If you believe you have been a victim of medical malpractice, these are some of the things that you need to know:
- You can receive compensation for damages – If you were able to heal with no losses despite negligence, there is really no basis for a malpractice case. However, if you lost wages, the ability to work, or suffered other physical or emotional damages, you may be due compensation.
- You can only file a claim against your doctor – If you seek a second opinion, that is one thing, but if your doctor gets a second opinion to back up his wrong decisions, you can’t sue both doctors.
- Mistakes must have caused damages – It may not be your fault that you are sick, but it is not the doctor’s fault either. Damages caused by the illness wouldn’t be compensated for unless, for example, they were preventable if a simple diagnosis had not been missed.
- Your doctor only has to provide a minimum standard of care – This is why it is vital to choose the right doctor. If minimum standards are met, you can’t sue your doctor for not going above and beyond.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego
The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help you to determine if you have a case and can help you to pursue the best outcome as far as receiving compensation is concerned. To learn more, speak with an expert today by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
Any time you go for a run, you have to consider how to remain safe when there are so many drivers on the road who are not paying as much attention as they should be. Here are four tips to help you optimize your safety.
- Look at drivers – Making eye contact is the best way to ensure that a driver sees you. In most cases, a driver will gesture to let you know he or she intends to wait for you to cross. Jog in place at the corner until you are sure it is safe.
- Run on safe roads – A back road with no sidewalks is going to be a dangerous place to run, especially if the weather conditions are not good for visibility.
- Pay attention to road conditions – Bad weather and darkness can affect a driver’s ability to see you or to stop in time if they don’t notice you until the last minute. Use extra caution and wear appropriate clothing that makes you more visible.
- Stay alert – As a runner, you need always to be thinking about your own safety. An accident may be a driver’s fault, but that won’t help you survive a crash. So make sure you are not the one who becomes distracted, perhaps by a mobile device.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if you are ever hurt in an accident. We hope you are able to enjoy your routine of running, but if an injury does occur due to a driver, call 619.344.0360 to get the help you need.Read More
Receiving proper medical care is of the utmost importance when you have been in some kind of accident. However, at some point, you need to start thinking about how you will pay the medical bills that come in, especially if you were cared for at a facility that isn’t in your insurance network. What should you know?
- If someone else was at fault for your accident or injury, you are entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills.
- You don’t have to see an in-network doctor to receive compensation for your medical bills. In fact, you don’t even have to use your medical insurance.
- You do have to either agree to a settlement or win a suit to receive any compensation.
- Medical bills are not the only losses that occur in an accident. You may also be able to receive compensation for lost wages and pain and suffering caused by the injury.
- Don’t sign anything until you speak with a lawyer. Insurance companies want to pay out as little as possible. They figure you will take less to avoid waiting for the money. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you to maximize your settlement.
Southern California’s Reliable Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in the San Diego area, the trustworthy lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have the experience you want in your corner when dealing with an insurance company after an injury. Contact us today at 619-344-0360 to learn more.Read More
If you live and drive in California, you need to know the smartphone driving laws so that you remain safe and don’t end up with a fine. However, many people misunderstand the rules. Here are a few common misconceptions.
- All drivers can make hands-free calls in California – For most drivers, this is the case. However, if you are under 18, you can’t use your phone at all. The best idea is to keep it turned off or in “do not disturb” mode while you drive, so you are not tempted to break the law.
- You can pick up your phone at a red light – Maybe you got this idea because you see people do it all the time, but it is definitely illegal. You can’t pick up your phone for any reason while driving, and that includes while idling at a red light. Also, breaking this rule is particularly annoying since it causes people to miss the light change and affects traffic (besides being a safety issue).
- You can’t touch your phone at all while driving – Actually, this one is not true as well. If the action you wish to take requires one tap or swipe, you can do it. Just don’t pick the phone up or let it distract you so much that you get into an accident.
San Diego Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in an accident, especially if the driver was distracted, the San Diego car accident lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. Call today at 619-344-0360 to get your case started.Read More
If you are looking for a safe way to provide financially for your family, there may be a few jobs that you want to avoid due to the high-risk. If you’ve already been injured in one of these or other jobs, then you may need assistance to get the compensation you deserve. Let’s look at California’s most dangerous jobs, and then we will tell you where to turn if you do suffer an injury.
- Assembling wooden products – Woodworking results in the use of a lot of high-powered tools. You need proper training, safety guidelines, and equipment that is well-maintained if you are going to avoid injury.
- Animal handlers – From raising animals to taking care of sick animals, one of the most dangerous jobs in the state is working with animals. Especially when sick or injured, the behavior of animals can be unpredictable.
- Courier – From private messengers to delivery services, it can be easy to suffer an injury when you are always around new locations, dogs you don’t know, and have to deal with adversarial situations.
- Working with the elderly – Home care workers and nursing home staff are actually at the highest risk for injury among California’s workforce.
If You Have Been Injured in a Work-Related Accident
If you have been injured on the job, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm in San Diego. We can help you to understand how compensation works and whether your case qualifies. Call 619.344.0360 to get started now.Read More
One of the most sensitive situations we work with at Petrov Law Firm is wrongful death cases. If you have lost a loved one in a tragic accident, we want to offer our condolences to you. We also want to let you know that if the death resulted from one of the following accident types, we may be able to help surviving family members receive financial compensation for your loss.
- Car accidents – If the other driver is to blame, you may be able to file for a wrongful death suit.
- Industrial accidents – Whether the death was caused by unsafe working conditions or a lack of proper training, you may be able to receive compensation.
- Product defects – If there was a known defect with a product that was sold or if the instructions for the product failed to explain safe usage, this may lead to a wrongful death case.
- Medical malpractice – From incorrect dispensation of medication to missing an obvious diagnosis, there are plenty of ways that your loss can be directly linked to malpractice on the part of a healthcare professional.
Compassionate Assistance for Grieving Families in Southern California
Of course, there could also be other situations where a company or individual is at fault in a fatality due to negligence or other reasons. Therefore, the best thing to do is to speak to a professional attorney who is experienced with wrongful death cases. To go over your situation with one of the compassionate lawyers at Petrov Law Firm, call 619.344.0360 today.Read More
The weather in San Diego is perfect for pedestrians, but sometimes conditions can be dangerous due to drivers who are distracted or in a hurry. That’s why we wanted to give walkers a few tips for navigating the streets of San Diego safely.
- Use the crosswalk – Drivers won’t expect to see a pedestrian pop out from in between two parked cars. Also, J-walking is illegal, and you could get hit with a fine.
- Look both ways – Mom and dad were right. Always look both ways before crossing the street. This is true even when you have the walk signal in your favor. A distracted driver could easily speed through the intersection despite the light being red.
- Always walk sober – It can be just as dangerous (for you) to walk home under the influence as driving home. Make sure you have a designated driver or call a reputable service to pick you up.
- Avoid distracted walking – Walking while on your phone can be just as dangerous to you as using it while driving. There may not be a law against looking at your phone while crossing the road, but if you step in front of a car, the fact that you weren’t breaking the law won’t save your life.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in an accident as a pedestrian, you want the help of the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. Insurance companies try to make it look like the pedestrian shares blame, so they don’t have to pay out as much. We can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call 619-344-0360 to learn more.Read More
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimated that in 2013 and there were 800 deaths, 44,000 injuries, and 72,000 accidents that resulted from driving while drowsy. However, the CDC believes that this is a gross underestimate, citing fatal accidents at 6,000 per year. If that’s true, there may be hundreds of thousands of accidents and injuries each year, all of which are easily avoidable by getting some rest before getting on the road or pulling over if you get tired.
Here are three factors that make driving tired so dangerous.
- Slower reaction times – Drivers need quick reactions to avoid dangers both in the road and from other drivers. A drowsy driver is less likely to have the ability to avoid an accident due to slowed reflexes.
- Inhibited thought processes – Driving involves tons of split-second decisions. Should you pull out in front of that car? Do you need to start breaking? Is it safe to change lanes? A tired driver is more likely to make the wrong choice.
- Limited attention span – A large percentage of accidents are due to distracted driving. A tired driver is less likely to be able to ignore a distraction and stay focused on the road.
Car Accident Injury Lawyers in San Diego
Sadly, drowsy driving still happens. This and other driving mistakes lead to many accidents and injuries. If you have been injured by a drowsy or distracted driver, Petrov Law Firm can help you get the settlement that you deserve. Call us today at 619-344-0360 to get your case started.Read More
A pre-existing condition can have an impact on a personal injury lawsuit. However, you can minimize the impact by doing a couple of simple things. Here are the two ways to ensure your pre-existing condition helps your case rather than hurting it:
- Don’t try to hide it – The fact that you have a pre-existing condition is going to come out. Trying to hide it is always going to hurt you. It makes it look like you have something to hide. That’s going to make it tougher to get a settlement, and it certainly can prejudice a jury against you should the case go to trial.
- Have your doctor compare your medical records – For example, if you suffer a neck injury in a car accident, but you already have a history of neck pain, there should be x-rays from both before and after the accident for a medical professional to compare. This can show that, regardless of whether you already had neck problems, the car accident made the issues worse. In this way, a pre-existing condition may be able to help make your case rather than being a hindrance.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista
If you have suffered an injury in southern California, regardless of whether you have a pre-existing health condition, contact the professional personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm. From our convenient office locations in San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista, we can help you to maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
If you want to get your personal injury case started right, you need to know how different injury causes impact a possible case. Here are a few common personal injury causes and a little information to get you started.
- Car accident – Determining fault is important in a car accident case. Since California is a vault state, the percent of fault assigned to each party determines the amount of your losses you are able to recover.
- Dog bites – If you are injured by a dog who is owned by someone else, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical bills and other losses. You have to show that the owner was negligent in some way, either in how the dog acted in public or when you were legally in a private location.
- Slip and fall injury – For this type of claim, there has to be some proof that the property owner is at fault either due to causing the circumstances that led to the fall or being negligent in correcting an existing problem.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you are in need of a personal injury attorney in southern California, give the pros at Petrov Law Firm a call. We can help you to calculate a reasonable settlement properly and work on your behalf to get an insurance company to pay what you deserve. We specialize in car accidents, dog bites, slip and fall injuries, and wrongful death cases. Give us a call at 619-344-0360 to get your case started today.Read More