Bicycle Safety Tips for California Riders
In southern California, it is almost always the perfect weather for riding a bike. It is a great way to commute to work and beat the traffic. Cycling is also a healthy way to get some exercise. We want to provide some tips to help you ride safely, whether you live in a city or a suburb.
- Keep to the right – The only times a cyclist should move out toward the left part of the lane are when passing a fellow cyclist or when making a left-hand turn. Be sure to use proper hand signals to let drivers know you are turning.
- Use a bike lane if one is present – These are provided to protect you from drivers.
- Always wear proper protective gear – Even if you are over 18 and it is not a matter of the law, you still want to wear a helmet. In case of an accident, a helmet could save your life.
- Watch out for pedestrians – Cyclists have to follow the same laws as drivers. You should always yield the right of way to pedestrians, especially if there is a crosswalk.
- Have all the legal lighting and reflectors – Besides what is required by law, you may want to add even more lighting and reflective surfaces to increase your visibility.
If You Have Been Injured in a Cycling Accident
Petrov Law Firm can help cyclists who have been injured in southern California. Contact us today at 619.344.0360 to learn how we can help you to maximize the settlement you receive from the insurance company.