There are three important things that you have to do if you have been injured by a slip and fall accident. Taking these crucial steps will help you to get the settlement you need to cover your losses due to the injury.
- Step 1: Get the medical help you need – Your health should be your top priority after an injury. While step two is important, if you are seriously injured, getting care has to come before gathering evidence.
- Step 2: Document the incident – Hopefully, you or someone who was with you at the scene of the accident was able to take some pictures as evidence. Also, the place where you were injured should have had you fill out some sort of accident report. You should have received a copy of that.
- Step 3: Hire an experienced personal injury attorney right away – The fact is that companies will use the statute of limitations to their advantage to try and force you into taking a settlement that is way less than what you deserve. Going to a professional right away can give you the leverage you need when trying to get a fair settlement to cover your medical expenses and other direct and indirect losses.
Hire the Personal Injury Attorneys Southern California Can Rely On
Petrov Law Firm has the experience you want in your corner when working toward a personal injury settlement. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get your case started today!Read More
When you experience an injury and it is someone else’s fault, you want help getting the compensation that you deserve. After all, compensation is usually going to come from an insurance company with an attorney whose one job is to make sure they pay out as little as possible. What are some of the more common personal injury cases in California, and why should you hire an experienced attorney?
- Slip and fall injuries – Getting your case going well before the statute of limitations is up is the first important step when it comes to a slip and fall accident. Now is the time to start gathering evidence so as to negotiate a settlement.
- Dog bites – Insurance companies payout money on a daily basis for dog bites that occur all across the country. If someone else’s dog has attacked you without provocation, you should at least receive compensation for any medical bills that you incur as a result of the attack.
- Car accidents – As more cars get back on the road, you can expect to see the number of accidents and injuries on the rise again. The COVID-19 pandemic didn’t stop people from driving recklessly, distracted, or just too fast. California is a fault state, so if it is the other driver’s fault, their insurance should be paying out.
Personal Injury Attorneys with Experience in San Diego
If you have sustained a personal injury in these or other ways, you need the help of experienced attorneys to maximize your settlement. Petrov Law Firm is here to help residents of San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista. Call 619.344.0360 to get started right away.Read More
Estate planning is an important part of thinking ahead for the future of your family. What are some things that you need to remember when preparing your estate? Here are three important tips.
- Estate planning laws vary from state to state – That means you have to update your plan any time you move between states. It also means that you need to work with an estate planning attorney from the state you are a resident of when setting up your plan.
- Review your estate plan regularly – You should look over your estate plan each year. However, if you have a major lifechanging event occur, this calls for reviewing the plan immediately. Such events can include adding a family member (marriage, birth, adoption, etc.) or losing a family member (divorce, death, disowning, etc.).
- Don’t forget planning for your health needs – Preparing your medical wishes in advance is a crucial part of estate planning. You also have the opportunity to appoint a healthcare agent who can speak for you and advocate for your wishes should you become incapacitated for a time. Therefore, you don’t want to forget your advance medical directive when preparing your estate.
Estate Planning Attorneys in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm has southern California’s premier estate planning attorneys. Give us a call at 619.344.0360 to discuss your options. We’re here to help you prepare for the future so that your family and your own needs will be well cared for.Read More
A cookie-cutter last will and testament template from the Internet might be able to help you assign an executor, assuming it is worded properly for the state you live in. However, real estate planning requires the help of a local professional who understands state laws regarding succession. If you want to put your own personal stamp on your estate plan, here are a few things you won’t find in a generic template.
- Recordings – You’ve probably watched a movie or TV show wherein someone leaves a video message behind for loved ones to treasure. Digital storage makes for an even more lasting keepsake. Your video can be played over and over, even to introduce you to generations of your family that are born after you pass on.
- Charitable contributions – What better way to leave a legacy than to support your favorite cause? You can provide assistance for the community and provide your heirs with an object example in being generous at the same time.
- Conditional trusts – Conditional trusts allow you to support the hopes and aspirations of your beneficiaries. You can make the trust conditional on anything like an heir getting married, buying their first home, having a child, going to college, starting a business, going to rehab, or whatever else you want to support them in accomplishing.
Creating a Lasting Legacy for Your Family
Estate planning is so much more than just deciding who gets what. Petrov Law Firm can help you explore the options that are available to you in the state of California, call 619.344.0360 to learn more today.Read More
Riding your bike can be a great way to get exercise or even to beat traffic on your way to work. However, if you are riding your bike around southern California, there are a couple of things that you will want to do to improve your chances at avoiding an injury, especially when so many drivers are distracted and fail to pay attention to other drivers, let alone cyclists. Besides wearing a helmet and other protective gear, here are two more things to consider.
- Be especially careful of cars making right-hand turns – When a driver is turning right, they usually have the right of way. However, it also means crossing a bike lane in many cases. Some drivers fail to check for cyclists before turning. This can be particularly true when waiting at a red light. If you both start to go when the light changes, that would be especially dangerous.
- Proper lighting makes you visible – California law requires certain lights or reflectors on all bikes in the state. However, you can increase your visibility to drivers and improve your safety by going beyond what the law requires. Front and rear lights in the daytime and at night, along with signal lights, can help you alert drivers to your presence.
Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in an accident with a motor vehicle while riding your bike, call 619.344.0360 to get in touch with the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We help California residents get the settlements they deserve.Read More
The dangers of traffic accidents make driving a risky, albeit necessary, activity. What are some road conditions that increase the risk of injury, and how can you navigate these circumstances safely? Here are a few tips.
- Bad weather – Rain can make the road slippery, and fog can reduce visibility. When you are driving in inclement weather, be sure to drive slower than usual. Use the correct setting for your car’s headlights. Also, while you should never tailgate, you need to leave extra room between you and the driver ahead if the weather is bad.
- Construction zones – You need to stay alert to protect the lives of workers in construction areas. That includes following all posted signs that may indicate reduced speeds or restricted lane usage. You also need to be careful when it comes to the potential for tire damage.
- Night driving – Darkness reduces visibility. Headlights can light your way, but you need to be sure to switch to the low beams when traffic is coming toward you. Remember that it will be more difficult to see hazards in the road and drive accordingly.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you have experienced an injury in a car accident, you need the assistance of experienced personal injury attorneys. Call Petrov Law Firm today at 619.344.0360 to speak with experienced lawyers in the San Diego area. We can help you get the compensation that you deserve to receive from tightfisted insurance companies. Get your settlement started today!Read More
Estate planning can help you to ensure that your family is well taken care of should something happen to you unexpectedly. Your estate plan can also protect your rights. Here are a few tips if you are not sure where to begin.
- Don’t wait – If an accident were to take your life tomorrow or a sudden illness causes you to become incapacitated, the right time to prepare your documents is today.
- Talk with a professional – Hire an experienced estate planning attorney rather than taking chances with online templates that may not even be specific to the state of California’s laws.
- Make sure you include your health wishes – An advance health care directive is a crucial part of an estate plan. You need to select an agent to speak for you if you cannot speak for yourself and make your wishes (especially end of life decisions) clearly known in writing.
- Review your documents every year – Even once you have your estate plan, you should be reviewing it each year to be sure that it reflects your current wishes.
Experienced Estate Planning Attorneys in San Diego
The Petrov Law Firm is helping families from North County to Chula Vista plan for the future. If you want to prepare a new estate plan or if you want to update an existing estate plan, call 619.344.0360 today. Remember that laws regarding inheritance and advance directives vary from state to state, so if you have moved to California with an existing estate plan, now is the time to update it for local regulations.Read More
People say that the only things certain in life are death and taxes. How can you be sure that after your death, your beneficiaries do not have to pay much of your estate in taxes? Fortunately, a large amount is automatically exempt from taxes. If your estate is even bigger, and you don’t mind parting with some of the funds now, you can also make large gifts that are tax exempt. Here are the current federal limits.
- Estate tax exemption – Currently, the estate tax exemption limit is $11.58 million. For most estates, that means the entire sum will be tax-free for your beneficiaries. But what if you have a larger estate and want to share some of the inheritance while you are still alive?
- Annual gift exclusion – You can gift someone $15,000 with the person not having to pay federal income tax on it. This can allow you to dispense quite a large estate over time without tax implications. For example, if you and your spouse each write a check to your child and their spouse, you can actually give $60,000 per year to a couple. In this way, you can get the estate down under the tax exemption limit while you are still alive.
Smart Ways to Pass on an Inheritance in Southern California
San Diego’s estate planning experts are at Petrov Law Firm. To learn more about how to distribute your estate wisely, call 619.344.0360, and speak with one of our attorneys.Read More
A slip and fall injury can take place at any time when there is a hazard or negligence involved. What are the most common injuries a person will sustain in this type of accident, and how do the injuries occur?
- Hand and arm injuries – From scrapped palms to a fractured wrist, the hands and arms are locations for some of the most common slip and fall injuries. It is only natural to put your hands out to catch yourself if you suddenly fall, and this can prevent even more serious injuries. Unfortunately, setting a bone isn’t cheaper just because it is in the hand or arm.
- Injured knees – A slight trip may just result in falling down on one or both knees. However, this can still do a lot of damage. While the exterior results may be no more than a skinned knee, on the inside, there may be damage to bones, cartilage, or even connective tissue like ligaments and tendons.
- Facial injuries – The worst injuries often occur when a fall happens out of the blue, and the person can’t get their hands out in front of them in time. Face injuries may include a broken nose, lost or chipped teeth, broken bones, and other damage.
Southern California’s Slip and Fall Injury Experts
Petrov Law Firm is here to help if you have been injured in this way. Get in touch with our experienced personal injury attorneys today by calling 619.344.0360 to start working on a settlement right away.Read More
In one recent year, 391,000 motor vehicle accidents occurred due to distracted driving. This resulted in a tremendous number of injuries, and 3,450 individuals wrongfully lost their lives. So why do people keep using their phones while driving? Consider the following stats from the same year that reveal just how serious the problem is:
- The results showed that people were more likely to use a phone while driving in rural areas. Perhaps the perception is that fewer cars on the road make it safer to drive while distracted. This is particularly concerning right now. People may be tempted to use their phone more since road traffic is down due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- According to the study, more than 2% of drivers have been caught breaking rules that restrict the use of smartphones while driving to handsfree methods. If 2% are caught, how many more are getting away with it?
- The research also showed that younger drivers are more likely to break the rules, especially those between the ages of 18 and 24.
- The safest group of drivers are parents who have children under the age of nine. Unfortunately, those kids are only as safe as the other drivers on the road allow them to be.
Distracted Driving and Fault in California
California is a fault state as far as damages from a car accident is concerned. If you have been injured in an accident with a distracted driver, you deserve compensation from the other driver’s insurance. Contact Petrov Law Firm today at 619.344.0360 to get started on your settlement right away.Read More