When a dog bite occurs, it leads to medical care about one in five times. However, the odds are far more likely for a child to need medical assistance after a dog attack. The reason is that a child’s head, face, and neck are closer to a dog’s mouth, so the bites are more likely to take place in a dangerous area. Here are five tips to help prevent dog bites for your family.
- Teach your child to let the dog sniff them before petting.
- Teach your child to avoid dogs that are caring for pups, sleeping, or eating – Dogs are more likely to attack during these vulnerable times.
- Encourage your child to ask the dog’s owner for permission before attempting to pet it – Even if the dog seems friendly, the owner can alert you if it is prone to snap at strangers.
- Don’t leave your child alone with a dog, even if it is your family pet.
- Help your child know what to do around a threatening dog – If a child gets scared when a dog growls, this will only encourage the animal to get more aggressive. It is important to remain calm, back away, and avoid eye contact.
Help if a Member of Your Family Has Been Bitten
If you are accumulating medical bills due to a dog bitting a member of your family, Petrov Law Firm can help. This is one of the forms of personal injury law that we specialize in. Just call 619.344.0360 to speak with one of our San Diego based lawyers, and we can get your California injury settlement started today.Read More
Millions of dog attacks occur each year across the US, resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation. However, you would obviously prefer to avoid an attack on a member of your family then have to seek a settlement, so here are a few tips to help prevent dog bites, particularly when it comes to children.
- Don’t approach chained dogs – Teach your kids to avoid dogs that are chained up. Clearly, the owner knows the dog is high-risk for an attack, so getting close to the dog is asking for trouble. It is unlikely that an insurance company will cover an attack by a dog that has been provoked.
- Be careful about certain breeds – Pitbulls and any sort of pitbull mix are known to be an issue when it comes to dog attacks. However, you also need to be careful with several other breeds. One that may surprise you is the German shepherd. They are very protective of their own family, so their kids will be safe, but you may not be.
- Have your family dog neutered or spayed – Statistics show that this will decrease the risk of your household pet attacking a member of the family.
San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys for Dog Attacks
The lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can handle any personal injury claim. However, one of our specialties is dog bites. So if you or a loved one has experienced an attack in southern California, we’re here to help. Call 619.344.0360 to get your case started today.Read More
Every year there are millions of Americans who get bit by dogs. Many of the bites that occur involve children. A few reminders on how to deal with strange dogs or even how to properly care for dogs at home may help protect your family.
- Get your family pets spayed or neutered – Most dog attacks are committed by animals that have not been spayed or neutered, so be sure to take care of this for your family pets.
- Avoid contact with dangerous breeds that are known for attacks – Most people recognize the dangers that are associated with pit bulls. German shepherds are another dog to watch out for when it is someone else’s dog. They are known to protect their own families.
- Don’t go near a chained dog – The dog is on a chain for a reason. Teach your children that they should not even approach a dog that is on a chain. One-quarter of fatal dog attacks involved animals that are chained up.
If you or a loved one has been bitten by someone else’s dog, be sure to get the contact information for the owner and the vet. Once any medical danger has passed, it is time to call a personal injury attorney to see if any compensation may be available.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog, you may be able to receive compensation for medical bills or other damages. In fact, in 2018 alone, insurance companies paid out approximately $675 million dollars in claims for dog bites. To get your case started, call 619.344.0360 today.Read More
Millions of dog bites occur every year across America. While there are many other more present dangers, you still want to remind your family of how to act around dogs to avert disaster. Here are a few important tips.
- Avoid dogs that are chained up – The owner has the dog chained for a reason. It is probably a watchdog and is very dangerous. In fact, 25% of dog attacks that turn fatal occur when a chained dog is provoked.
- Watch out for dangerous breeds – Pit bulls are the most well-known biters. However other breeds can also be very protective, especially German shepherds.
- Always neuter or spay family pets – It is far more common for animals that have not been neutered or spayed to bite.
- Compensation may be available – If a family member receives an injury from someone else’s dog, you may be able to receive compensation for medical bills. Insurance companies paid out more than $500,000,000 in 2017 for dog bite claims. You just need help in order to receive the maximum settlement that you deserve.
Dog Bite Lawyers in Southern California
If you or a member of your family has been injured by some else’s dog, give the dog bite lawyers at Petrov Law Firm a call at 619.344.0360. We can help keep the insurance company honest and make sure that they are offering everything that you deserve. From medical bills and missed wages to pain and suffering, we can help you calculate the right settlement.Read More
In the US, there are about 90 million dogs in peoples’ homes as pets. So with that many dogs around people all of the time, you may not be surprised to find out that there are about 4.5 million dog bites each year. While most people do not require medical attention following a bite, about 1 in 5 will.
If you are bitten by a dog, here is a quick guide to getting the proper help:
- Acquire contact info from the owner. If you cannot verify that the dog has received the proper vaccinations, you will require rabies inoculation.
- Use soap and water to clean the bite area thoroughly. This will help to prevent an infection from occurring.
- If a serious injury has occurred and you cannot care for your own injuries or reach a medical facility on your own, call 911. For less serious injuries, you may call your doctor and ask for advice on whether a trip to the ER is needed.
- Contact the veterinarian who treats the dog directly. Don’t take the owner’s word for it that the pet is up to date on immunizations.
- Keep track of any medical bills you accrue or work you may have missed due to the injury and bring this information with you to your personal injury lawyer.
Dog Bite Attorney in San Diego, California
The attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are experts in the law when it comes to injuries due to dog attacks. If you have been injured by a dog bite, contact us today at 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More
If you have children, it is important to teach them safety around dogs, even if your family has a docile pet in the home. According to Canine Journal, Americans are twice as likely to be killed by a bee as a dog, and 20 times more likely to be killed by a gun, but that doesn’t mean you should be unprepared. Here are some facts about dog bites that can help you teach your children.
- In 25% of fatal dog attacks, the dog is chained up. That makes it vital to instruct your children not to approach chained dogs. The chain is there for a reason.
- While pit bulls have a terrible reputation as being the most dangerous breed, there are other dog breeds that are known to bite. Another common breed is German shepherds, which can be very protective.
- Most dogs that bite have not been neutered or spayed, so always have the family pet fixed to reduce the risks.
- Insurance companies paid out over half a billion dollars in claims due to dog bites in 2017 alone, so if you suffer an injury from someone else’s dog, you may be able to seek compensation.
If You or a Family Member Has Been Injured in a Dog Attack
If you or a loved one have been injured by a dog, you need the help of the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. Medical bills can really add up after a dog bite, and the owner’s insurance may compensate you depending on the circumstances. To see if you should pursue a settlement, contact us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
According to Canine Journal, dogs bite approximately 4.5 million people every year. That’s a shocking number (although not as shocking if you consider the fact that American households keep about 90 million dogs as pets nationwide).
The good news is that over 80% of dog bites do not cause injuries requiring medical treatment according to the National Canine Research Council. In fact, your lifetime odds of being killed in a dog attack is 1 in 112,382. As a point of reference, you have a 1 in 315 chance of being killed by a gun in the US (according to a February 2018 article in Business Insider.)
If you do happen to be injured in a dog attack, what should you do?
- Get the owner’s contact info if the owner is present. You’re going to want the dog’s immunization records. Without those, you will have to be inoculated for rabies.
- Clean the would thoroughly with soap and water to stave off the risk of infection.
- If you are seriously injured, you may need to call 911. If the injury isn’t that bad and it is during your doctor’s normal office hours, you can call to see if your doctor will see you at the office or recommends that you go to the ER.
- Call the dog’s vet to ensure the animal’s immunizations are up to date.
- If you have accumulated medical bills or suffered other losses as a result of the attack, contact a personal injury attorney.
California Personal Injury Attorneys Specializing in Dog Bites
At Petrov Law Firm, we specialize in helping victims of dog bites and other animal attacks. To gain the benefits of our expertise on this topic, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
If you love to run, you probably recognize the need to exercise caution in certain circumstances. Road conditions, vehicles that may be sharing the road, and neighborhood dogs can all be concerns depending on where you choose to get your exercise in. Today, we’re going to look at 4 safety tips for runners if you tend to encounter dogs on your route.
- Stay alert – Most dog attacks can be avoided simply by keeping out of the animal’s way. Don’t stray into a private yard or run too close to someone who is struggling to control a dog.
- Change your route – If a neighborhood dog seems dangerous, you may want to consider mapping out a route that doesn’t go near his family home.
- Keep your distance – If you can safely cross the street or in some other way avoid a dog that has gotten lose, putting the most distance between the two of you is always a good idea.
- Know the signs – Are the dog’s hackles up? Is it growling? Is it trying to challenge you by locking stares? While you may sometimes encounter a friendly dog on your daily run, don’t engage a dog that is clearly looking for a fight.
If You Have Suffered a Dog Bite in Southern California
If you have suffered a dog bite in California while running or performing any other activity, you may be due compensation for medical bills or other losses you might have suffered. To learn more, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm in San Diego by calling 619-344-0360.Read More
If you have been injured, you may wonder how you will receive compensation for your medical bills, lost work, and other expenses that you incur. The solution will be related to the answers to the following three questions.
What Type of Injury Did You Suffer?
There are a number of different ways that may have sustained a personal injury. Some of these possibilities include:
- Car accidents
- Dog or other animal bites
- Slip and fall accidents
The way you were injured is important because different California state laws will dictate who is at fault for the injury and how the expenses will be covered.
When Did the Injury Occur?
Why is the timing of the injury important? It is because California state law has a statute of limitations on seeking compensation for an accident that leads to injury. As a result, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as you can following such an injury.
Who Is Responsible for the Injury?
Finally, you need to determine if there was any fault or negligence on the part of someone else that led to your injury. Most defending lawyers in a personal injury case will try to make a case that blame is shared due to various factors. You want someone in your corner who can ensure you are fully compensated for your losses.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego, California
If you have been injured in southern California, contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We have the experience and ability to help you maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 today to get started.Read More