California drivers need to watch out for distractions. Not only can they lead to dangerous accidents, but even if you manage to avoid an accident while driving distracted, you could still get a ticket if you are breaking the law. For example, California has a number of regulations regarding smartphone use while driving. Here are some tips to help you avoid smartphone distractions while you are behind the wheel.
- Turn it off/silence your phone – If you don’t know messages or calls are coming in, you won’t be tempted to look at your phone until you reach your destination.
- Have your passenger navigate – If you need to use GPS, make sure you have the volume up so you don’t have to look at the phone. If you have a passenger, let them be the navigator.
- Use hands-free or Bluetooth – If you are 18 and over, you can still make calls in a hands-free manner. If your car has Bluetooth, this feature can allow you to reduce distraction and obey the law. If you are under 18, you can’t use a smartphone for any reason while driving, even hands-free, so don’t even bother connecting your phone to the car’s Bluetooth. Refer to the first suggestion on our list.
Car Accident Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been in an automobile accident, especially if the other driver was distracted, you may be able to receive compensation for your medical bills and other losses. Contact Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to get in touch with an experienced personal injury attorney today.Read More
You have been injured in an accident due to someone else’s fault or negligence. Now you see medical bills adding up. This can ruin you financially. What can you do about it? Here are some tips to help you seek the compensation that you deserve for your losses.
- Keep track of all medical bills related to the incident. If someone else was at fault, you might be able to receive compensation through their insurance.
- Don’t sign anything without a lawyer. You may be taking a settlement that won’t even cover your basic expenses. A personal injury attorney can help you understand what you actually deserve.
- Medical bills are not your only loss, so don’t settle for the exact amount of your healthcare costs alone. You may have missed time from work, experienced material loss, or endured additional pain and suffering that you should be compensated for.
- Remember that you can see any doctor you want. You don’t have to stick to in-network doctors to receive compensation. Get the best care you can.
- Be prepared to go to court. While the best option is to seek a settlement, some insurance companies can be unreasonable. In such situations, you may need to go to court to get the compensation you truly deserve. Fortunately, most insurance companies are reasonable once they see you have taken the step of hiring an attorney.
Trustworthy Personal Injury Lawyers in San Diego
To get your case started today, call 619.344.0360 and speak with a personal injury lawyer at Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to know the next step to take to receive the reimbursement you need and deserve.Read More
If all you have is a last will and testament (or worse – nothing at all), then when you pass on, your estate will have to go through probate court. Of course, probate is there for a reason. It’s not all bad. However, there are some excellent reasons to try and pass as much as possible to your heirs without this provision. Here are a few reasons:
- It can affect how much your beneficiaries receive – Probate court isn’t free. The longer the money stays tied up, the more court costs will consume, leaving less for your loved ones.
- It is a matter of public record – Sadly, we have to worry about scams and thieves. That is the world we live in today. If it is on public record what you left to your family members, it could result in criminals targeting your heirs.
- It can result in delayed receipt of assets – Your beneficiaries may not even receive their inheritance for months or years after you pass away. This is especially true if there is no will or if the will was poorly written, and it ends up contested in court.
Estate Planning Attorneys in San Diego
You can keep much of your estate out of probate court by having your estate planning handled professionally. Call the experienced attorneys of Petrov Law Firm today at 619.344.0360 to learn more. Whether you need to start your estate plan from scratch or update an existing plan, we’re here to help residents of southern California.Read More
Long-term care relates to the medical attention you may require in the final years of your life. While this is something we don’t often think about (mostly because we don’t want to), it can be something that seriously affects the estate that you leave to your family. Here are three reasons to be sure that long-term care is factored into your estate planning.
- You may be more likely to need care than you think – In fact, about 40% of Americans end up in a care facility at the end of their life. 1 in 10 people spends three years or more in a nursing home.
- Long-term care is expensive – Depending on the facility you end up in, long-term care can cost anywhere from $40,000 per year up to well into the six-figure range. For most people, that can go through an estate pretty quickly.
- Insurance doesn’t cover long-term care – Medicare doesn’t cover an expense like this. If you do have coverage for long-term care, you may be paying out just as much in premiums as you eventually would have in care. In order to leave something for your family, you have to find a better way to plan ahead.
Long-Term Care as a Part of Your Estate Planning
If you live in the San Diego area, contact the estate planning attorneys at Petrov Law Firm by calling 619.344.0360 today. We can help you to develop an estate plan that leaves your assets to your family rather than to a long-term care facility.Read More
One of the worst tragedies a family can face is when a loved one’s life is suddenly ended in an avoidable accident. If your family is experiencing such an injustice, we want to express our sympathies. Please, know that you are not alone and that your family may be able to receive compensation for your loss. Just a few of the ways that wrongful deaths occur include:
- Medical malpractice – Doctors and medical facilities must meet a minimum standard of care for patients.
- Defective products – Products must include instructions for safe use and must be recalled if the manufacturer learns of a danger to consumers.
- Workplace accidents – Workplace deaths can be avoided by proper training and safety equipment. However, not all employers provide these necessary things.
- Motor vehicle accident – Lives are ended every day by drivers who are involved in unsafe practices such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or by driving while distracted due to mobile devices and other factors.
While money cannot heal the wounds your family is dealing with, proper compensation can help you to cope with the financial loss. Gaining justice can also begin the healing of emotional wounds, knowing that the court system recognizes that your family was wronged by what happed.
Compassionate Wrongful Death Suit Assistance in San Diego
Don’t allow grief to result in your family being cheated by a low settlement. Before you sign anything, call Petrov Law Firm at 619.344.0360 to speak with a compassionate and experienced attorney to help you maximize any compensation that your family may be due.Read More
One of the places that personal injuries are likely to occur is in the workplace. If you did not receive the proper training or safety equipment from your company, they might need to compensate you for losses, including your medical bills and missed work. What are some of the jobs that lead to the most injury claims in California?
- Animal handling – Whether you work for a vet or walk the dogs of other people, you need to use extra caution because these are some of the highest risk jobs in the state.
- Private courier – From watchdogs to people receiving documents they are not happy about, being a private courier can come with its challenges.
- Wooden item assembly – Using power tools without the proper instruction or safety equipment can be extremely dangerous. Assembling wooden items comes with much greater risks than getting a splinter.
- Caregiving for the elderly – Whether it is in a nursing home or a private residence, caring for older ones can lead to many dangerous situations. In fact, caregivers are at a higher risk for on the job injury than any other part of the workforce in California.
Workplace Accidents and Compensation in California
If you have experienced an injury at one of these or any other type of job in southern California, then contact the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We have the experience that you want on your side and when trying to reach a settlement regarding employment injuries. Call 619.344.0360 to speak with an experienced lawyer today.Read More
Estate planning is a necessity, but it can also be something we have a tendency to put off. Whether it is a lack of interest in thinking about mortality or you just don’t know where to begin, procrastination can set in. However, you don’t want your family to suffer due to a lack of planning, so here are a few tips for estate planning the right way.
- Hire an estate planning attorney – If you don’t have a huge estate, you may think of this as a waste of money. However, hiring an attorney can help you to maximize the benefits for your family. That’s worth a small fee because your family may lose out on even more of their inheritance in probate court without the right documents in order.
- Don’t just think about material assets – What happens if you get sick and become incapacitated? Have you made plans for your future medical wishes and care? If you have minor children, you need to think about what will happen to them if you and your spouse were to pass away simultaneously.
- Start today – Don’t put it off any longer. If you don’t know where to begin, make calling a trustworthy attorney your first step.
San Diego’s Estate Planning Attorneys
Petrov Law Firm can help you to plan ahead without the hassle. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 and schedule a consultation so we can learn about your unique circumstances and help you to plan your estate in a way that meets your personal needs.Read More
If you are a successor trustee, you may feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. You need to carry out the assignment you have been entrusted with in a conscientious way. How can ensure that the beneficiaries of the trust receive what they deserve and are treated fairly? Here are a few tips.
- Hire an accountant – The trustor wouldn’t have chosen you for this job if you weren’t honest. However, if you are not an accountant, you could still make a mistake that costs the family money. Therefore, the smart thing to do is to use a small portion of the trust fund to hire someone to help out on the financial side.
- Just do your job – As a successor trustee, you really just have one job – carry out the wishes of the trustor. Stick to the instructions you have been provided. When in doubt, think about what the person who trusted you with this assignment would have wanted. This isn’t the time to go rogue.
- Be happy for the beneficiaries – Hopefully, the trustor left you something in compensation for your role. If not, or if the task becomes arduous and drawn out, don’t give in to envy. This can result in bad decisions.
Estate Planning Help in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm has the expert attorneys that you want on your side when estate planning. Give us a call today at 619.344.0360 to get started on your plan or to update an existing one.Read More
The weather in southern California is great for pedestrians just about any time of year. Unfortunately, drivers can make going for a walk an extremely dangerous activity. As a pedestrian, you need to be your own advocate and keep yourself safe. Here are a few tips:
- Always look both ways when crossing – You learned this in school. You heard it from your parents. It is still the number one safety tip for walking. Don’t assume drivers are looking for you. You have to look for them.
- Use a crosswalk when available – Sometimes, in rural areas, you may not have his option, but in a city, you always have to use the crosswalk. Drivers are more likely to be looking out for pedestrians when they cross at designated areas. Plus, it will help your case if you are injured in an accident.
- Avoid distractions while walking – Just like drivers get into trouble when they are looking at a phone while in motion, pedestrians can have the same problem. There are no laws about texting and walking, but you better believe an insurance company is going to bring it up if you try and sue their client for hitting you.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident as a pedestrian, then you need the help of qualified personal injury attorneys to get what you deserve from the insurance company. Call 619.344.0360 and speak with an experienced lawyer from Petrov Law Firm today.Read More
The CDC has estimated that about 6,000 fatal accidents occur each year due to drowsy drivers. This is a huge increase from a 2013 report that stated 800 deaths and 44,000 injuries occurred in that one year alone. Up to 3% of all motor vehicle accidents may involve a driver who is too tired to be behind the wheel. Consider the following reasons to pull over and take a nap if you are sleepy.
- Lack of sleep affects attention span – While drowsy driving makes up a small percentage of accidents, distracted driving leads to far more. If you are tired, you are more likely to let yourself get distracted in an effort to remain alert.
- Diminished cognitive ability – You just can’t make good decisions when you are beginning to fall asleep. Therefore, you may pull in front of a car that is driving to fast or is too close, or in other ways make a disastrous driving decision.
- Reduced reaction time – Being sleepy slows your reaction time, just like driving intoxicated would. If you don’t hit your breaks, swerve, or speed up in time, you may end up having an accident that an awake and alert driver could have avoided.
San Diego’s Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in a car accident, especially if the other driver was drowsy, distracted, or otherwise at fault, Petrov Law Firm can help. Our experienced attorneys are ready to fight to help you get the settlement you deserve. Call 619.344.0360 to get started.Read More