If you have been struck and injured by a car while riding your bike, you may be eligible for compensation from the driver’s insurance. Since California is a tort state, the amount of compensation you are due is related to who was at fault. With that in mind, don’t fall for these myths regarding bicycle accidents.
- Myth: Bicycle accidents are usually the cyclist’s fault – This is not necessarily true. Each accident has its own facts, and many car accidents involving bicycles are related to driver distraction rather than an indiscretion on the part of the cyclist.
- Myth: If you are partially to blame, you get nothing – In California, fault can be apportioned to each driver or cyclist in the accident. A percentage is assigned to determine who should be held accountable. So even if you bear some of the fault for the accident, you should still receive compensation for a percentage of your losses.
- Myth: Bicycles belong on the sidewalk – Not only is this not true, but it is also dangerous to ride on the sidewalk. You would be at fault if you were to injure a pedestrian. When there is no bicycle lane, you should be riding on the street and following normal traffic laws.
San Diego’s Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced personal injury attorneys to assist you after a bicycle accident injury. Get in touch today by giving us a call at 619.344.0360, and find out how we can help you to maximize your settlement.Read More
California has released traffic safety statistics for 2018 on the government website. These stats give us an insight into how safe (or unsafe) the roads are across the state. A couple of statistics stand out that are not strictly directed at drivers.
- Pedestrian fatalities actually decreased by 5% between 2017 and 2018.
- Bicycle fatalities went up by 6.89% during the same time period.
Whether pedestrians are using safer practices or drivers are being more conscious of sharing the road with those who are walking, it is good to see some improvement in the statistics. Unfortunately, those benefits are offset by the decline in safety for cyclists. Are cyclists failing to use proper precautions? Are distracted drivers just not seeing cyclists? It is important for bicycle riders and drivers alike to be educated about this trend.
For both walkers and bikers, visibility is crucial to safety—the more lights you have on your bicycle, the better. And reflective clothing at night is always a plus whether you are on a bike or going on foot. Don’t forget to wear the proper safety gear if you are riding your bicycle.
Help for Families Affected By Accidents in Southern California
From personal injury cases to wrongful death suits, Petrov Law Firm can help you to get the compensation you need if you or a loved one have been injured while walking or riding your bike in southern California. Get in touch with our experienced attorneys today by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
Bicycle accidents can turn deadly fast when a motor vehicle is involved. At the very least, a serious injury that requires medical attention is likely. Therefore, you want to do what you can to protect yourself. Here are a few tips that will prove beneficial for accident avoidance. Then we will let you know what to do if you have already been injured in an accident.
- Ride defensively – Your best weapon for defense is knowing where you are and realizing that drivers won’t always have that same information. While it is true that a driver should be aware of their surroundings, there are more distractions than ever before. Basically, you always have to assume that a driver doesn’t see you and ride accordingly.
- Wear reflective clothing – It also helps to have something reflective on your bike (especially since it is California law). This will serve as extra protection at night.
- Use bicycle lighting – Again, California has some legislation in this regard, but you may even want to go beyond what the law requires. Adding signal lights to go along with your hand signals may help drivers notice you.
And don’t forget to take your mask with you, while we are still dealing with this pandemic.
San Diego Attorneys to Help Accident Victims
The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if you have built up medical bills due to an accident. Call 619.344.0360 to speak with a compassionate attorney, and get your settlement started today.Read More
Riding your bike can be a great way to get exercise or even to beat traffic on your way to work. However, if you are riding your bike around southern California, there are a couple of things that you will want to do to improve your chances at avoiding an injury, especially when so many drivers are distracted and fail to pay attention to other drivers, let alone cyclists. Besides wearing a helmet and other protective gear, here are two more things to consider.
- Be especially careful of cars making right-hand turns – When a driver is turning right, they usually have the right of way. However, it also means crossing a bike lane in many cases. Some drivers fail to check for cyclists before turning. This can be particularly true when waiting at a red light. If you both start to go when the light changes, that would be especially dangerous.
- Proper lighting makes you visible – California law requires certain lights or reflectors on all bikes in the state. However, you can increase your visibility to drivers and improve your safety by going beyond what the law requires. Front and rear lights in the daytime and at night, along with signal lights, can help you alert drivers to your presence.
Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in an accident with a motor vehicle while riding your bike, call 619.344.0360 to get in touch with the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We help California residents get the settlements they deserve.Read More
When you are riding your bicycle around San Diego, safety must be of paramount importance. Cyclists rarely fare well when involved in an accident with a moving vehicle. That makes visibility critical for your well-being. What will make you the most visible to drivers?
Lights: The Most Important Safety Feature on Your Bicycle
The state of California actually has a few laws regarding lighting on your bike to make it more visible. Therefore, your bicycle should already have the following:
- A headlight for use when riding after dark
- A red rear reflector
However, you can increase your visibility and make riding even safer by adding additional lighting features beyond those required by law. For example:
- Use your headlight day and night to increase visibility during the day
- Get taillights instead of just a reflector to increase the likelihood of a driver seeing you from behind
- Acquire signal lights for drivers who don’t pay attention to hand signals or who have forgotten what they mean since taking their driving test
Bicycle Accident Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been injured in an accident while biking in southern California, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. Since California is a fault state, the driver’s insurance company may try to place some of the blame on you to reduce the settlement. Before you sign any sort of agreement, be sure to call 619.344.0360, so you can get an experienced lawyer on your side.Read More
Injuries caused by bicycle accidents result in over $200 million in medical bills and lost work across the country. Whether you are riding your bike around San Diego for pleasure or as your primary means of transportation, here are a few tips to help you avoid the dangers of sharing the road with drivers.
- Wear reflective clothing – While this is crucial during night riding, you can benefit from the extra visibility even during the daytime. Helping drivers see you will minimize the risks.
- Use signals when turning – Hand signals are a must for cyclists. However, if you can get signal lights for your bike, this will improve your visibility even more and be good for drivers who never learned what the hand signals mean.
- Don’t assume drivers see you – Even if you’ve made eye contact with a driver, it is still a good idea to yield the right of way to someone in a car. The best way to avoid injury is to ride defensively rather than aggressively.
Cyclist Accident Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in a bike accident, the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. Insurance companies often look for any excuse to avoid or minimize a payout. We can help you to get the settlement you deserve so that your medical bills and lost wages are covered. Give us a call today at 619-344-0360 to get your case started and receive the full compensation you are due.Read More
Whether you ride your bicycle around San Diego or the surrounding neighborhoods, for work, exercise, or fun, you need to use proper caution. Car accidents involving cyclists often result in serious injury to the person riding the bike. Here are a few tips to help keep you safe.
- Always wear a helmet – A helmet can’t guarantee that you will survive an accident with a motor vehicle, but it certainly improves your chances.
- Watch out for cars turning right – This is what puts you at the greatest risk, especially if the driver doesn’t check the bike lane before turning. At stoplights, wait to make sure drivers are not turning rather than trying to get a jumpstart on the light. It is legal to exit the bike lane and move into traffic when approaching a place where a driver may make a righthand turn. This will make you more visible. Once you are through the intersection, return to the bike lane as soon as you safely can.
- Have something reflective on your person and your bike – This will help make you more visible, especially at night but also during the day. For even more visibility, invest in head and taillights for your bike.
Bicycle Accident Injury Attorneys in Southern California
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help if you have been injured by a motor vehicle driver. A settlement can help you recover damages from medical bills, missed work, and additional pain and suffering caused by the accident. To learn more, call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
What is the number one factor when it comes to staying safe while riding your bike around San Diego and the surrounding neighborhoods? Visibility! If a driver doesn’t see you, things can get dangerous very quickly. Here is the safety tip that may save your life.
Lights – The Most Important Bicycle Safety Feature
There’s no law in California that says you have to have lights on your bike day and night. You do have to have a headlight for the front of your bike at night. A rear reflector is also required (and must be red). But since prevention is the best medicine, you may want to invest in more lights for your bike than just the minimum requirements.
If you can install headlights and tail lights on your bike, and have them running both day and night, you significantly increase the likelihood of a driver seeing you. Installing turn signals for drivers who are unfamiliar with hand signals is also a good idea.
Bicycle Accident Injuries in Southern California
If you have been injured while riding your bike in the San Diego area, let the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm help you to get a fair settlement. Insurance companies may seek to reduce the payout by placing some of the blame on the cyclist. We can help you get the full compensation that you deserve.
Before you sign any sort of settlement, it is important to get help from a professional attorney. To learn more, call 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More
In one recent year, bicycle accidents cost the US economy $222 million dollars in lost work and medical bills. Do you regularly ride a bike for recreation or for your work commute? If so, follow these simple tips to reduce the risk of accident and injury.
- Assume drivers don’t see you – Sadly, most drivers are too distracted to notice a cyclist. Whether it is a smartphone or just their own thoughts that are getting in the way, you need to ride defensively and assume drivers haven’t noticed you.
- Signal when turning – This is a bit of a two-edged sword. You need to use hand signals to let drivers know when you are making a turn, but you also have to ride like drivers won’t understand your hand signals. So use the signals, but don’t rely on them. Even better – get actual signal lights for your bike.
- Wear something reflective – This is especially important if you ride at night. Reflective clothes make drivers more likely to see you. Head and tail lights for your bike help even more.
Hopefully, these tips can help keep you safe. However, if you become the victim of a bike accident injury, we’re here to help.
Bike Accident Injury Attorneys in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm has the caring personal injury attorneys that you want on your side when you have been the victim of an accident. Contact us today by calling 619-344-0360 to learn how we can help you to receive compensation for your medical bills and lost wages.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More