construction areas.
- Distracted driving – While smartphones are the number one distraction in our technological era, there are many other ways to be distracted while driving. Everything from lighting up a cigarette to putting the finishing touches on makeup can be what takes a driver’s eyes off the road long enough for an accident to occur.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a car accident, the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. Insurance companies always want to settle for the lowest amount possible to protect their profits, so you want an experienced lawyer in your corner to help maximize your settlement. Before you agree to anything, call 619-344-0360 to learn how we can help.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
No one wants to be in a car accident, and that is why Petrov Law Firm offers safe driving advice. Here are a few tips for driving when road conditions are the most dangerous.
- Rain – Sometimes we forget that rain can make the roadways very slick. Be sure to leave extra space between you and other drivers, especially at highway speeds, and slow down more than usual when taking corners so you don’t hydroplane.
- Dark – Driving at night can make it difficult to see road hazards as well as pedestrians who may not be properly dressed for a nighttime walk. Keep your headlights in good shape and be sure to switch from hi-beams to low-beams for oncoming drivers.
- Construction – Speeding in a construction area could lead to having the blood of a construction worker on your hands. Always follow posted instructions when driving in a construction area. Even if no accident occurs, remember that penalties for breaking the speed limit are much greater in construction areas.
- Potholes – A pothole can destroy your tire. If you can avoid a pothole safely, do so. If not, it is best to strike the hole straight on and as slow as possible. The side walls of your tires are weaker, so a last-minute turn of the wheel could result in a blowout. If a warning light comes on after going through a pothole or if you feel a wobble, pull over immediately to check your tires.
California Car Accident Injury Lawyers
If you do find yourself needing a California car accident injury attorney, contact the Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. We can help you to maximize your settlement and get the compensation that you deserve.Read More
Car accidents may not seem to leave any damage at first, but it is always important to be examined by a medical professional just in case an underlying injury occurred. Before you reach a settlement, here are five symptoms to watch out for.
- Migraines or Headaches – This can be an indicator of head or neck trauma. You may be experiencing post-concussion syndrome (PCS).
- Vertigo – Another indicator of PCS, whiplash can also lead to vertigo (A false sensation of movement that often presents as the feeling that the room is spinning.
- Diminished Cognitive Function – Memory and ability to focus, in particular, may be affected.
- Mood Swings or Irritability – Most people do not recognize this symptom in themselves, so don’t ignore it if a family member or co-worker mentions that you have been acting funny, perhaps a little more irritable than usual.
- Insomnia – This can be a symptom of PTSD (you may have nightmares about the accident), but it can also indicate PCS.
If any of these symptoms arise in the weeks or months following a car accident, be sure to go back to the doctor for an examination. Worry about getting well first, but you should also hire a personal injury attorney to help you maximize your settlement.
Southern California’s Personal Injury Attorneys
At Petrov Law Firm, we specialize in helping the victims of car accidents to recover their losses. Car insurance companies always try to pay out as little as they can. The right support can help you to get compensated for your medical bills as well as things like lost wages and emotional pain and suffering. To learn more, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be eligible to receive damages, especially if the other driver was negligent. What types of damages can be received? Here is a list of the losses you may be compensated for:
- Property damage – If your vehicle has been damaged, this can help to offset repairs. If it is damaged beyond repair, you should be compensated well enough to acquire a comparable vehicle.
- Medical bills – You should be compensated for existing medical bills as well as those you expect to accrue following the settlement.
- Lost wages – You may have already missed some work due to injuries. You may not even be able to work anymore. This will also factor into the settlement amount.
- Pain and suffering – Not all of your losses are material. What if you suffered emotional distress due to the accident? If you are now disabled or suffering from disfigurement, it may be difficult to place a monetary value on these damages. However, they should definitely be factored into the total.
Help in Receiving the Damages You Are Owed
If you have been in a car accident in the state of California, Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the appropriate compensation. Never agree to a settlement before getting the assistance of a personal injury attorney so that the insurance company cannot shortchange you. Call our San Diego office at 619-344-0360 before you sign anything or accept any money. We are here to help!Read More
The NHTSA has released the numbers for 2016 traffic accidents and fatalities. What is the verdict for the state of California? It is officially the most dangerous state to drive in. How bad is it? What are the leading causes of traffic fatalities in California? What is your recourse if you have lost a loved on to such a terrible tragedy?
There are 50 states in the US, which makes California 2% of the nation. However, more than 10% of the fatal accidents in the country take place here. Now it is true that California makes up about 12% of the US population, so that skews the numbers a little. But driving is still one of the most dangerous things you can do in California. Why?
The two biggest dangers for drivers are speeding and distractions. One or both of these elements play into almost every fatal traffic accident in the state. Despite laws banning texting and driving, many still insist they know better. Others have been involved in fatal accidents while using social media and taking photos or videos while behind the wheel.
Compassionate Assistance for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One
If you have lost a family member in such a tragic way, our hearts go out to you. Please call 619-344-0360 to let the compassionate attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help you with your wrongful death suit. Our experienced team can help you to maximize a settlement. We know it won’t bring your loved one back, but we still want to help you to get what you need during your time of loss.Read More
California was ranked among the top 6 states for traffic safety laws according to a recent study performed by the Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety. What laws are in place that protect California residents? Are there any laws that could be added to increase safety further? How many fatalities occur on California roads despite these laws? Read on to learn the answers.
California State Laws that Protect Drivers
California lawmakers have adopted numerous laws to show that safety is important in the state. For example, seat belts are required for all drivers and passengers, including those in the back seat of the vehicle. Motorcycle riders are required to wear helmets. Infants and toddlers must be in a rear-facing seat at least through age 2, and there is a booster seat law in place. Other important laws include a ban on open alcoholic containers in the vehicle as well as a ban on texting and driving.
Other Laws Suggested in the Report
Of course, there are still states that have stricter laws when it comes to certain habits, and the report listed some that could be of benefit in California. For example, while texting and driving is banned, many states have a law against all hand-held devices. This would further reduce distractions for drivers. California also does not yet require ignition locks for all offenders of impaired driving laws.
If You Have Been Injured on California Roads
While no system of driving laws is perfect, one of the most highly trafficked states has been able to keep the 10-year fatality statistic at 31,750. Of course, many more are injured in accidents. It is estimated that accidents cost the state nearly $20 billion per year. If you have been injured in an automotive accident, seek the compensation you are owed by calling 619-344-0360. The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm will be happy to assist you.Read More
The CDC used 2013 figures to illustrate just how much fatal car accidents cost California residents every year. We’re not talking about the emotional toll that these deaths take on families. These numbers strictly represent the financial toll. The figures may prove shocking to you.
- $38 Million – This represents the medical costs left behind by patients who died in car accidents in the state of California in 2013 alone.
- $4.44 Billion – This staggering number is the amount of work loss costs incurred by these accidental deaths. Take, for example, the husband, father, and businessman who doesn’t make it home from work one evening. His family has lost perhaps decades of his income.
Of course, there is no way to calculate the impact of such tragedies in mere numbers. That’s why wrongful death plaintiffs often receive more than just medical compensation and compensation for loss of future income. Pain and suffering, as well as emotional losses, also need to be considered, and that can lead to settlements that provide well for a family during the long time of emotional healing that needs to take place following such a catastrophe.
Compassionate Lawyers for Your Wrongful Death Case in California
Petrov Law Firm has the compassionate lawyers that you want on your side during a wrongful death suit. Please remember though that time is of the essence when you have a case like this. As a result, we encourage you not to delay in calling our San Diego office at 619-344-0360.Read More
When a car accident occurs, the priority is to care for the injured. Then it is time to assign blame. This can determine if someone gets ticketed, whose insurance is responsible for the bill, and even if a lawsuit will occur. Here are five reckless things that people do behind the wheel that lead to accidents.
- Alcohol – Don’t drink and drive is a slogan even children know by heart, but that doesn’t stop people from getting behind the wheel after they’ve had a few.
- Speeding – This is what is behind just about every accident on the road. Even if there are also other factors like poor road conditions or being distracted, many accidents could still be avoided if people just obeyed the speed limit.
- Smartphones – Texting while driving is illegal in almost every state (get with the program Arizona, Missouri, and Montana), but really any smartphone use is going to distract a driver. In California, any handheld use of a smartphone is banned while driving.
- Distractions – Besides just smartphones, there are a lot of other things people do while driving that distracts them. Everything from eating and drinking to smoking and applying makeup can lead to a motor vehicle accident.
- Red Lights – Red means stop. It doesn’t get any clearer. Whether a person is distracted, driving too fast, or trying to “squeeze the lemon” on a yellow light that is long gone, running a red light can turn into a serious accident in a hurry.
If You Have Been Injured in a Car Accident in California
If you have been injured in a car accident in California, the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help you to receive the proper compensation for your losses. Before you sign anything from an insurance company accepting a settlement, give us a call at 619-344-0360. We can help you to maximize your settlement and avoid being cheated by a lowball insurance settlement.Read More