If you have fallen in a store or in a public place and suffered an injury, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical expenses or missed work. However, there are a few things that you need to know. Here are two key factors to keep in mind if you are seeking a slip and fall settlement in California.
- The statute of limitations is two years – This means you should be seeking an attorney pretty much immediately after you receive any necessary medical care. As it gets closer to the two-year mark, insurance companies won’t want to pay out as much because they figure they might be able to delay things until you end up getting nothing.
- Don’t sign anything until you have a lawyer – An insurance company may offer a payout to get you to sign something that waives your right to any future compensation. You only get one chance to get a settlement, so it has to cover all of your current and expected future medical expenses as well as any lost wages or future lost wages. Yes, a lawyer gets a cut, be he or she can also get you a much larger settlement.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Southern California, Petrov Law Firm has the experienced lawyers to help you. Operating out of San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista, we provide convenient locations to our clients and can help to maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 today to learn more.Read More
This is an important question to answer because you need to know if you are going to be responsible for your medical bills and any work you may miss or if you are eligible to receive some compensation to help you out financially while recovering from your injury. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Your safety is your own responsibility – That having been said, the store owner does have to provide reasonable care. The difference in opinion may be over what is considered reasonable.
- You need proof – Take photographic evidence at the scene, even if you aren’t sure anything will come from your injuries. If the store has injury report paperwork to fill out, do so. Get checked out by a doctor so you have a medical record of your injuries.
- Time usually has to pass to prove negligence – If the person walking in front of you drops a soda and you slip on it, that isn’t the store’s fault. If someone spilled a soda an hour ago and no one has bothered to clean it up, that makes a better case for you.
Get Legal Advice for Your Slip and Fall Injury Case
Before you sign any sort of settlement, be sure to contact Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. The insurance company is going to want to pay as little as possible. Having an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side is the only way to ensure that you get the full compensation you deserve. Schedule a consultation today.Read More
Not all causes of personal injury are actionable, but there may be times when you can seek compensation for your losses. Here are 5 of the more common reasons for personal injury suits in California.
- Slip and fall accidents – In order for you to be able to make a claim, you have to prove that the injury was the fault of the property owner. This means that the owner was negligent in caring for the circumstances that led to your slip and fall.
- Motor vehicle accidents – California is a fault state, so the amount of compensation will depend on whether or not you share some blame for the accident.
- Defective products – If you are injured while using a product properly, you may be able to receive compensation for damages, especially if the manufacturer should have known about the defect.
- Workplace injuries – Whether you perform manual labor or work in an office, accidents can happen. Unsafe work conditions can lead to a personal injury suit.
- Assault – Any time another human injures you on purpose, the results can be jail time for the assailant as well as compensation for the injury caused to you.
San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys You Can Rely On
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned above or in any other way where another person or business was responsible, contact Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. Our personal injury attorneys are here to help you receive the compensation you deserve.Read More
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, the first thing on your mind is probably receiving the proper medical attention. That is the right priority. Is there anything else you should think about while you are waiting for medical services to arrive? Here are a couple of reminders.
- If you can, take pictures of the conditions that led to the injury. Was the floor wet? Was the wet floor sign placed in a way that obscured its view from the direction you were walking? Was there some old carpet that had become bunched up? Was there some broken walkway in need of repairs?
- Report the injury and how it occurred to the owner of the location (or a manager on duty). Also, you should report how the injury occurred to the medical professional who treats your injuries so that there is a record of how it happened. Finally, be sure to report the facts to a California personal injury attorney so you can attempt to get compensation for your medical bills and any other losses you may suffer as a result of the injury.
The Personal Injury Attorneys You Can Trust in San Diego
Petrov Law Firm is your source for representation in personal injury cases in southern California. We have the experienced attorneys you need when you are recovering from an injury, are burdened with medical bills, and may have missed work due to the injury. Call 619-344-0360 today in order to schedule a consultation.Read More
When someone is injured, you may wonder who should be held responsible for the medical bills and other losses the injured person may have experienced. Let’s see how this question applies to some of the more common ways in which individuals are injured in Southern California.
- Car Accidents – Automotive accident injuries are extremely common and often lead to major medical expenses. However, California is a fault state, so liability is determined by the percent of fault the various parties share.
- Slip and Fall Injuries – Whether you slip on wet tile or trip over a run in the carpet, what needs to be determined is whether the property owner caused the issue, knew about the issue, and had enough time to respond to the issue.
- Dog Attacks – Dog bites are probably more common than you think. Children are the most likely to be bitten, so it is vital to monitor the interactions between children and animals. If a dog bite occurs, the owner may be culpable depending on the circumstances.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have been injured in any of the ways mentioned in this article, the personal injury lawyers at Petrov Law Firm can help. We have experience in helping the victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and dog bites receive a proper settlement. To learn more, schedule a consultation with our conveniently located San Diego and Chula Vista offices today. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started.Read More
Slip and fall accidents happen all the time, but not every case leads to a settlement. If you want to seek compensation for your losses, including medical bills, then there are a few things that you have to be able to prove. Here are the three proofs you need to ensure the property owner will have to pay out.
- The owner or someone in his or her employ created the dangerous condition that led to the fall. This is the first requirement because you can’t hold the owner responsible for something that was your fault. If you spill a soda and then slip on the ice, you can’t hold someone else accountable for that.
- The owner or someone in his or her employ was aware the situation existed and didn’t do anything to correct it. Now let’s take things one step further. Let’s say someone else spills a drink right in front of you and you slip on it. That’s still not the owner’s fault. There was no time to discover the danger and correct it. However, if an employee saw the spill, went to get a mop, got distracted, and just left it there for a few minutes, now there was clearly time for someone to do something about it.
- The owner or someone is his or her in employ should have known about the dangers. What if there was uneven pavement on the front walkway of a building? It could have been there for years. There is no way the owner can say that he or she didn’t know about the problem, even if they only come to the property occasionally.
Getting Justice When You Suffer a Slip and Fall Injury in Southern California
Even if the company’s liability insurance is going to cover the claim, they will still want to get away with settling for as little as possible. Before you sign anything, call the personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm in San Diego. We can help you to maximize your settlement. Schedule a consultation by calling 619-344-0360 today.Read More
When a person suffers a slip and fall injury, a settlement usually takes place. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before signing a settlement agreement and before rejecting one. Here are two important things to remember.
- You only get one shot. Once you sign the settlement agreement, it will protect the defendant from further lawsuits. So to be sure you are getting the full compensation you deserve, you should seek the assistance of a personal injury attorney before signing anything. Many people try to reach a settlement themselves to avoid paying out a cut to an attorney, but the amount they get shortchanged would have more than paid the legal fees.
- You only have two years to file suit in a slip and fall case in California. That means you need to hire an attorney right away in case things do go to court. Once those two years are up, all settlements will be off the table because opposing counsel will know that you can no longer sue, no matter how serious your injuries were.
The Help You Need for a Slip and Fall Accident in Southern California
If you have suffered a slip and fall injury in the Chula Vista or San Diego areas, contact Petrov Law Firm today at 619-344-0360. Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you to maximize your settlement and keep you from missing out on receiving compensation due to allowing the statue of limitations to lapse.Read More
Sometimes a client calls to let us know they would like to open a suit since they fell in a store. While the store owner may be at fault for the injury and the client may be due compensation, this is not always the case. There are certain factors that we will go over with the client to help you understand how personal injury suits work. Here are a few things you need to know:
- The store owner is not responsible for your safety. They are only required by law to provide reasonable care. In other words, an injury in a store is not automatically the owner’s fault.
- Negligence can be proven if the store was not properly inspected a reasonable amount of time before the injury took place. Here’s an example. Let’s say someone breaks a pickle jar in a grocery store. Three minutes later, you slip on the pickling liquid and fall. It’s not really reasonable to expect the store to notice the spill and clean it that quickly. But if it sat there for three hours, you have a much better case for negligence.
- You need facts, not guesses. If you slipped but are not sure what you slipped on, it will be tough to prove it was the store’s fault. They may be able to claim you fell on your own. If you slipped on soapy mop water or tripped over a part of the rug that was frayed, now you know exactly what led to the fall, and it can be traced back to the store.
Help for Your Slip and Fall Accident Case in California
As you can see, it is important to have experienced personal injury attorneys in your corner when you are dealing with a slip and fall case in California. The experienced lawyers at Petrov Law Firm will be happy to help you see if you have a case and to assist you to maximize your settlement. To learn more, call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
If you have been injured in the state of California, you may be due certain forms of compensation. For example, you may be able to recover medical bills that incurred due to the injury. You may even be able to get compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, and to cover other damages.
But you have to act promptly. Why? California has statute of limitations laws that protect the offending party if you allow too much time to pass between the injury and the claim. Here are a few things you need to know.
Statute of Limitations by Claim Type
The type of claim dictates how quickly you have to build your case. Here are three examples:
- When a government agency is involved – If you have a claim against a government agency (you have a slip and fall accident in a government building, for example), you only have 6 months to make your claim.
- Personal injury – If you were in a car accident or suffered a personal injury in another way, you get two full years to make a claim. However, you still need to start building your case right from day one by seeking medical attention and then finding a lawyer to represent you.
- Property damage – Property damage claims have a three-year statute of limitations.
Filing Your Personal Injury Claim in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in the state of California, now is the time to act. Petrov Law Firm has personal injury attorneys that service Southern California from our San Diego and Chula Vista locations. To learn more, call us today at 619-344-0360.Read More
Some jobs are just more dangerous than others. However, you may be surprised to find out which career fields see the most claims. We’re going to take a look at five jobs that may not seem that dangerous at first glance but that result in a high percentage of claims according to California’s Department of Labor.
- Animal workers – Animals can be unpredictable. So whether your job is to feed, raise, or slaughter animals, you’re in one of the riskiest businesses in California.
- Messengers – Between UPS, FedEx, and the US postal office, there isn’t a huge private courier service population. But if you are the rare independent messenger, be careful. Injury rates are over 6%.
- Woodworking – If you work in manufacturing and deal with wood product assembly, you’re actually in the most dangerous manufacturing field.
- Air transport – Passengers may be far safer in the air than on land, but pilots, aircraft mechanics, and workers who transfer freight are all at high risk.
- Nursing and home care – This is the number one most dangerous job in California based on the sheer rate of injuries. And if you thought you were in danger working in the private sector, government employees face nearly double the risk of any other career in the state.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Southern California
If you have suffered a personal injury in or near the San Diego area, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are here to help. Just call 619-344-0360 to get started on your case today.Read More