Walk Safely California: Top Pedestrian Tips
Whether you walk to the office or are just out for some exercise, walking is a great way to get around San Diego and much of southern California. However, there are also dangers due to distracted drivers who may not notice you, especially at night. Here are a few tips for pedestrian safety.
- Don’t walk under the influence. Drinking and walking can be just as dangerous as drinking and driving (at least for you). Call an Uber or a cab if you’ve had too many rather than trying to walk it off.
- Don’t use your phone while walking. If you need directions, use the voice feature rather than staring at the screen. You need to pay attention to your surroundings when walking to avoid potential dangers.
- Always use the crosswalk. Not only is J-walking illegal, but it is also dangerous because drivers won’t be expecting you to step out into the road.
- Wear bright colors during the day and something reflective at night. While you never want to assume that a driver sees you, you still want to do everything you can to increase visibility.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Even if you have the light, it is always a good idea to look before you cross. Too many distracted drivers run red lights and do other things you wouldn’t expect, so you can’t presume on having the right of way.
Personal Injury Attorneys for California Pedestrians
Have you suffered an injury as a pedestrian? Petrov Law Firm has the experienced and compassionate personal injury attorneys to help you maximize a settlement in California. Give us a call today at 619- 344-0360 to get started on your case.