5 Ways to Stay Safe While Riding Your Bicycle
Recent studies have revealed that many car accidents involving bicycles are head-on collisions. Since this is the type of bike accident that results in the greatest risk of injury, it is vital to protect yourself if you choose to use your bicycle in high traffic areas. Here are 5 tips to help you stay safe.
- Ride on the right side of the road. When walking, you should always go toward traffic to be more visible, but when riding, you always want to go in the same direction as traffic to reduce the risk of a head-on collision.
- Stay to the right except to pass. If there is a bike lane, be sure to use that lane.
- Don’t get too close to parked vehicles. Someone may not see you riding by and open the door suddenly.
- Always signal when turning. Hand signals are an important part of riding your bike on the street.
- Use the right bike and keep it maintained. If your bike is either too big or too small for you, your ability to control it will be compromised. Also, you want to be sure that things like brakes and tires are in top condition before you head out into high traffic areas.
If You Have Been Injured in a Cycling Accident
Despite your best efforts to ride defensively, accidents can still happen. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, a car insurance company will likely try to settle for the least amount possible. Petrov Law Firm can help you to seek the full compensation you deserve. To learn more, call 619-344-0360 today.