If you believe you have been a victim of medical malpractice, these are some of the things that you need to know:
- You can receive compensation for damages – If you were able to heal with no losses despite negligence, there is really no basis for a malpractice case. However, if you lost wages, the ability to work, or suffered other physical or emotional damages, you may be due compensation.
- You can only file a claim against your doctor – If you seek a second opinion, that is one thing, but if your doctor gets a second opinion to back up his wrong decisions, you can’t sue both doctors.
- Mistakes must have caused damages – It may not be your fault that you are sick, but it is not the doctor’s fault either. Damages caused by the illness wouldn’t be compensated for unless, for example, they were preventable if a simple diagnosis had not been missed.
- Your doctor only has to provide a minimum standard of care – This is why it is vital to choose the right doctor. If minimum standards are met, you can’t sue your doctor for not going above and beyond.
Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego
The personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help you to determine if you have a case and can help you to pursue the best outcome as far as receiving compensation is concerned. To learn more, speak with an expert today by calling 619.344.0360.Read More
Any time you go for a run, you have to consider how to remain safe when there are so many drivers on the road who are not paying as much attention as they should be. Here are four tips to help you optimize your safety.
- Look at drivers – Making eye contact is the best way to ensure that a driver sees you. In most cases, a driver will gesture to let you know he or she intends to wait for you to cross. Jog in place at the corner until you are sure it is safe.
- Run on safe roads – A back road with no sidewalks is going to be a dangerous place to run, especially if the weather conditions are not good for visibility.
- Pay attention to road conditions – Bad weather and darkness can affect a driver’s ability to see you or to stop in time if they don’t notice you until the last minute. Use extra caution and wear appropriate clothing that makes you more visible.
- Stay alert – As a runner, you need always to be thinking about your own safety. An accident may be a driver’s fault, but that won’t help you survive a crash. So make sure you are not the one who becomes distracted, perhaps by a mobile device.
San Diego’s Personal Injury Attorneys
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help if you are ever hurt in an accident. We hope you are able to enjoy your routine of running, but if an injury does occur due to a driver, call 619.344.0360 to get the help you need.Read More
If you have been named the executor of someone’s last will and testament in the state of California, then you have a weighty responsibility to carry out. Here are three tips to help you succeed.
- Communicate well – You are going to have to spend a lot of time on the phone negotiating the estate’s taxes, debts, and creditors. You also need to stay in constant communication with the court and with the beneficiaries.
- Stay organized – There is a lot to do as an executor, so being organized is a necessity. Be sure to keep track for the decedent’s wishes as well as important documents while you are working out the details for the heirs.
- Get help from an estate attorney – Estate planning attorneys have experience both helping people plan for their estate as well as helping executors to carry out the task that has been placed upon them. While you may worry about spending some of the estate on legal counsel, it’s far better than making a mistake that could cost the beneficiaries a large sum or tie up the money for months or even years.
Estate Planning Lawyers in San Diego
For the best estate planning lawyers in San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista, residents turn to Petrov Law Firm. We’re here to help you whether you are planning for your own future or carrying out the wishes that you have been entrusted with. Contact us today by calling 619-344-0360 and schedule an appointment at one of our three convenient locations.Read More
Estate planning is crucial, so we want to commend you if you have already taken this important step toward providing for your family in the future. However, it is important to remember that you need to review your plan from time to time to make sure it still outlines your wishes. Here are a few times to go over your estate to make sure everything is still the way you want it.
- It’s been a long time – Never let more than five years go by without looking at your estate plan. Every three years is even better. Sometimes your wishes may change, or you may need to make some adjustments due to changes in state or federal laws.
- You’ve experienced a major life event – A few examples would include a new member of the family, a divorce, death of a beneficiary or successor trustee, and anything like these. You need to make sure your estate plan accounts for the people that are moving in or out of your life.
- Your financial situation has dramatically changed – Whether you have a lot more money all of a sudden or significantly less, it is time to go over your estate plan to make sure you are distributing your assets in the best way possible.
San Diego’s Source for Updated Estate Plans
Another major reason to check your estate plan is when you move to a new state. Petrov Law Firm has the California estate planning attorneys you can trust to help you update your future planning documents. Call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
Receiving proper medical care is of the utmost importance when you have been in some kind of accident. However, at some point, you need to start thinking about how you will pay the medical bills that come in, especially if you were cared for at a facility that isn’t in your insurance network. What should you know?
- If someone else was at fault for your accident or injury, you are entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills.
- You don’t have to see an in-network doctor to receive compensation for your medical bills. In fact, you don’t even have to use your medical insurance.
- You do have to either agree to a settlement or win a suit to receive any compensation.
- Medical bills are not the only losses that occur in an accident. You may also be able to receive compensation for lost wages and pain and suffering caused by the injury.
- Don’t sign anything until you speak with a lawyer. Insurance companies want to pay out as little as possible. They figure you will take less to avoid waiting for the money. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you to maximize your settlement.
Southern California’s Reliable Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in the San Diego area, the trustworthy lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have the experience you want in your corner when dealing with an insurance company after an injury. Contact us today at 619-344-0360 to learn more.Read More
If you live and drive in California, you need to know the smartphone driving laws so that you remain safe and don’t end up with a fine. However, many people misunderstand the rules. Here are a few common misconceptions.
- All drivers can make hands-free calls in California – For most drivers, this is the case. However, if you are under 18, you can’t use your phone at all. The best idea is to keep it turned off or in “do not disturb” mode while you drive, so you are not tempted to break the law.
- You can pick up your phone at a red light – Maybe you got this idea because you see people do it all the time, but it is definitely illegal. You can’t pick up your phone for any reason while driving, and that includes while idling at a red light. Also, breaking this rule is particularly annoying since it causes people to miss the light change and affects traffic (besides being a safety issue).
- You can’t touch your phone at all while driving – Actually, this one is not true as well. If the action you wish to take requires one tap or swipe, you can do it. Just don’t pick the phone up or let it distract you so much that you get into an accident.
San Diego Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in an accident, especially if the driver was distracted, the San Diego car accident lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. Call today at 619-344-0360 to get your case started.Read More
Most people don’t think about how long they may spend in assisted living or a nursing home before they pass away. However, if you are planning on leaving an estate to your heirs, you need to think about these things. Here are three reasons that you need to think about long-term care when you plan for the future of your family.
- It’s really expensive – Most assisted living or rest home facilities are going to cost your estate upwards of $40,000 per year, and some may be in the six figures range depending on the services you want access to.
- Your insurance won’t cover it – Things like Medicare don’t cover long-term care. Even most private insurance doesn’t cover this type of care. There are lifecare plans, but they are also expensive, so you need to be sure you don’t go through your savings paying in advance for long-term care you may not even need.
- You may be surprised by how many people require care – 40% of people are going to end up in some sort of care facility, even if it is not for very long. A mere year or two can be costly. If you are in the 10% who spend upwards of three years in a nursing home, that can eliminate the life savings of many people.
Planning Ahead for Long-Term Care in San Diego
Let Petrov Law Firm help you to plan your estate so that it goes to your family and not a long-term care facility. Call us today at 619.344.0360 to learn how we can help.Read More
Probate court definitely has its place, especially when a person passes away with no last will and testament or when there are conflicts among a person’s heirs. However, if you are planning to leave your estate to your loved ones, there are a few reasons to try and keep your assets out of probate court.
- It’s public record – Do you really want just anyone to be able to look up what your family received? It could potentially make them a target for scams, so it is better to keep these matters private.
- It can drain funds – You intend your savings to go to your family, but if probate court becomes drawn out, much of the inheritance could end up paying legal fees.
- It delays your beneficiaries from receiving their inheritance – Until the court works out what needs to go for taxes and other liabilities against the estate and who should receive the rest, the assets are effectively tied up and unusable. While probate court usually handles matters within a few months, there have been cases that drag on for a year or even several years while heirs have no access to the dwindling funds.
California Estate Planning Attorneys
If you want your loved ones to get as much of your estate as possible as quickly as possible after you pass on, the estate planning attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. Call 619.344.0360 today and schedule a consultation at one of our three convenient locations in southern California to learn more.Read More
If you are looking for a safe way to provide financially for your family, there may be a few jobs that you want to avoid due to the high-risk. If you’ve already been injured in one of these or other jobs, then you may need assistance to get the compensation you deserve. Let’s look at California’s most dangerous jobs, and then we will tell you where to turn if you do suffer an injury.
- Assembling wooden products – Woodworking results in the use of a lot of high-powered tools. You need proper training, safety guidelines, and equipment that is well-maintained if you are going to avoid injury.
- Animal handlers – From raising animals to taking care of sick animals, one of the most dangerous jobs in the state is working with animals. Especially when sick or injured, the behavior of animals can be unpredictable.
- Courier – From private messengers to delivery services, it can be easy to suffer an injury when you are always around new locations, dogs you don’t know, and have to deal with adversarial situations.
- Working with the elderly – Home care workers and nursing home staff are actually at the highest risk for injury among California’s workforce.
If You Have Been Injured in a Work-Related Accident
If you have been injured on the job, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm in San Diego. We can help you to understand how compensation works and whether your case qualifies. Call 619.344.0360 to get started now.Read More
One of the most sensitive situations we work with at Petrov Law Firm is wrongful death cases. If you have lost a loved one in a tragic accident, we want to offer our condolences to you. We also want to let you know that if the death resulted from one of the following accident types, we may be able to help surviving family members receive financial compensation for your loss.
- Car accidents – If the other driver is to blame, you may be able to file for a wrongful death suit.
- Industrial accidents – Whether the death was caused by unsafe working conditions or a lack of proper training, you may be able to receive compensation.
- Product defects – If there was a known defect with a product that was sold or if the instructions for the product failed to explain safe usage, this may lead to a wrongful death case.
- Medical malpractice – From incorrect dispensation of medication to missing an obvious diagnosis, there are plenty of ways that your loss can be directly linked to malpractice on the part of a healthcare professional.
Compassionate Assistance for Grieving Families in Southern California
Of course, there could also be other situations where a company or individual is at fault in a fatality due to negligence or other reasons. Therefore, the best thing to do is to speak to a professional attorney who is experienced with wrongful death cases. To go over your situation with one of the compassionate lawyers at Petrov Law Firm, call 619.344.0360 today.Read More