According to a report by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, nearly all motor vehicle accidents are avoidable. Human error and poor decision-making contribute to more than nine out of every ten auto accidents. What are some of the most glaring mistakes that drivers make?
- Driving under the influence – Whether under the influence of alcohol, illicit drugs, or legal drugs, the results are the same. Intoxicated drivers can’t make good decisions and can end up in serious accidents leading to injuries and even fatalities. Never get behind the wheel if a substance is dulling your reactions.
- Speeding – The speed limit may sometimes seem like a nuisance when you are late or don’t see any other drivers around, but speeding plays a role in nearly every major traffic accident. The laws are in place for a reason.
- Distracted driving – Since the invention of the cell phone, distracted driving has become a bigger issue than ever before. However, reading a text is not the only thing that could cause you to get into an accident. Eating, applying makeup, and even taking your eyes off the road to change the radio station can all result in a dangerous crash.
California Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured by a driver who was involved in reckless behavior, you are certainly entitled to compensation. California is a tort state, so the at-fault driver’s insurance should cover your medical bills and other losses. Petrov Law Firm can help you to get the settlement that you deserve, rather than the pitiful offer most insurance companies try to get away with. Call 619.344.0360 to learn more.Read More
You may already have an estate plan in place, which is a good way to show your mate you want to care for their future. However, having children should result in changes to your estate plan. Here are a few of the reasons.
- Preparing for the possible need for a legal guardian – When holding your newborn, you probably aren’t thinking about where they would be if you and your spouse were suddenly gone. However, every parent should prepare for legal guardianship of their child in the event of a tragedy.
- Set up a trust for dispensing inheritance – For everything from college tuition to buying a house for the first time to getting married, you want to set aside funds for the big events in your child’s life. A trust can allow you to set aside assets that your child will be able to use in the future, whether or not you are there to provide support in person.
- Increase your life insurance – When it was just you and your mate, you may not have felt the need to carry a large policy. However, if something happens to you now, you want to be sure to have a large enough life insurance policy to support a single parent. This may mean increasing your life insurance policy, especially if you provide the family’s main income.
California Estate Planning Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm can help you to update your existing estate plan or to develop a new one from scratch. Call our San Diego office at 619.344.0360 today to get started.Read More
When you hear of major accidents on Interstates, a truck is likely to be involved. Simply because of the size and weight of these vehicles, cars don’t fare well in accidents, and injures may be serious. When a truck driver loses control over what they are hauling, it can result in serval types of accidents.
- Rolls – If a truck takes a turn too rapidly, the whole thing can tip over. This would be very bad for any vehicles that are unfortunate enough to be next to the truck.
- Jackknifing – When a driver pulls the wheel too tightly, especially at high speeds, a truck may jackknife. This means that the trailer swings wildly out behind the cab, perhaps to one side, or maybe fishtailing several times. This can be disastrous for any vehicles that happen to be nearby.
- Overly wide turn – Semis can’t turn as tightly as a car. As a result, a driver may swing out into another lane and strike a car. Of course, other drivers should realize this danger and provide extra space. However, it is always the truck driver’s fault if they move into another vehicle’s lane and hit them.
Personal Injury Cases Involving Trucks in California
Petrov Law Firm in San Diego is here to help if you have been injured by a truck driver in California. Our attorneys are experienced in helping clients to maximize their settlements in these particular instances. Call 619.344.0360 today to learn more and to get your case started.Read More
A slip and fall injury can result in massive medical bills regardless of whether you are able to block your fall with your arms and legs or your head ends up striking the ground. When you have been injured due to the negligence of an individual, business, or public entity, you should receive compensation for your losses. Here are a few tips to help you get what you deserve.
- Go to the doctor – Without a diagnosis, you are unlikely to receive any compensation. Remember that the settlement should cover your medical bills, so don’t let the cost of medical care stop you from getting the help you need.
- Gather evidence – Photos of the scene and a copy of the accident report will help to build your case. Remember that you should track your medical bills, missed workdays, and other evidence that you experienced losses due to the injury.
- Contact a personal injury attorney – You are going to be dealing with an insurance company that wants to pay out as little as possible. They will try to get you to admit fault or may engage in other tactics to reduce or eliminate your settlement. A lawyer is necessary to maximize your compensation.
Get the Help You Need After a Slip and Fall Injury in California
Petrov Law Firm has experienced personal injury attorneys to help you with your case in southern California. Contact us today by calling our San Diego office at 619.344.0360 and let us help you get the settlement you deserve.Read More
If you have been struck and injured by a car while riding your bike, you may be eligible for compensation from the driver’s insurance. Since California is a tort state, the amount of compensation you are due is related to who was at fault. With that in mind, don’t fall for these myths regarding bicycle accidents.
- Myth: Bicycle accidents are usually the cyclist’s fault – This is not necessarily true. Each accident has its own facts, and many car accidents involving bicycles are related to driver distraction rather than an indiscretion on the part of the cyclist.
- Myth: If you are partially to blame, you get nothing – In California, fault can be apportioned to each driver or cyclist in the accident. A percentage is assigned to determine who should be held accountable. So even if you bear some of the fault for the accident, you should still receive compensation for a percentage of your losses.
- Myth: Bicycles belong on the sidewalk – Not only is this not true, but it is also dangerous to ride on the sidewalk. You would be at fault if you were to injure a pedestrian. When there is no bicycle lane, you should be riding on the street and following normal traffic laws.
San Diego’s Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm has the experienced personal injury attorneys to assist you after a bicycle accident injury. Get in touch today by giving us a call at 619.344.0360, and find out how we can help you to maximize your settlement.Read More
After you have been injured in an automotive accident, it is crucial to follow some essential steps to reach a fair settlement. This will help you to pay your medical bills and to recover financially from other losses you may have endured as a result of the injury. Here are a few tips to help you maximize your settlement.
- Track your expenses – You need to prove that the accident caused a monetary loss. So be sure to keep track of your medical bills related to the accident as well as property damage, lost wages, and the like.
- Never let the insurance company take a statement – Your personal injury attorney should be the only person speaking about your accident with the insurance company. Verbal or written statements can be used against you, and that includes anything you post about the accident on social media.
- Get a medical examination – You should see the doctor as soon as possible after your accident, even if there is no immediate danger. The sooner you see the doctor, the easier it will be to link your injuries to the accident.
- Document what you can – Take pictures or videos of the accident. Be sure to get a copy of the police report.
Get Help from an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
Going up against an insurance company alone is a sure way to get less than you deserve. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help you to get a fair settlement. Call 619.344.0360 today to get your case started.Read More
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence or intent, you deserve compensation (no matter what an insurance company may try to tell you). Here are some myths surrounding personal injury cases so that you don’t miss out on the settlement you deserve.
- Myth 1: I Don’t Have a Case – Even minor injuries can lead to major medical bills or missed days of work. Plus, there can be emotional trauma or stress due to the injury. If there are monetary damages, you have a case.
- Myth 2: The Insurance Company Will Offer a Fair Settlement – The insurance company will offer you as little as they possibly can and will pressure you to take it.
- Myth 3: It Will Take Too Long to Get the Money – Most personal injury cases close within a year from the time the filing is complete. While that may seem like forever today, think of how long it will take you to recover from your losses if you do not receive a settlement or if you accept a lowball offer that doesn’t cover all of the damages.
- Myth 4: People Who File Lawsuits Are Greedy – It’s not greedy to receive fair compensation when you suffer losses due to someone else’s negligence. Yes, some people file frivolous lawsuits, but if you work with a reputable personal injury attorney, they will tell you honestly if you should pursue compensation or if your lawsuit is not legitimate.
Trustworthy Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been injured in southern California, contact Petrov Law Firm. Our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you to determine if you have a case. Call 619.344.0360 today to ensure you get the settlement you deserve.Read More
Whether you are in a car accident or you slip and fall, a head injury can cause post-concussion syndrome (PCS). The insidious thing about PCS is that you may not feel that bad after the accident. In fact, you may not even get diagnosed with a concussion if you don’t seek medical attention right away. How can you identify post-concussion syndrome in the days or even weeks following an injury? Here are some of the most common symptoms.
- Headaches – usually tension headaches that could also be related to a neck injury
- Vertigo or dizziness
- Trouble sleeping
- Memory or concentration problems
- Tinnitus – ringing in your ears
- Sensory sensitivities – especially to bright lights or loud sounds
- Blurry vision
The good news is that the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases in California is two years. So even if you discover long-term effects from your accident in the months that follow, you still have time to begin your case and receive compensation.
Of course, you will need to be examined by a doctor to determine if your injuries and symptoms are related to the accident. You can’t just diagnose yourself from a symptoms list. Be sure to track things like medical expenses and missed days of work.
Get the Help You Need for a Personal Injury Case in Southern California
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if you have been injured in an accident in the state of California. Contact our San Diego offices today by calling 619.344.0360, and we will help you to receive the compensation you deserve.Read More
What benefits can you expect to receive when you hire an estate planning attorney? Here are some of the services provided.
- Draft a last will and testament – This is the most basic form of estate planning but should still be drafted properly by an attorney in your state as each state has its own laws of succession.
- Designate beneficiaries – You also want to review your beneficiaries periodically or when you experience a life-changing event (birth or death in the family, divorce, marriage, etc.).
- Set up a DPA (durable power of attorney) and designate a medical DPA – This can allow someone to make financial or medical decisions for you if you become incapacitated.
- Find a workaround for the estate tax, as needed – For very large estates, this is essential so that your heirs don’t pay exorbitant tax rates.
- Reduce or eliminate the need for your estate to go through probate court – Probate can get expensive and increase the amount of time it takes for your beneficiaries to receive their inheritance.
- Establish living trusts so you can control your assets while alive but ensure they go to the right individual(s) when you pass away.
Estate Planning Attorneys in San Diego
If you live in southern California, you can easily obtain all of these benefits by contacting Petrov Law Firm. Call 619.344.0360 to speak with an estate planning attorney who is experienced with California state laws. We can help you to begin a new estate plan or review an existing plan to ensure your wishes will be properly carried out.Read More
A personal injury attorney can help you to maximize your settlement, and that is usually a person’s purpose in seeking out legal counsel after an accident. However, your personal injury attorney can handle a lot of other steps on the path to the settlement. Here are a few of the things you get when you hire a personal injury lawyer for your case.
- Learn your legal rights – Every state is unique when it comes to personal injury cases, so a local attorney can help you to understand your rights.
- Go over the particulars of your case – Do you qualify for compensation? What types of compensation should be considered in the settlement?
- Be a go-between with the insurance company – The insurance company is going to try and get you to say something that will get them out of having to pay anything at all. Having a lawyer be a go-between ensures you never have to speak to an insurance agent who might otherwise trick you into saying something that hurts your case.
- Investigate and advise – Your lawyer will help investigate the case and will advise you on the best way to proceed.
- Go over the settlement – When you receive an offer, an attorney can help you to review it to make sure you do not agree to something detrimental to you. A lowball settlement can be renegotiated based on the facts of the case.
Hire the Right Personal Injury Lawyer in California
Petrov Law Firm has experienced injury attorneys you can trust in San Diego. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get all the help you need for your case.Read More