Car accidents can be the cause of serious injuries and even death. That is why it is particularly important to drive safely when there are dangerous road conditions. Here are several situations that call for extra caution on the part of a conscientious driver.
- Bad weather – Rain, snow, or ice can make roads extremely dangerous. Be sure to leave extra room between you and the car in front of you in any of these hazardous conditions.
- Nighttime – Driving at night can be particularly dangerous. Be sure to switch to your low beams when there are cars coming in the other direction and watch out for cyclists and pedestrians who may have forgotten to wear something reflective.
- Road work – Be sure to obey the traffic signs in construction areas. They are for the safety of both drivers and workers. Road work particularly requires caution when it is being performed at night.
- Road hazards – From potholes to debris in the road, there are plenty of obstructions that can damage your car. If you can’t swerve, slow down as much as you can. For potholes, your tires will absorb the hit the best if you are going straight ahead. The side walls of your tires are not as sturdy.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys in San Diego
If you have been injured in a car accident in the San Diego Area, call the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. We can help you to receive the settlement you deserve, so call 619-344-0360 without delay.Read More
Whether you ride your bicycle around San Diego or the surrounding neighborhoods, for work, exercise, or fun, you need to use proper caution. Car accidents involving cyclists often result in serious injury to the person riding the bike. Here are a few tips to help keep you safe.
- Always wear a helmet – A helmet can’t guarantee that you will survive an accident with a motor vehicle, but it certainly improves your chances.
- Watch out for cars turning right – This is what puts you at the greatest risk, especially if the driver doesn’t check the bike lane before turning. At stoplights, wait to make sure drivers are not turning rather than trying to get a jumpstart on the light. It is legal to exit the bike lane and move into traffic when approaching a place where a driver may make a righthand turn. This will make you more visible. Once you are through the intersection, return to the bike lane as soon as you safely can.
- Have something reflective on your person and your bike – This will help make you more visible, especially at night but also during the day. For even more visibility, invest in head and taillights for your bike.
Bicycle Accident Injury Attorneys in Southern California
The personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help if you have been injured by a motor vehicle driver. A settlement can help you recover damages from medical bills, missed work, and additional pain and suffering caused by the accident. To learn more, call 619-344-0360 today.Read More
Trip and fall injuries are very common and can easily occur if an unexpected obstacle appears in front of you suddenly and you don’t realize you will have to step higher than normal to clear it. What are some of the more common injuries a person will suffer in this sort of accident?
- Knees – Skinned or scrapped knees can easily occur during a trip. In a more serious fall, you may do structural damage to the knee that could require surgery.
- Hand and wrist fractures – Since the natural inclination is to throw your hands out to stop a fall, this is one of the most common injuries when someone trips. Unfortunately, the bones in the hands and arms may not be strong enough to support your full weight during a fall, and this can result in broken bones that need to be set.
- Facial injuries – If you are unable to catch yourself during a fall, facial injuries can be extensive. This can include damage to the mouth and teeth, nose, or even skull if you land hard enough to sustain a concussion.
What to Do After a Trip and Fall Injury
While waiting for medical attention, it may be a good idea to photograph what caused you to trip, and you can fill out any necessary paperwork at the place the injury occurred. Whether it is uneven pavement, old carpeting, or an item that has been left in a place it doesn’t belong, you may be due compensation for your medical bills and even missed work. Contact Petrov Law Firm today by calling 619-344-0360 to find the personal injury lawyers that San Diego residents can rely on.Read More
If your state isn’t hands-free yet, the laws are probably coming. Mobile device use while driving is resulting in many distracted driver accidents. In California, it is already illegal, and drivers under the age of 18 are not even allowed to use mobile phones in a hands-free manner. Here are some stats that show a shameless disregard for these laws.
- In 2015 approximately 2.2% of drivers were caught driving illegally using a handheld device.
- For the 18-24 age group, that figure is a shocking 4.9%, revealing that younger drivers seem more comfortable breaking this law to use a cell phone while driving.
- The biggest increase in handheld device usage occurred among drivers in rural areas.
- Drivers with children under the age of 8 were the least likely to break the law regarding hand-held devices.
The offenses ranged from making calls to reading and sending texts. In 2015, it was reported that 391,000 accidents occurred due to distraction and risky behaviors like those mentioned here. Distracted drivers were also to blame for 3,450 deaths during that calendar year.
Injuries Due to Distracted Drivers in California
California is a fault state, so the insurance of the distracted driver should be on the hook for medical bills, lost wages, and any pain and suffering that was caused, especially if the result was a wrongful death. The compassionate personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are in your corner to help you get what you deserve from the insurance company that will likely try to settle for as little as possible if you don’t have assistance. To get in touch about your case, please call us today at 619-344-0360 to schedule an appointment at any of our Southern California offices.Read More
If you have fallen in a store or in a public place and suffered an injury, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical expenses or missed work. However, there are a few things that you need to know. Here are two key factors to keep in mind if you are seeking a slip and fall settlement in California.
- The statute of limitations is two years – This means you should be seeking an attorney pretty much immediately after you receive any necessary medical care. As it gets closer to the two-year mark, insurance companies won’t want to pay out as much because they figure they might be able to delay things until you end up getting nothing.
- Don’t sign anything until you have a lawyer – An insurance company may offer a payout to get you to sign something that waives your right to any future compensation. You only get one chance to get a settlement, so it has to cover all of your current and expected future medical expenses as well as any lost wages or future lost wages. Yes, a lawyer gets a cut, be he or she can also get you a much larger settlement.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Southern California
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Southern California, Petrov Law Firm has the experienced lawyers to help you. Operating out of San Diego, North County, and Chula Vista, we provide convenient locations to our clients and can help to maximize your settlement. Call 619-344-0360 today to learn more.Read More
If you live in the state of California, there are laws in place to protect you from distracted drivers. Of course, to get the full benefits of that protection, you need to obey the laws yourself. Here are a few things you should know so that you are never distracted by your phone while in the car.
- Don’t hold your phone while driving. A hands-free law is in effect for drivers who are over the age of 18.
- Never text and drive. It is extremely distracting and illegal. It is not just the typing and sending that is restricted. You should never read a text while driving either. Some phones give you an option to have an automated response while driving so people know not to expect a return message until you arrive at your destination.
- If you are under 18, you are still learning to drive. Therefore, all cell phone use is illegal while driving, even hands-free use. This will allow you to get used to being on the road without any distraction at all.
San Diego Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in a car accident in the San Diego area, especially if the other driver was distracted, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm can help. When an injury occurs in a car accident in the state of California, assigning fault plays a key role in maximizing compensation. To learn more, give us a call today at 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More
This is an important question to answer because you need to know if you are going to be responsible for your medical bills and any work you may miss or if you are eligible to receive some compensation to help you out financially while recovering from your injury. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Your safety is your own responsibility – That having been said, the store owner does have to provide reasonable care. The difference in opinion may be over what is considered reasonable.
- You need proof – Take photographic evidence at the scene, even if you aren’t sure anything will come from your injuries. If the store has injury report paperwork to fill out, do so. Get checked out by a doctor so you have a medical record of your injuries.
- Time usually has to pass to prove negligence – If the person walking in front of you drops a soda and you slip on it, that isn’t the store’s fault. If someone spilled a soda an hour ago and no one has bothered to clean it up, that makes a better case for you.
Get Legal Advice for Your Slip and Fall Injury Case
Before you sign any sort of settlement, be sure to contact Petrov Law Firm at 619-344-0360. The insurance company is going to want to pay as little as possible. Having an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side is the only way to ensure that you get the full compensation you deserve. Schedule a consultation today.Read More
If you have been in a car accident, you may be tempted to assume your injuries are not that bad and there is no reason to go to the doctor. However, there are a few things you should watch out for in the weeks and months following an accident that could indicate an injury occurred.
- Vertigo – Vertigo is a false sensation of movement. Most people say it feels like the room is spinning. This can be an indicator that you are suffering from post-concussion syndrome.
- Headaches or migraines – Another indicator of post-concussion syndrome, this symptom usually means that you suffered either head or neck trauma.
- Brain fog – Confusion, inability to focus, and short-term memory loss are all indicators of head or neck trauma.
- Insomnia – Difficulty sleeping can indicate post-concussion syndrome, although it may also be linked to post-traumatic stress, especially if you are also having nightmares about the accident.
- Irritability and mood swings – If may be your coworkers or family members who alert you to this symptom. Take it seriously because it can be yet another indicator that an injury has occurred.
Whether it is a few days, weeks, or even months after your car accident, be sure to head to your doctor if these symptoms arise.
Personal Injury Attorneys in San Diego, CA
If you have suffered an injury in a car accident, even if the symptoms didn’t display right away, you deserve compensation from the party at fault. To deal with car insurance companies that want to pay out as little as possible, you need the help of the experienced personal injury attorneys at Petrov Law Firm. Contact us today at 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More
In the US, there are about 90 million dogs in peoples’ homes as pets. So with that many dogs around people all of the time, you may not be surprised to find out that there are about 4.5 million dog bites each year. While most people do not require medical attention following a bite, about 1 in 5 will.
If you are bitten by a dog, here is a quick guide to getting the proper help:
- Acquire contact info from the owner. If you cannot verify that the dog has received the proper vaccinations, you will require rabies inoculation.
- Use soap and water to clean the bite area thoroughly. This will help to prevent an infection from occurring.
- If a serious injury has occurred and you cannot care for your own injuries or reach a medical facility on your own, call 911. For less serious injuries, you may call your doctor and ask for advice on whether a trip to the ER is needed.
- Contact the veterinarian who treats the dog directly. Don’t take the owner’s word for it that the pet is up to date on immunizations.
- Keep track of any medical bills you accrue or work you may have missed due to the injury and bring this information with you to your personal injury lawyer.
Dog Bite Attorney in San Diego, California
The attorneys at Petrov Law Firm are experts in the law when it comes to injuries due to dog attacks. If you have been injured by a dog bite, contact us today at 619-344-0360 to schedule a consultation.Read More
In California, compensation for motor vehicle accidents depends on fault. In most cases, it is easy to determine who is at fault in an accident if one driver was distracted or breaking the law and the other was not. However, there are other times when assigning fault is a little more complicated. For example, what if the accident was caused by road debris?
Road Hazards that can Cause an Accident
Here are a few examples of road hazards or debris that can contribute to a collision:
- Potholes – A driver may not see the pothole and could hit it, thereby damaging a tire. Or a driver may end up in an accident while trying to avoid a dangerous pothole.
- Road work – When road work has been performed, traffic cones, signs, or other debris may be left behind accidentally by workers.
- Dropped items – When a truck is being used to haul items, something may fly off the back without the driver noticing.
What Determines Fault?
Here are a few things that can determine who’s fault the accident is:
- Where was the road hazard and who is responsible for it ending up there?
- Whose jurisdiction is the road? There are federal, state, and locally maintained roadways.
- Was negligence involved in leaving the debris, or did it get dropped as you arrived?
- Was the road hazard the cause of the damages?
San Diego, CA Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in an accident involving a road hazard or debris, contact Petrov Law Firm to determine if you deserve compensation. We can help you to calculate your damages and to determine where the blame lies. Call 619-344-0360 to get started today.Read More